Accents!

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    im canadian...apparently we have an accent i dont think so though. i love southern accents and british/finnish/australian/ accents french accents bother me

The phrase 'British accents' grinds my gears. For the size of the country we're one of the most versatile places in the world for accents... this ranges from Northern Irish to Scottish, to Cockney, to Manc etc etc etc. Don't write everyone off just like that!

Definitely lol, almost every village has a different accent! Not to mention wales and scotland are different countries, so they also have a second side language that they can choose to learn!
  • I have an accent. I speak three languages and it makes it hard to enunciation many English, Portuguese and Spanish words. People tell me that I have a pretty accent. I like English accents. They are so sexy. I also love any foreigner accent, but have problems understanding some GA, NC or TX southern accents. I can't never understand it. LOL.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    I love all accents...it makes life so interesting.

I live in the UK, born in Germany and raised in the south of the USA. Everyone here says I sound Canadian...???
    My favorite UK accent has to be those near Cardiff area.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
    Irish or Scottish...any guys w/ those accents can read the phone book to me & I'd be drooling :wink:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I have a Californian accent...whatever the hell that means. I usually match the colloquial vernacular to whomever I'm speaking with. If they're hood, hood comes out. If they speak proper English, then so it shall be when I speak. Apparently, I develop a twang if I'm speaking to a southerner. If it's online, there is no reason to ask what accent I have.
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Can't stand Paula Deen's accent. She sounds "slow". Love East coast and New England accents. I wish I had an accent!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Can't stand Paula Deen's accent. She sounds "slow". Love East coast and New England accents. I wish I had an accent!

hehe you do have an accent........... unfortunately it's only to other people so you don't get to hear it.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    I like most accents. The only problem I have is with accents that are thick to the point that I cannot understand what the person is saying.

Funny fact.... my accent changes... When in a mexican restaurant - I develop a Spanish accent when ordering. At a hibachi grill - honest - I was not being mean... I literally answered the waitress and told her that I would like some 'flied lice'. Ugh - still embarrassed to this day!! :blushing:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    I don't mind the southside Chicago accent.....you know, the over pronounciation of the letter "a". My boyfriend has a combo north and south side accent....its tolerable. I, on the other hand, hate my accent. Its a northside Chicago accent. We under pronounce things. Words kind of melt together to the point where 3 words sound like 1.

I find Australian, New Zealand and South African accents sexy. They both has a certain flare.
  • im canadian...apparently we have an accent i dont think so though. i love southern accents and british/finnish/australian/ accents french accents bother me

The phrase 'British accents' grinds my gears. For the size of the country we're one of the most versatile places in the world for accents... this ranges from Northern Irish to Scottish, to Cockney, to Manc etc etc etc. Don't write everyone off just like that!

pardon me ill narrow it to the london area as thats where my mum is from
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,210 Member
    ^^ no offence taken...

I am a cockney (South West London) girl, so I'm a 'cor blimey' type. :bigsmile:

I struggle with understanding people from Newcastle / Geordies (in the UK). Nothing personal just can't seem to make them out.

I don't really dislike any accents. I like West indian accents, I think that is associated to a friend of the family though as he was a big influence on me.

I think accents show variety, even in Britain there are tons of regional accents and people seem to pick them up easier than others which is interesting. My half sister grew up just up the road from me but isn't as broad as me... I have never lost my accent though and won't now, I left london more years ago than I lived in it!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I don't mind the southside Chicago accent.....you know, the over pronounciation of the letter "a". My boyfriend has a combo north and south side accent....its tolerable. I, on the other hand, hate my accent. Its a northside Chicago accent. We under pronounce things. Words kind of melt together to the point where 3 words sound like 1.

I find Australian, New Zealand and South African accents sexy. They both has a certain flare.

"Australian, New Zealand and South African" ... "both [has]" ... :indifferent:

I count 3 there, L. You're on your iPhone at work again, huh? Hahaha.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    I have a Californian accent...whatever the hell that means. I usually match the colloquial vernacular to whomever I'm speaking with. If they're hood, hood comes out. If they speak proper English, then so it shall be when I speak. Apparently, I develop a twang if I'm speaking to a southerner. If it's online, there is no reason to ask what accent I have.

that's hilarious! My brother in law does that, too!
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    I laugh at Boston accents, but dont hate them.
    I went there and made my friend try to park a car at Harvard yard just to call friends and make him tell them what we were doing.

I have a midwest mumbler accent. I swear where I grew up we could say entire sentences and make em sound like one word. Not in the redneck way, just in the were really lazy way I guess.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    I'm not a fan of Alaskan accents...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I'm a great imitator of accents! My friends and family always urge me on when we get together to speak the same sentence in a different accent. Normally I do all Asian accents, English, Irish, Scottish and Hispanic.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Like someone else stated I find myself picking up others accents when I speak with them. My nail tech is from south Vietnam and I tend to leave words out and mis-tense what Im saying.... haha I guess its just my of accommodating her. I must think we have a "better" conversation this way.

Im from NE Wisconsin............. I HATE the way people say Wesss COOOn SINN. Uhm..... NO. When on the phone with telemarketers and such they usually comment about my upper midwest "accent", which shouldnt be confused with the Yooper accent. (Upper MI) Which I cant STAND... Say Yah to da U.P. Eh...................

I Do love a southern accent. There is something about that twang that makes me assume your the sweetest person alive. :o)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I've never found an accent I dislike, although I hate nasally voices like "The Nanny" shudder ^^

My favorite are asian accents though. Followed by German/Russian. ^^
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,450 Member
    I LOVE pretty much all accents. I wish I had a stronger one! When I lived on the east coast, people always asked me to talk faster. I guess midwest is slow? Love the Boston accent and the Wisconsin one. But other country's make me swoon. haha
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Scottish. Love the accent.

Hate southern accents.

I lived in Chicago then Houston.... I must have one f%cked up accent.