Jillian Micheal's 30 day Shred

Options
Has anyone else done this workout? I did it for the first time last night, and Boy even on easy, it is hard... LOL I thought I was going to die. My arms and legs are so sore. I was thinking of doing this workout for 6 days a week, but now I am thinking to cutting back to 3 days a week and going something light the other 3.

Also, if you have done this dvd workout before, what type of exercise do you put it under on the exercise section? I have No clue.
Thanks
Shay

Replies

• shayk80
    shayk80 Posts: 56
    Options
    Has anyone else done this workout? I did it for the first time last night, and Boy even on easy, it is hard... LOL I thought I was going to die. My arms and legs are so sore. I was thinking of doing this workout for 6 days a week, but now I am thinking to cutting back to 3 days a week and going something light the other 3.

Also, if you have done this dvd workout before, what type of exercise do you put it under on the exercise section? I have No clue.
    Thanks
    Shay
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It kicked my butt too! I would consider it a Circuit Training video, it does aerobics and weight training in intervals.
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    hey Shay....just actually finished my second day on Level 1....see my thread I posted last week JILLIAN MICHAEL'S JUST KICKED MY *kitten*. Lot's of feedback on there, based on an average weight of 150-160 lbs apparently you burn roughly anywhere between 200-300 calories doing this exercise.

You can also check out this website that might be able to narrow it down a little bit better, I find it very helpful.

http://www.healthstatus.com/cbc.html

Day 2 wasn't nearly as bad as the first one, I couldn't walk properly for 3 days after Day 1. I got sick right after it as well, so I didn't really do another work out until almost a week later. Now that I'm back into the swing of things going to the gym and what not, definately not as hard. I figure I'll do Level 1 for another week or so and then give Level 2 a try.

Good luck!! :happy:
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just did this for the first time today and it was killer. I am used to doing Cathe so I thought this would be easy boy was I wrong.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!!!! It is tough but it does deliver results when you combine it with good nutrition. It helped me get over my plateau back in Sep and helped me reach my weight goal. Unfortunately I did not do so well, in terms of my eating habits, from Oct to Dec so I have gained steadily since Oct. Back in Sept, I did not do The Shred every day. I think when you do any kind of strength trng you need at least a day to let your muscles recover. I was also doing and I still do two levels each time. For example one day I would do levels 1 and 2 and two days later levels 2 and 3. I am used to working out for long periods so 20 mins was not enough for me. When I finish this workout I am drenched in sweat!!!!! Love the challenge!!! I wear a HRM so I burn about 400 or so when I do two levels. I would log it in as circuit trng as well. Oh, and the cooldown/stretch is not enough, make sure you stretch out more muscles and for a longer period. I hold my stretches for at least 30 seconds. Good luck!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • shayk80
    Options
    Thanks guys for the great info. I think I am going to rest today and do it again tomorrow.... I just can't wait until I can do the full 20 minutes without stopping to catch my breath or take a sip of water. Plus my horrible knees didn't like the work out much... But I am going to jump over the knee hurdle and continue until I can't continue no more.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    love love love that dvd
  • shayk80
    Options
    I was also wondering, what would I catagorize this dvd? Would you put it under Cardio or Strength? for Circuit training? Thanks
  • aniel
    aniel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read here that a lot of people had problem walking after first day of exercises, so i did extra stretching after and i was fine next day :)

Its day 4 for me today, and im finding level 1 easy :)
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I read here that a lot of people had problem walking after first day of exercises, so i did extra stretching after and i was fine next day :)

I did Day 2 yesterday and not really sore today, extra stretching for sure helps!!
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    Options
    I was dying first time i tried. But my intention was 6 x a week and so far i'm holding on to it. It is my 2nd week and I did 6x - realy proud of that. This 2. week i was on level two.. i'm just afraid of level 3.. the " planke " position- hate it..
    I agree that the stretching is not enough but i continue exercising on my own- now - the first coupple times i was spread on the floor with all four :)
    Have troubles with my knees as well.. but- i'm just determined to do it and not give in, imagining Jillian yelling at me - as you can see on the show she's not a fan of " complains " and tears.. so .. i'm just imagining i'm there and she is yelling :) .. and a million of people are watching me - sounds crazy but.. it does make me get up and move - even though i feel more like just stay on the floor..

The weights- I use different weights for different moves.. anywhere from 4,6,8 lbs.. b/c i don't feel a challange in some moves if i pick a 4 lbs.. and than for others i'm not strong enough to hold 8 lbs.. so i switch them through out the workout..

Let's just stick to it.. we can do it.. sometimes just have to shut off the pain, the excuses, the knees, the " can't breath " - and just do it.. I'm working out with Billy Blanks a lot and have his " kick- move " on the wall with a huge sign I made for myself " this is not the easy way - but it is the only way - just do it".. so i keep looking at it and it reminds me of my goal .. 90.5 lbs to go !
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

what amount of weight are you using?

while my endurance has improved, i still wouldn't call it easy. if you're finding it easy, maybe you should increase the amount of weight you're using for strength training.
  • shayk80
    Options
    I am getting ready to do my day 2 level 1 tonight. Last night I skipped and shot some hoops with my son and hubby. I was a bit more sore today, but I am feeling better tonight.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I just bought this today at walmart. I'm excited about doing it and hearing all this great feed back makes me happy I bought it.
    I'm not in horrible shape but defitantly need some toning. I really have stopped exercising so I need something that will keep my attention.
    HOpe everyone is doing well with there shred:drinker:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • abillings9
    Options
    I just bought this and today was day 2 of level 1 for me. I thought today was as bad as yesterday! I am so sore; I thought my legs would be the problem but when I woke up this morning it was my arms and chest that was really sore. Then after I did the workout today my legs joined the crowd. LOL Can't wait to see what I feel like tomorrow morning! :sick:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    it does get easier....until you try the next level and then it's not as bad

I did level 3 today - and OUCH
  • Roxie65
    Options
    Did 30 day shred last nite really don't like the jump ropes and there are way to many jumping jacks feel like I am back in grade school PE class. I can only get my HR up to 198 any suggestions?
  • shayk80
    Options
    I am doing my Shred everyother day.. So tomorrow I would be on day 3 of level 1, except I am away for the weekend at my parents and forgot my dvd. So I am going to try to find it on Comcast on demand.

now the first day I did mine, the next day my chest and arms hurt ALOT more then my legs, and same thing with the next day. I can't seem to keep doing those jump rope things... My knees don't like those at all.

I will say I am doing pilates on the days I am not doing the Shred and I LOVE Pilates.
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    Options
    Level one - i got comfortable with it now - and don't get out of breath like first coupple days.. definetely don't like the jumping stuff.. but i thought that my knees are hurting from the lounges ? I'm noticing some pain- not painfully -pain, but " kracking-making noise " stuff in my knees since i'm working out with her.. i don't know if that's something to worry about , am i putting to much stress on my knees ? or should i just ignore it until i get into better shape.. ?sometimes it's hard to know what kind of discomfort is normal and what not..
  • Roxie65
    Options
    I haven't yet gotten sore from this workout and I have done it twice. I will be doing it again today.