C25K Beginners Running Group – Week 1 (Closed)

Options

Replies

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    End of the day progress report (I will post every evening):

2mpwem8.jpg
  • RunnerPrincess
    Options
    Ok, I realize this is a closed group but I wanted to jump in and tell you guys to stick with this. You Can Do It :smile:
    I started a C25K 3 years ago (never ran before that...not once!) I finished the program and havent stopped running since. I have run too many races to list! I also have lost 40lbs since starting running. Sometimes the hard part is just getting started.
    Good luck to you all!!
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Ok, I realize this is a closed group but I wanted to jump in and tell you guys to stick with this. You Can Do It :smile:
    I started a C25K 3 years ago (never ran before that...not once!) I finished the program and havent stopped running since. I have run too many races to list! I also have lost 40lbs since starting running. Sometimes the hard part is just getting started.
    Good luck to you all!!

Thank you soooo much for the encouragement!! A 40lb loss is awesome. I know we all have it in us to get where you are. Support and motivation is a huge plus, thanks!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Shari. I started C25K on Monday and have completed W1D1 and W1D2 and will be doing W1D3 on Friday. I just joined the site and would like to get into your C25K group. I feel the more people I tell about C25K and talk to about it, the more likely I am to complete it.:ohwell:

I wish you all good luck in your adventure!:flowerforyou:
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The graph looks really great Felicia! :happy:
    Good luck to you all!!

Thanks! This is such a great motivation to continue and work hard. 40 lbs is an amazing loss!
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Whew!!!

This has got to help cause it is hard!
    Felicia, I am impressed with your running speed on this. I am doing 3.5 walking and 4.5 running. I can't imagine increasing that speed. I will be luck to increase the time of the run. LOL!

Wednesday - 9/14/11
    a. Accomplished: W1D2
    b. The run was: Not getting any easier yet!
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Whew!!!

Felicia, I am impressed with your running speed on this. I am doing 3.5 walking and 4.5 running. I can't imagine increasing that speed. I will be luck to increase the time of the run. LOL!

Wednesday - 9/14/11

A job well done, YaaY!! Don't worry about the speed. For some reason, when I jog below 5.5, I tire quicker. I tried different speeds, and that one seemed to stick. As time progresses, you'll definitely be upping your speed. I'm glad you got through it. I think I'm gonna do W1D2 tonight. The first run was tough, so I imagine the 2nd to be tough too. Hang in there!!
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Shari. I started C25K on Monday and have completed W1D1 and W1D2 and will be doing W1D3 on Friday. I just joined the site and would like to get into your C25K group. I feel the more people I tell about C25K and talk to about it, the more likely I am to complete it.:ohwell:
    I wish you all good luck in your adventure!:flowerforyou:

Hi Shari, it's great that you started this week, and I tell ppl about C25K all of the time too! There are a few C25K support groups that are currently open. Here are a couple of links. Best of luck in your journey:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/324491-couch-to-5k-general-support
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/336638-c25k-group-starting-9-6-open-to-anyone?hl=c25k&page=2#posts-4591075
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I suspect most everyone is already familiar with these links, but just in case..

This is an iPhone/iPod app for C25K. It provides audible clues when you need to transition from walking to running (and you can play your own music at the same time). Certainly not required, but easier than focusing on a watch.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c25k-couch-to-5k/id301233668?mt=8

This is a guy who made his own podcasts with audible clues for walking/running. Free, but you have to listen to his music selection.
    http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

Instructions on how to make your own C25K podcasts.
    http://diy-c25k-mp3s.com/diy-c25k-mp3s/make-your-own-mp3s/

Here's a bunch of info on shin splints. Here's hoping we won't need any of it.
    http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Shin-Splints-101--Treatment-and-Prevention-Tips.htm
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hello dear future runners. My name is Yasmin. 35 year old mom with four children ages 11 to 4. I never run in my life but dreams to be a runner one day. This is going to be make it or break it for me but most definately make it as I'm not willing to give up.
    Wednesday - 9/14/11
    b. The jogging: wasn't fun and my butt hurt like hot peppers.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Whew!!!

Wednesday - 9/14/11

I'm doing the exact same speeds. Hopefully with time and consistency we'll be able to run faster. Right now, I'm more concerned with sticking with the program. I have a poor track record of starting and stopping fitness regimes/diets.

We can do this! Slow or fast, let's find a way to get it done.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    I suspect most everyone is already familiar with these links, but just in case..

This is an iPhone/iPod app for C25K. It provides audible clues when you need to transition from walking to running (and you can play your own music at the same time). Certainly not required, but easier than focusing on a watch.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c25k-couch-to-5k/id301233668?mt=8

This is a guy who made his own podcasts with audible clues for walking/running. Free, but you have to listen to his music selection.
    http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

Instructions on how to make your own C25K podcasts.
    http://diy-c25k-mp3s.com/diy-c25k-mp3s/make-your-own-mp3s/

Here's a bunch of info on shin splints. Here's hoping we won't need any of it.
    http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Shin-Splints-101--Treatment-and-Prevention-Tips.htm

Thanks sooooo much!! I have some info, but not all of this. I'll definitely use the podcasts next week. This week I'll finish off in the gym, but plan to run outdoors for week 2. Thanks for sharing!
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Hello dear future runners. My name is Yasmin. 35 year old mom with four children ages 11 to 4. I never run in my life but dreams to be a runner one day. This is going to be make it or break it for me but most definately make it as I'm not willing to give up.
    Wednesday - 9/14/11

Hi Yasmin, Oooo Noooo, your poor bum!! It'll get better as you progress. My ankles and hip are hurting this morning, but it'll work itself out once I start moving.

Question - Did you complete your first run yesterday, or your second? If it's your second run when did you complete W1D1?
  • TL136
    TL136 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wednesday - 9/14/11

Hi Yasmin, Oooo Noooo, your poor bum!! It'll get better as you progress. My ankles and hip are hurting this morning, but it'll work itself out once I start moving.

Question - Did you complete your first run yesterday, or your second? If it's your second run when did you complete W1D1?

I am sorry to hear your hips hurt, but glad to hear I am not alone. By the second to the last run interval my hips were feeling it. Today I can tell I did something yesterday!!!
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ALRIGHT! W1D1 outta the way!

a. Accomplished: W1D1
    b. The run was: ...actually much easier that I was expecting. Maybe all of my progress from my last attempt wasn't completely wasted. Although, I suppose I should wait til they up the running time more before completely making my judgement.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    ALRIGHT! W1D1 outta the way!

a. Accomplished: W1D1
    b. The run was: ...actually much easier that I was expecting. Maybe all of my progress from my last attempt wasn't completely wasted. Although, I suppose I should wait til they up the running time more before completely making my judgement.

Yaay! Glad you got it done, and glad to hear that it wasn't too bad for you!
  • TL136
    TL136 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    W1D2 done
    It was harder this time then yesterday. I now uderstand that for a beginner the everyother day philosophy is important. I didn't think I was that sore. I think I will do my next run on Saturday. Just go for a walk tomorrow.

I will say it was nice at the end to see how many calories I burned. I have the C25K app on my iPhone and there was an add on I purchased. It will calculate your distance and then at the end you put in your walking speed and running speed and weight. It takes those figures and will tell you how many calories you burned.

Smiles to ALL!
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    W1D2 done
    It was harder this time then yesterday. I now uderstand that for a beginner the everyother day philosophy is important. I didn't think I was that sore. I think I will do my next run on Saturday. Just go for a walk tomorrow.

I will say it was nice at the end to see how many calories I burned. I have the C25K app on my iPhone and there was an add on I purchased. It will calculate your distance and then at the end you put in your walking speed and running speed and weight. It takes those figures and will tell you how many calories you burned.

Smiles to ALL!

Oh, sorry to hear that it was harder, but you got it done - Yaay!!. Sounds like an awesome app to have!! I'm headed out to complete my walk/jog. I'm excited because I'm going to try it outside today.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hoping to do my run tomorrow morning. Although my legs kind of hurt already, hopefully I'll be ok and as happy as I was after my last run.
  • AngelOiCu812
    AngelOiCu812 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bring it girl ,add me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I m here for the long run ,I hope..?................. this is my first time running ever and Im 45 and loving it !
    I did my run walk tonight and felt exilarated !!!!!!!!!!!! lovin life.....