How much do you spend on groceries each week?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
This came up in a thread last night and a guy called BS on me spending less than $122 per week on a family of 3. I can EASILY do that and in fact spend no more than $100 per week.
Another guy thought I was full of BS too saying he spent $60 on some veggies and a tub of dip. Not organic. But when I compared the cost of the same items where I shop, it was $26.
I shop at Safeway and don't bother buying "name" or "popular" brands. I always look at club card savings and refer to weekly coupons and use that as my decisions to purchase what I need that week. Meat stays the same week in and week out.

So how much do you spend and do you think you could do better?

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I roughly spend almost $100 a week and do not buy extra "fluff" and rarely any name brands, but I do purchase lots of chicken, eggs, bread and milk.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    bout $50 a week feeds me and my brother.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Most that ive ever spent on groceries was around $80

But on average its around $60-$70 a week
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There are 2 in my household and I spend an average of about $40.00 a week, but I'm an avid couponer and sales shopper. Most of that money goes to meat and produce.:wink:
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I shopped last night actually. 2 people, 1 cat who gets homemade food, and 2 lizards who eat produce...for $45 we got enough to last almost 2 weeks.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    200 dollars a week for a family of four. It's hard though, because I eat a lot of fresh produce, and my brother is all processed :smile: Oh, and we have 2 dogs and 2 cats...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    See! I knew that $100 dollars was about the average! One of the guys said I must live in a small town with a lot of mom and pop stores that sell generic food.
    Oh BTW, these 2 were Shakeology proponents. One was a distributor. The debate was how a $3-$4 shake was cheaper than many meals.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I spend way too much money and seriously need to scale it down

But I think a lot of people opt for the pre-cut veggies, bagged lettuce, frozen "healthy" meals... A lot of that kind of stuff IS over-priced and those complainers are just enabling that
  • carriem29
    Options
    I average $100 a week for a family of four (although my two kids are pretty young). I do a big grocery shopping one week and then the next I just pick up odds and ends.
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    on average it's 165 to 180 here for a family of four - we live in RI ... which im noticing is a lot higher than down south, mid west...??
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I don't drive, so I have only one overpriced option for food. They have started having weekly specials, so I use that to cheapen things... So about $50/week give or take. I eat $8 in carrots, celery, and broccoli every 3 days alone... So I def couldn't do what you do!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Between 80-100 a week for a family of four. I shop at our local food co-op, trader joes, farmer's market and sometimes whole foods. We are vegetarian family. I make all our meals from scratch.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I spend probably $100-$150 per week, just on myself. I'm a food snob, I'll admit it. Brand and quality are important to me, and I rarely even look at the price of my food. And that doesn't even include the fact that I pretty much buy my lunch every day at work...

And just food for thought: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U097wiZGk4
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    See! I knew that $100 dollars was about the average! One of the guys said I must live in a small town with a lot of mom and pop stores that sell generic food.
    Oh BTW, these 2 were Shakeology proponents. One was a distributor. The debate was how a $3-$4 shake was cheaper than many meals.

I used to use that logic as to why a $5 footlong a day was okay (half for lunch half for dinner) but now I have caved and think I spend less on higher quality foods now... Although my protein bars are almost $1 each!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I would think this will vary greatly depending A: On where you live, B: on what you're eating, C: how many family members are being fed.

I spend around 250-300 a month (just for myself) BUT I have a great deal of allergies and special dietary needs (and I live in Northern Canada where supposedly the cost of shipping the food makes the food much more expensive).
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Usually $125/week.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    About $200 - $250 a week for a family of 4. That includes everything I buy at grocery stores like toiletries and cleaning supplies, as well as food. I stock up on things when there's a good deal. If nothing is reasonably priced it can drop to below $100 for that week.

I spend more feeding my car than I do my whole family.
  • leanneceleste
    leanneceleste Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live in San Francisco where EVERYTHING is expensive. Probably like $35-75 a week - and that's just me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I live in San Francisco where EVERYTHING is expensive. Probably like $35-75 a week - and that's just me.
    I live in the TRI VALLEY area (San Ramon, Dublin, Pleasanton, Livermore) and it's not cheap to live out here either!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Hmm...when I get just what we need and no extras or stocking up, I can spend around 60. And that with lean meats and veggies. It's just us two so i can see how you could buy for 3 for about 120 bucks easily.