What do you do with your "fat clothes"

Options

Replies

• Shellitz
    Options
    Donate some - but ebay some too - to fund new skinnier clothes :)
  • gods_gal
    Options
    I'm going to hang onto one pair of the large pants but give everything else to my little sister.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide, make sure it does involve them leaving your possession. I've dropped three or so sizes a couple times in the past and have kept the clothes packed away. This makes it way too easy to allow yourself to gain the weight back. I believe I wouldn't have gained the weight back if I didn't have the clothes buried in the closet to run to when my new clothes starting getting snug again. If I know it's either buy more new clothes or start watching what I'm eating again I'm pretty sure I'll just start watching my meals. *This* time I will donate them.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    save some for your before and after pictures or donate them
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide, make sure it does involve them leaving your possession. I've dropped three or so sizes a couple times in the past and have kept the clothes packed away. This makes it way too easy to allow yourself to gain the weight back. I believe I wouldn't have gained the weight back if I didn't have the clothes buried in the closet to run to when my new clothes starting getting snug again. If I know it's either buy more new clothes or start watching what I'm eating again I'm pretty sure I'll just start watching my meals. *This* time I will donate them.

i shop name brand so my clothes are expensive.... i guess that's why i just dont want to give them away... but it's not like keeping them is any different than giving them away... that and i guess i'm afraid to gain weight again, because i've tried a few times in the past to lose, and just gained it all back =( but everyone is right, i do need to get rid of them. at least the pants! some of the shirts i'll keep for when i get pregnant again, maternity clothes are so expensive!
  • livnlife
    Options
    I say donate them, but I'm keeping one pair of pants. I'll think it'll be fun to see the size difference at the end
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Ebay them or give to charity.
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options
    Considering I have lived in floppy t-shirts and stretchy pants for the last 3 years since I didn't want to fund larger size jeans than the 16's I had hanging in the closet I will probably just wear the torn/stained/etc.for cleaning and sleeping until they are just too crazy big and then trash them and any that are in decent shape I will give to my pregnant friend.

I already have given away my 1 pair of size 18 Jeans - right back to the lady who gave them to me because they were too big for her
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Give them to your jealous "fat" friends, who did not support you during this process :)))))) I've read that happens a lot, so don't get mad, get even :)

Love this...Best revenge is to live well!!!
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Donate! : ) Or do you have any consignment stores were you could "sell" them? I noticed you said you have lots of good name brand stuff . . so that's what I do with my "good" stuff - I take them to secondhand/consignment stores that will sell them on my behalf. It beats having to have a yard sale and you can possibly make some $$.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I give them away to friends who are plus sized that are not in the mindset just yet to begin this journey or donate to goodwill sometimes, unfortunately one of the people I donate clothes to is a 15 year old girl who is around 240 lbs pretty much prediabetic already
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    As soon as something is too big, I give it to my housekeeper. She takes them and donates them to her church. I don't let myself keep bigger clothes around.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I give most away but some I have used in my quilts.
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    After going from a size 52 suit to a 42...48 pants to an approaching 32, I learned that you can cut down a suit 3 x's, until your pants have 1 pocket over the *kitten*...I am cutting down my third round of suits right now. The poor beat up, constantly altered suits I no longer wear --) donate, donate, donate.

I am glad you ran this thread..it reminded me that I have about 20 white dress shirts to donate, neck sizes 22-24...I now wear a 16 3/4 neck.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I used to give them to My mom ( she used to just sneak my old clothes from my sell bags anyways lol) or the consinement stores for money and anything that was to beat up I throw away . I don't have much clothes now that I'm losing weight and most are already from when I was smaller a year ago and are very tight or I hope to fit again , the rest are new and could fit me for the next 50 pounds I lose,
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    Hahaha it's actually kind of funny. My girlfriend was super super tiny at 5'6'' and about 110 pounds and had pretty tiny clothes to match I could never dream of fitting into. Meanwhile I was just about bursting out of my bigger sized clothes. I've lost some weight and can fit into her size clothes now, so she's passed a bunch to me she wasn't using so I don't have to buy new clothes as I'm still losing... and meanwhile she put on a few pounds to a more reasonable weight for her size and I was able to pass some of my clothes to her in return. It's the circle of clothes.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I love this question. The following is a quote from my success story blog.

"I am stationed in Japan, like I said, and on March 11th we had a very
    devastating earthquake as most people know. It was terrifying, but the
    details of that are for another blog. I mention it here because we started
    collecting donations on our base. I knew that basically none of my clothes
    fit me any more. (I mean not even close. My clothes fell off me. I went from
    a size 18/20, 2XL to a 6, small. I also went from a 40D to a 34B.) I went
    through every article of clothing that I owned and started bagging up all of
    my clothes. I have seen many posts here on the MFP message boards about what
    to do with your “fat” clothes. For me, it wasn’t hard. It wasn’t even a
    decision. I knew I was going to get rid of all of them. Even before the
    earthquake, I was going to donate them or give them away. I knew they were
    going to be leaving my house. Even the ones that I liked. Which by the way,
    as a fat person, why is it that I liked any of the clothes that I had. The
    only reason that I liked anything that I wore was because I thought that it
    made me look not as fat. Why would I possibly want to keep that. I wanted
    to reward my new self with new clothes. Now, my uniforms are VERY expensive
    to replace at the rate I was losing weight. ONE uniform costs me $120 to
    replace complete with patches. I have about 16 different uniforms not
    including all of our uniform coats and jackets. But, even with my old
    uniforms, I gave them away. I barely even thought twice about it. I didn’t
    want the reminders of my depression in my house anywhere. Not in a bag in
    storage, not anywhere. I donated my civilian clothes to the earthquake
    victims and gave my uniforms away. I swear I couldn’t get rid of them fast
    enough."
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I ebay mine to fund a new skinnier wardrobe!
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    The ones that cost a bit more or have a desirable 'label' I would stick on ebay (most of them are from there anyway) to get a few pounds back to buy more, some go to charity shop and rest go to school who can 'sell' the clothing by weight for school funds
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't know yet. A big part of me wants to just hide them away in a cupboard in case I get fat again. I know it's not a good way to think, and I might be seeing myself up for failure, but I have lost and re-gained SO MANY times that, as much as I tell myself this time is different, I can't help but doubt it a little :( I will probably just keep most of the tops either way. I don't mind baggy clothes.

I get over this way of thinking then I will certainly donate some but I will probably have to sell some too or I will never be able to afford new clothes! I also have some clothes I love which I may try to get altered to fit.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!