HCG versus lapband

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think the lap band has a much higher success rate. You should go with that option.
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not my dr. has lost 90 lbs in a few months doint the HCG shots. Hes currently at the 500 cals a day which i find extreme (i eat that at breakfast) but he assures me hes no longer hungry for more or craving "bad" foods. I also have a family member who had the lapband procedure done several years ago and at first she was doing and looking amazing. But she eventually went right back to her old ways and the bad behavior she was used to and would literally eat til she would throw up and a while later eat again. Thing is these quick fixes do make it easy and you do loose weight but they do nothing to fix the problem within ourselves, our minds or the behavior that causes us to over eat, binge, etc. Shes now pretty much bigger than ever. Im not gonna lie i myself have considered the hcg shots but im going to wait and keep busting my booty at the gym and eat correctly and see how this works for me.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think until you can develop a healthy relationship with food, it will be very difficult to lose& keep weight off. Not only about the weight- but long term health. Doing a quick fix will most likely wind you right back to where you started sooner or later. A nutritionist or therapist would be more beneficial. Since you mentioned it, insurance will help cover the cost of either of those.

To answer your question, in elementary school a friend's mom got the lap band. She died soon after. It was horrible& it was really hard on him. That is my only experience with it....

I hope you don't see this as "Attacking" you or anything. I think I speak for most when I say even though you are a stranger I don't want to see you (or anyone) get hurt.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I know several friends who have done HCG. They have lost weight, and so far seem to be keeping it off. BUT they don't look healthy. They look like they have been sick, really sick. I agree with the previous commenters who say that your control issues should be addressed. Even if you do the HCG, if you haven't addressed your control issues, you will just end back up in the same position.

Lapband I don't know much about, but from other people's experiences, I think it's extreme and possibly dangerous, and seems to be for those with LOTS more to lose than you, and maybe as a last resort if you have HONESTLY exhausted everything else. I think you need to focus on life style changes. You don't need a trainer for that. You can walk, dance in your living room, buy a used mini trampoline online for cheap. Be creative, it doesn't mean you have to be at the gym.... just keep moving. Work on good food choices and use MFP to stay within your targets. There are so many great people here to support you.

I also agree, reading through the posts that no one has been mean, or attacking. Just honest. People wouldn't even take the time to post if they didn't care. They are just trying to help. You seemed really readily defensive. Maybe just take a moment to have some gratitude that this many people took time out of their lives and responded to you, and were willing to share their knowledge. That is pretty big hearted if you ask me. You need to hear both sides before you make a decision this big. You can't block out what you don't want to hear and still make a good decision.

Good luck with whatever path you decide to take.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    HCG is simply a fraud. Simple as that.
    Anyone would lose weight on 500 calories per day, and the price tag for the injections is inexcusable.
    Eventually you will need to eat a lot more than 500 calories and your metabolism will be shot and you will gain weight much more easily.

Yep. I found like 7 studies showing that it isn't the injections or drops that cause any weightloss....it's the eating 500 calories a day that causes the loss.

If you're looking for something that you won't waste your money on....do lapband. That said, I do agree that healthy eating and a lifestyle change is the best way to go....but it's ultimately your decision.

Good luck! :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I never said it didn't. I just feel like I need some help that my medical insurance will cover because I don't have money to hire a trainer or anything expensive.

I hope you realize that insurance is not going to cover everything with lap band and HGC.. there are going to be some out of pocket costs. If you can't afford a trainer(which is prob. a lot less then these two options) how are you going to pay for the out of pocket costs?

I highly suggest you get some therapy first for your self control issues, and then try again.
  • jedi9393
    Options
    I have a lapband and it is the best thing for me. To be honest it limits the amount of food I can intake, but people fail cause a lot of people are emotional eaters. If you are an emotional eater or binge its gonna be hard. You have to know what your food issues are and determine if its just your appetite or a mental thing. Also, how much weight do you want to lose? 30-40lbs can be done. I have to lost 100lbs.

With the lapband you have to eat healthy and excersize is very much a player. The only problem I had before was portion control. I already do Paleo-Atkins and workout. The lapband is just a tool to get me to the next level. i was banded 09/02/11 and lost 22 lbs. Hardly anyone can keep up with very low calorie diet for a long time. The hunger will kick in eventually. I currently eat about 600-700 calories per day. Dont get me started on starvation mode. I'm a skeptic. I try to stagger my calories. higher some days then back low. I dont have any eating issues. I eat slowly, I cant eat pastas, bread or lots of starches. Of course I didnt eat those things before the band, but a lot of people think that once they have the band then they dont have to watch what they eat. Also, I dont understand if you have the band and having problems, you must return to your surgeon. There is no excuse for vomitting, being sick and etc unless you are eating too much, too fast or something you shouldnt. Lap band is all about follow up. And finding the right center is the key. people want a quick fix. To have that magic pill, product, formula, diet etc that allows them to eat whatever and lost weight. Well guess what? Its a fantasy, doesnt exist. You cant be lazy. You have to change what food you eat and how you look at food. Yes, I know your skinny friend can eat whatever and not gain, great. Thats not us.

With the lapband the key is finding an all comprehensive center that helps you from day one. Lapband is very safe, look at the statistics. People confuse it with gastric bypass and stuff like that. Not even close. You can have it removed, it is reversable. So far my eating or "diet" hasnt changed. I am full quicker and with less food. I researched my options for over a year. Dont listen to peoples opinions. Do your own research. I dont know much about HCG, but if people are failing with the lapband then I ask why. If you have band erosion or leakage then I can understand, but I had a co-worker that failed, but she wanted to eat fast food all the time then complain that the band wasnt working for her. if you have any questions just send me a message.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it just sounds like you need a very strong support system. I know how it feels to be mad at your youself for lack of willpower. It's a very helpless feeling. Why not add a few friends on here and use your news feed for support whenever you feel like you are going down the wrong path? Is there another person in your life who is also trying to lose weight that you can buddy up with?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ok look...I have been on and off of diets my whole life, I have a lot of self control issues and basically I have lost a lot of faith that I can do this on my own. I understand that eating right and exercising will get you to lose weight, OBVIOUSLY. I never said it didn't. I just feel like I need some help that my medical insurance will cover because I don't have money to hire a trainer or anything expensive. Not everyone has the same success by themselves. I hate how every time I post on the forums I feel attacked, all I wanted was some personal experiences from a neutral standpoint, thank you for the people that did give me that. But I don't like feeling yelled at, I wouldn't do that to anyone else. I'm not trying to find a shortcut or a crutch, just a helping hand. I would still put in all the work that your supposed to put in in achieving a healthier lifestyle.

I was reading up to the point were you posted this,I have to say no one,not one person attacked you.Someone saying I think this is a really bad idea is not and attack.
    Ok now that I got that out of the way let me say I never ever say anything on these threads I just post the link to the HCG support thread and move on.I just feel like its your body and you are going to do what you want,I also do not like to speak on things I have no experiance with. Heres my probolem with what you said above. You said you cant do it on your own,and that you have control issues if this is the case how will you ever have the control to eat 500 calories a day of a fairly restricted diet because to me that sounds like it takes a whole lot of control.And if you can do that then you have the control you need to do it on your own.
    With the lap band ive heard alot of bad and alot of good,if it was me I would try as hard as I can to see if I could do it on my own before doing something as big a surgery. You dont need a trainner or anything expensive to lose weight I didnt.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, with only being 20 years old, why would you want to do these extreme measures? There are tons of healthy alternatives. Keep in mind, diets don't work because the aren't sustainable. Do stuff that you can maintain you whole life, which is eat clean and exercise. You are young, so please take advantage of this.
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well, I for one have lost over 50 lbs on HCG. I've had neighbors do lap band and are still struggling. One thing I will say about HCG, while you will likely lose weight (most lose 3/4 -1lb a day) it is very strict in the first 2 phases, phase 2 being the VLCD (500 calorie) phase and the foods are VERY limited. It can be very tough. That said, after the first week on phase 2 most cravings and hunger issues have subsided and you just get through it knowing it'll pay off in the end. Now, I've done 3 rounds of HCG. First one I lost 30lbs kept it off. 2nd lost 20, put back the whole 20lbs. 3rd lost that 20 again and have kept it off. I mention this because following the protocol after completion is VERY important. The thing about HCG is it can be a fast way to get the initial pounds off. The bad thing is most people treat it like a 'diet' and don't read the entire protocol to make the permanent life changes to keep the weight off permanently. This is the danger spot. Go back to your old ways after done you WILL gain back all the weight you lost and probably then some again. I've been off for 6 months and notice if I get too out of hand one stuff I'll put on some weight. But I follow the protocol immediatly (steak day) to address that and immediately return to my set point. This is a good start for HCG, find the Pounds and Inches guide online and read it. Lapband to me is WAY more extrme. Surgery in my mind is a last ditch effort. Try HCG first and if you don't lose there lapband or bypass may be the ticket for you. HCG is NOT a fraud if done by a real ND or other professional. HCG with holistic drops IS a fraud and should be avoided. I did HCG under ND care and it was tough, but VERY effective. It's not cheap but it does work and any speaking against it have likely not gone to a professional for the program. DMPIZZA has a point about more than 500 calories but has obviously not read the entire protocol to understand HOW and WHEN to add more calories and variety back in. I'm currently at 1600 calories a day and mostly stay within my 2lbs of goal weight. Any further questions about HCG I'll be happy to address, just PM me.

Very glad you said all of that! It's so true. You will lose fast, you will feel better and I was able to get of my blood pressure meds. But, the key is lifestyle change. I've made that as well. Lost 59lbs. Got me a trainer, workout almost daily and feel great!!!
  • LifeChanged1209
    Options
    Honestly, it just sounds like you need a very strong support system. I know how it feels to be mad at your youself for lack of willpower. It's a very helpless feeling. Why not add a few friends on here and use your news feed for support whenever you feel like you are going down the wrong path? Is there another person in your life who is also trying to lose weight that you can buddy up with?

Best advice I've seen yet.

My partner used to feel much of the same way you appear to feel. Nutrisystem diet: fail. Low carb diet: Fail. Doctor assisted diet: fail. MyFitnessPal.com: WIN! She has lost 33 pounds in 3 1/2 months, and is about 1/2 way to her goal.

I don't know you, and I don't know your story, but what I do know, is that you CAN do this once you get your heart and mind in the game.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Someone may have already said this, but you aren't overweight enough for the lapband. You should have a bmi of 40+ to even consider it.
  • wisky16
    Options
    i don't know much about HCG, other than i know people who have tried it and lost nothing. I also know several who have gotten the lap band and lost very little weight and had a lot of issues. In my opinion, if you go to the trouble of a lap band then you might as well do it right and go with gastric bypass surgery, I did in 2008 and went from 410 lbs to my goal weight of 215 lbs and have maintained that weight. My only regret is that i didn't do it years ago. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • faeriegraves
    Options
    Hi, I had the lapband surgery 8 years ago. I have a love/hate relationship with my band, but if it worked 100% i wouldn't be on MFP.
    The thing i do love about my band is that it will not let me overeat anything, unless i go crazy with ice cream or liquid calories. (which i don't). Also you will never be able to eat more than a few bites of bread. All kind of foods get stuck and you will throw it up, and sometimes this will happen at the absolute worse times. If you have to take any meds, they will have a hard time going down.

I didn't have a good doctor, so if you are still looking into lap-band surgery please research and get a doctor you feel very comfortable with. My doctor was just in it for the money, and i stopped seeing him 2 years after my surgery. The lap-band is not a quick fix, initially you may lose a lot, but then the weight loss slows down. If you have any other questions please message me or you can add me as a friend. I've lost over 100 lbs with the band but it has taken me a long time and i have not gained any back in 8 years. Lots of luck to you!!
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    you are only 20 years old! don't mess up your body with either of those...start a healthy lifestyle change, eat right and excercise. try the Chaelean extreme, or Insanity, and then go from there. In 1 year, you will be where you want to be, and in 10 years you will thank yourself.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My opinion:
    HGC: Fad

Band: Dangerous and unnecessary. I've been to a lot of medical conventions and seen the sometimes deadly results of these operations. People who think it will be an easy fix requiring them to to little or no work themselves are mistaken. There really is no "do if for me" answer. I've seen results ranging from the band growing into the organ to the band actually causing the organ to leak by rupturing it due to the patient forcing too much food into their bodies, the general result of this extreme case is death.

"I don't have the self control!" : Get it. We all have the ability to self determine our lives and what goes into our bodies. We just have to make a decision and keep making it every day. The only thing that keeps most of us from succeeding is telling ourselves we can't and then overindulging our self serving wants.

It's tough and I'm sure everyone will think it's mean, but really you can do it without drugs or surgery or hiring someone else to move your body for you. It just takes forcing yourself to have the will to do it.
  • AdrienneB33
    AdrienneB33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is doing HCG and has lost 90lbs on the protocol. She uses the homeopathic HCG and as far as I know she has not complained about any issues with feeling hungry, etc. once she settled into the diet.

I also looked into the diet, but after doing some research, I was concerned with some of the negative side effects that I had seen reported and made the personal decision not to do it. As a result, I do find it to be somewhat frustrating to see her fast loss versus my slow, and sometimes stalled losses.

If you're okay with more of a slow loss, then I would look into other diets that are popular on here as well that have more flexibility.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the point of doing HCG, lapband or GB if in the end you have to make a lifestyle change with food and exercise regardless. So why not save the money and just make the lifestyle change. Not trying to get something started I just dont see the point when in the end you still have to change your eating habits. Unless people do it for health emergency reasons I can understand that. Just my opinion.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend homeopathic HCG at all (unless you have seen a qualified homeopath who has prescribed it for you). It is a homeopathic preparation of a pregnancy hormone.

Homeopathic remedies can have a profound effect if used correctly (and this takes a lot of study & years of practice), by taking homeopathic HCG you risk screwing with your endocrine system - NOT something you want.

I don't personally study homeopathy so my knowledge is limited...but this is the response I got when I asked the homeopathy lecturer at my college.

Homeopathy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWE1tH93G9U