HCG versus lapband

Options

Replies

• cownancy
    Options
    Once again, people do not understand WHY the lapband is helpful in weight loss. It is NOT the same as "eating right and exercising" for people who have been yo-yo dieting and it is NOT gastric bypass, so it is not nearly as "dangerous" or "drastic" as people here make it seem. YES, you do have to undergo anesthesia....for about an hour or so. It is NOT a lengthy operation and you do not have nearly the risks that are associated with the bypass because you are not having your entire digestive system reconstructed.

With that said, you MUST find a Bariatric Center of Excellence and a doctor you really like. You should attend the informational meetings and then the support groups so you can talk candidly with post-op patients and get their input on the practice. I often brag about my doctor because I have met hundreds of his patients and have never heard anyone describe his practice as anything less then phenomenal! They are the most caring and wonderful people! We pay an initial $250 programa fee, which covers lifetime nutritional guidance and coaching, the psychiatric exam and initial bloodwork. From that point forward, each visit to see one of the doctors (not the nutritionists or support groups, etc.) is $15. My normal co-pay is $30, but since he does out of network, he waives everything except the program fee, $15 co-pay and if you have a deductible for the first year. He wants you to come as often as you want or need and NOT be inhibited by the costs. There are now three surgeons, one psychiatrict, a staff of nutritionists/dieticians, one general practitioner, and three nurses in our group. We have support groups available on different days at different times and we have Facebook discussions, a post-op activity group, etc.

Now, SHOULD YOU get the lapband? Only the surgeon can determine if it is for you. Most people who a carb cravers and NOT those who crave liquid calories like sugared sodas and ice cream CAN do well with the band if they are willing to use it as a TOOL to assist in their lifestyle change. YES, you will have to do the same things as you would have to do if you do it without surgery, but there is a HUGE difference......the band makes it easier! Historically, most people who used weight loss surgery were like me,too out of shape to be able to exercise and/or having medical conditions that required weight loss faster than the patient was able to do it on their own for their health. For me, it was both. I needed to lose the weight and could not move well at all. The band has helped me lose 54 pounds with minimal exercise. I am now starting to do movement, trying different things. I guarantee you that there is no way in Hell that I would have gotten one tenth of this weight off without the band.

My surgeon is very cautious about who gets surgery. When I went into him, he refused to do the band if I was still drinking diet soda. I had to go one month without the soda and he knew if I had stopped or not by weight loss numbers. When he was satisfied that I was commited to doing some of it on my own (which would have leveled off in a few weeks and/or been gained back had I not had surgery) he told me that he was ready to do surgery for me. I started at 310 pounds at 5'10" and 54 years old. All I had to commit to do, as far as exercise is concerned, was walk 20 minutes a day. If you do not have a BMI of 40, you can usually be approved for surgery with a BMI of 35 if you have two or more co-morbidities, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes (most people are off their diabetes medication VERY quickly), sleep apnea, joint problems, heart problems, etc.

You have to have tried dieting conventional ways for at least six months and have either failed or gained the weight back. It is NOT easy, but it is very helpful. If you are throwing up all of the time, you are either not eating properly or your band is not properly adjusted. A band adjustment is done in the doctors office and takes a couple of minutes.

In most cases, your risk of dying from complications of being morbidly obese is higher than the risk from the lapband surgery. The lapband, gastric bypass and gastric sleeve work in different ways and each has its best applications. A weight loss surgeon is best qualified to advise you on what is best for you, but they will ask you what you prefer.

I know little about HCG, except that (a) my medical professionals warn against it and (b) Premarin is the drug that was widely used to treat menopausal women and it is made from pregnant mare urine. It had so many issues that, despite it popularity and effectiveness, it fell out of favor and caused many problems, so I doubt this is any better in the long run. Yo yo dieting can be very harmful!

Good luck and email me if you have any specific questions I can answer for you about the Lapband.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    well... I'm going to be a negative Nancy here. I've seen people do the HCG, and really didn't lose weight. They're consuming about 500 calories daily, and their body goes into starvation mode, so they're not keeping their metabolism going. Plus, I had a friend tell me that her tastebuds changed so much that the foods she was "allowed" to eat were making her sick, so she REALLY wasn't eating.

I'm a lapbander going on 2 years, and I've had nothing but issues with it. Earlier this year, I found out I have a leak in my band, and insurance will not cover any revisions, or removal. The only thing my surgeon wants me to do is to keep coming back on a monthly basis, pay $100 for each visit, and keep getting filled. Also, earlier this year, I had strep throat, and I started having more drainage. Well, when you have drainage, and when you try to eat, it forms into a big blob, and you can't pass it thru the lap band, causing you to get sick, causing you to not eat your proper nutrition. So, I've been on a plateau with the lap band.

Really.... in all honesty, ... using this site for 6 months has helped me lose more weight than the lap band has in 2 years. I wouldn't give this tool up for the world!

Thanks so much for posting this. Bumping it really as all the 'it'll be fantastic!' types seem to be entirely overlooking it.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    i don't know much about HCG, other than i know people who have tried it and lost nothing. I also know several who have gotten the lap band and lost very little weight and had a lot of issues. In my opinion, if you go to the trouble of a lap band then you might as well do it right and go with gastric bypass surgery, I did in 2008 and went from 410 lbs to my goal weight of 215 lbs and have maintained that weight. My only regret is that i didn't do it years ago. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Well, 40 years of medical research has demonstrated no significant effect in controlled trials comparing those who use and do not use hcg. I'm guessing that's all any of us really need to know. Which is why I'm surprised this question keeps resurfacing.

HCG simply does not work. It just doesn't. No matter how many anecdotes people put forward telling us it's brilliant, it just isn't. It does not, and cannot work. And really, don't get me started on the homeopathic version. Let's say it all together, people: PLACEBO!
  • Jeliica
    Options
    As for the lapband - good luck finding a surgeon who will ethically perform the procedure on you. . .looking at your photo it doesn't seem that you have much more weight to lose.

I feel that unless the procedure is for life-saving (ie. hundreds of pounds) purposes it should not be done... you are making a permanent change to the anatomy of your digestive system and this is not to be taken lightly because you will have to change your entire life forever.

In all actuality, any surgeon will perform the surgery on you, as long as you have the cash for it. Most insurance companies now want you to be a certain BMI before the procedure will even be considered. Even then, you have to show proof sometimes of you trying other non-surgical diets, like Weight Watchers, a doctor-written diet plan, etc.... and show that it wasn't effective.

A "moral" surgeon would set his own personal criteria and say what BMI is and isn't acceptable for surgery.

Actually surgeons do it for bmi of 35 and higher and I have medicaid insurance which covered everything in my surgery (and we know medicaid is pretty bad). Most insurance agencies are actually changing their policies to help people with weight issues to get the help they need.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am writing from personal experience. I can and have lost weight by eating properly and exercising but I have always put it all back on plus more. I got the lapband in April this year and have made the lifestyle changes necessary for the band to work as a tool to help me lose 90lb so far. The big difference is that I can only eat small portions at a time. Now that my band is adjusted and I have achieved what is known amongst bandsters as restriction, those smaller portions keep me satisfied for 3 to 4 hours. This means I am not eating as much or as often. This is permanent therefore my weight loss and healthier lifestyle are also permanent.

Yes, it is possible to eat around the band but that is the equivalent of lying to yourself when logging food and exercise on MFP. MFP is an excellent tool for those of us who need to manage our weight. The lapband is also a valuable tool when used properly and under the guidance of your medicalnteam. You may be surprised at how many banded people are also using MFP.

Regardless of the tool set that someone chooses to help in this journey, we all deserve support and success.
  • Jeliica
    Options
    Oh and you can't really listen to second hand opinion regarding lapband. Before I had mine done I spoke to a couple of people. I heard all these different stories. One lady had a lapband done and she only ate ice cream. She had some excuse that nothing could go down. I asked her why she didn't try yogurt, cottage cheese, water, ice pops, etc. She had no answer. One lady cheated her band and ate cookies constantly. This one guy said right after he was banded he ate 2 big macs.

I think some of you people seriously think lapband is an easy way out. It's hard. It's just a took to help with portion control. If your going to eat crap in any diet obviously you won't lose weight. I don't understand how you gain weight with a lapband if you are eating properly and exercising, that makes no sense. Obviously you are doing something wrong.

Furthermore, it's your decision. Anywhere you go you will hear positive and negative stories regarding both.

My friends boss did HCG, she lost a lot of weight. Some days she eats more than 500 other days she sticks to it. It's really all about self control.

Lapband, HCG, Gastric, regular dieting, weight watchers, jenny craig, WHATEVER. ANY DIET YOU HAVE TO WATCH WHAT YOU EAT AND EXERCISE.

That is really what it comes down too.

I have the lapband and I'm happy with it. I eat very healthy. It has helped me a lot. Especially because prior to it I had no self control. I tried dieting before and I was starving constantly. I lost the weight but I'd have no strength and was so hungry I'd go right back into those bad habits. With the lapband you have a bit more restriction, so those foods I ate and felt hungry afterwards, I don't anymore. I feel full and I only consumed a couple hundred calories. Plus I had it done last week wednesday and I already lost 18 pds. So it honestly depends on you as a person. Don't listen to second hand stories. You don't always know the real truth.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    A "moral" surgeon would set his own personal criteria and say what BMI is and isn't acceptable for surgery.

Actually surgeons do it for bmi of 35 and higher and I have medicaid insurance which covered everything in my surgery (and we know medicaid is pretty bad). Most insurance agencies are actually changing their policies to help people with weight issues to get the help they need.

I think the appropriate emphasis here is on the term *moral*. There's a distinction between what (some) doctors do, and what they *should* do....
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I have the lapband and I'm happy with it. I eat very healthy. It has helped me a lot. Especially because prior to it I had no self control. I tried dieting before and I was starving constantly. I lost the weight but I'd have no strength and was so hungry I'd go right back into those bad habits. With the lapband you have a bit more restriction, so those foods I ate and felt hungry afterwards, I don't anymore. I feel full and I only consumed a couple hundred calories. Plus I had it done last week wednesday and I already lost 18 pds. So it honestly depends on you as a person. Don't listen to second hand stories. You don't always know the real truth.

I don't mean this either disrespectfully or unkindly, and I'm really happy this is working for you. BUT this paragraph for me embodies the problem with bariatric surgery for most who have it. You are framing your life here as 'the lapband gave me control'. In other words, there's still an external locus of control. The *lapband* enables you, in this framing of the issue. As long as people see an external intervention as 'giving them' control over their eating, I'm afraid I don't think they have full control of their eating.

I truly hope that this isn't the case, that I'm wrong, and that you'll continue to lose weight. But for me, significant and sustainable weightloss was about learning that *I* was in control of my eating.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Well, I for one have lost over 50 lbs on HCG. I've had neighbors do lap band and are still struggling. One thing I will say about HCG, while you will likely lose weight (most lose 3/4 -1lb a day) it is very strict in the first 2 phases, phase 2 being the VLCD (500 calorie) phase and the foods are VERY limited. It can be very tough. That said, after the first week on phase 2 most cravings and hunger issues have subsided and you just get through it knowing it'll pay off in the end. Now, I've done 3 rounds of HCG. First one I lost 30lbs kept it off. 2nd lost 20, put back the whole 20lbs. 3rd lost that 20 again and have kept it off. I mention this because following the protocol after completion is VERY important. The thing about HCG is it can be a fast way to get the initial pounds off. The bad thing is most people treat it like a 'diet' and don't read the entire protocol to make the permanent life changes to keep the weight off permanently. This is the danger spot. Go back to your old ways after done you WILL gain back all the weight you lost and probably then some again. I've been off for 6 months and notice if I get too out of hand one stuff I'll put on some weight. But I follow the protocol immediatly (steak day) to address that and immediately return to my set point. This is a good start for HCG, find the Pounds and Inches guide online and read it. Lapband to me is WAY more extrme. Surgery in my mind is a last ditch effort. Try HCG first and if you don't lose there lapband or bypass may be the ticket for you. HCG is NOT a fraud if done by a real ND or other professional. HCG with holistic drops IS a fraud and should be avoided. I did HCG under ND care and it was tough, but VERY effective. It's not cheap but it does work and any speaking against it have likely not gone to a professional for the program. DMPIZZA has a point about more than 500 calories but has obviously not read the entire protocol to understand HOW and WHEN to add more calories and variety back in. I'm currently at 1600 calories a day and mostly stay within my 2lbs of goal weight. Any further questions about HCG I'll be happy to address, just PM me.

^^
    This above is also similar to what I was going to say. My NDoc told me to read the protocol, then read it again and again.

I did HCG injections with a NDoc who is also an MD and I would do it again. I lost 38 pounds between 2 rounds and have kept it off and helped to correct some other endocrine issues I was having. So now I am able to lose weight on my own again where I was having a problem before.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Ok look...I have been on and off of diets my whole life, I have a lot of self control issues and basically I have lost a lot of faith that I can do this on my own. I understand that eating right and exercising will get you to lose weight, OBVIOUSLY. I never said it didn't. I just feel like I need some help that my medical insurance will cover because I don't have money to hire a trainer or anything expensive. Not everyone has the same success by themselves. I hate how every time I post on the forums I feel attacked, all I wanted was some personal experiences from a neutral standpoint, thank you for the people that did give me that. But I don't like feeling yelled at, I wouldn't do that to anyone else. I'm not trying to find a shortcut or a crutch, just a helping hand. I would still put in all the work that your supposed to put in in achieving a healthier lifestyle.

I haven't read all of the posts on this yet, but forgive me if I am repeating something. I went to a bariatric surgery seminar last week. I have 160 lbs to lose. Please keep in mind that most insurance companies require you to be 100+ lbs overweight, AND be on a medically guided diet for at least 12 months. This means checking in with your doctor once a month and following a supervised diet such as weight watchers, medical weight loss, etc.

The only surgery I thought of getting was lapband. The surgeon that had the seminar has been doing bariatric surgery for 10 years, and was against lapband, saying that long term results haven't been proven past 10 years. He also mentioned the probability for leakage, band slippage, puncture, etc. The post-band diet is also an actual diet, not just a miracle procedure. You still have to watch your portions and fat intake. He also said that the average lapband patient loses only 30% of excess weight in 1-2 years. In my case, that is about 50 lbs. If I can't lose 50 lbs in two years on my own, then obviously I'm doing something wrong.

I went into the seminar thinking exactly the same way you are...I've failed at every diet, have no will power, have a problem with food, and I want something to lose weight easily. What I found out was that it isn't easy. It's a possibility you won't be able to eat foods that you might like (ice cream, hamburger, etc) because of the changes in your body related to the surgery. On a regular diet you can have those things in moderation. There were people in there that needed to lose maybe 50lbs tops, and we're constantly asking the doctor if they could have beer, cake, ice cream, champagne, chips, carbs, etc. He basically said no, you have to follow a strict diet like everyone else, only you could get violently ill.

Not trying to lecture you, but this was my experience. I also have a friend that had gastric bypass done and had 2 revisions and ended up having to get the lapband as well because they just couldn't fix it. Go to one of the seminars and I guarantee it will be an eye opener--it definitely was for me!
  • CrzyAte
    Options
    I have never commented on a MFP blog before but seeing your question and the responses I feel compelled to comment. First of all just ignore the people who can't seem to understand the part about speaking from experience on the two procedures. Every time I look up hcg it's the same thing from people who don't even know 2 things about it.
    Now my 2 cents... I was seriously considering lapband but I was a little scared it seems so drastic and quite frankly I chickened out. I heard about the HCG diet from my sister who has a friend that sells the homeopathic version. I started researching it and I liked what I saw from people who ACTUALLY use it. I started 1 round of the homeopathic version and I will tell you it is hard work. I was never physically hungry but I was mentally starving. I wanted doughnuts and hamburgers etc. I cheated a lot but in the end I lost 14 pounds in two weeks. I stopped doing it for about a week and maintained. I found that in that two week time frame I had really learned to cut my portions and eat healthier. The thought of a burger makes me sick and that says a lot, there are doughnuts right now at a cubicle by me and I don't even want one I have my apple :). I started back today to give it another try and I feel good about it this time.

Good Luck with what ever you decide to do and don't listen to the negativity. This is your journey!
  • CrzyAte
    Options
    By the way I do the 800 Calorie protocal so I can exercise as well. I do 30 min of cardio and a circuit weight lifting program set up at the gym. I am hoping this will help with the long term results and keep from getting to flabby... Again best of luck to you...:happy:
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend you read this book to better understand your body before you take on weight loss surgery

Why We Get Fat - And What To Do About It (sample at Amazon)
    By: Gary Taubes
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I have never commented on a MFP blog before but seeing your question and the responses I feel compelled to comment. First of all just ignore the people who can't seem to understand the part about speaking from experience on the two procedures. Every time I look up hcg it's the same thing from people who don't even know 2 things about it.
    Now my 2 cents... I was seriously considering lapband but I was a little scared it seems so drastic and quite frankly I chickened out. I heard about the HCG diet from my sister who has a friend that sells the homeopathic version. I started researching it and I liked what I saw from people who ACTUALLY use it. I started 1 round of the homeopathic version and I will tell you it is hard work. I was never physically hungry but I was mentally starving. I wanted doughnuts and hamburgers etc. I cheated a lot but in the end I lost 14 pounds in two weeks. I stopped doing it for about a week and maintained. I found that in that two week time frame I had really learned to cut my portions and eat healthier. The thought of a burger makes me sick and that says a lot, there are doughnuts right now at a cubicle by me and I don't even want one I have my apple :). I started back today to give it another try and I feel good about it this time.

Good Luck with what ever you decide to do and don't listen to the negativity. This is your journey!

Actually, I've read quite widely on the subject. Actual scholarly articles, not drug pushers' pimpery. As I said, four decades of scholarly research demonstrate no difference between hcg and placebo on clinical trials. Ditto, incidentally on homeopathy in general, so quite how a homeopathic version of snake oil is supposed to work is beyond me. Perhaps squaring quackery produces some kind of positive effect?

How about you? What 'research' did you do?
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Well, I've had 5 c-sections, and that's enough surgery for me. So the lap band is out. I've been doing HCG drops. I'm on my 4th round since January 10. I'm down 73 lbs so far. Do I get a little tired of the food during the 3 weeks of VLCD? Yes, but I can get through it. The loss really makes up for that. I'm glad I did it.
  • CrzyAte
    Options

Actually, I've read quite widely on the subject. Actual scholarly articles, not drug pushers' pimpery. As I said, four decades of scholarly research demonstrate no difference between hcg and placebo on clinical trials. Ditto, incidentally on homeopathy in general, so quite how a homeopathic version of snake oil is supposed to work is beyond me. Perhaps squaring quackery produces some kind of positive effect?

How about you? What 'research' did you do?

The research I do is on my own home scale. Can you tell me why my body fat ratio has decreased but my muscle mass has not? Can you tell me why my weight has come off proportionately in my problem areas not my breast or face where it normally starts. What is it that upsets you so much about this diet you have to mass post on every single thread? If I feel it is helping me in changing my life, well hey it's my life to change however I choose. I have never eaten so many fruits and vegetables in my life. I exercise daily, this is a lifestyle change. If someone ask for experince or feed back I will give it to them. Continue on your crusade to rid this world of hcg.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    When logic fails, go with the personal attack, eh, crains? As someone who actually *understands* research, I simply find smoke and mirrors and quackery of all kinds a little bit offensive. This is the third HCG thread I've posted on. Hardly 'mass posting', but good for you that you can deploy random hyperbole in the place of reason and logic. Excellent debating style. :-)

And I'm afraid your personal story is not, in fact, research. That's an anecdote. It hardly stacks up against 4 decades of actual research evidence under controlled conditions.

If you want to take your snake oil, cool. But to promote to others an unhealthy diet and a product that has no discernible impact is, I think, a tad immoral.
  • CrzyAte
    Options
    When logic fails, go with the personal attack, eh, crains? As someone who actually *understands* research, I simply find smoke and mirrors and quackery of all kinds a little bit offensive. This is the third HCG thread I've posted on. Hardly 'mass posting', but good for you that you can deploy random hyperbole in the place of reason and logic. Excellent debating style. :-)

And I'm afraid your personal story is not, in fact, research. That's an anecdote. It hardly stacks up against 4 decades of actual research evidence under controlled conditions.

If you want to take your snake oil, cool. But to promote to others an unhealthy diet and a product that has no discernible impact is, I think, a tad immoral.

Please spare me.... I'm not really sure what part of the comment you found to be a "personal attack" but that is not really my concern. I have read many good and bad things on the subject and I choose to form an opinion based on my own experience not on what someone tells me I should believe. But thank you for avoiding the questions that prove it works in a way that is different from strictly a 500 cal diet w/o hcg.

As far as promoting this being immoral all the facts are out there for people to see. I think others are capable of making informed decision. I choose to comment on personal experience only.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Bless you. Seriously.

I didn't 'avoid the question'. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it entirely lacks anything that resembles either control or generalisability. Your story's nice for you, but it doesn't stack up against 4 decades of scientific research. Which bit of that is *not* answering your question?

Out of interest, how long have you been engaged with this 'lifestyle change'? I presume from your strong claim to expert knowledge based on your case study of, erm, one that you've at very least been in maintenance for a few years?
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Oh, and here's why your 'research' on your home scale might not be worth a whole lot:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/344984-how-accurate-are-the-scales-that-give-you-body-fat-percentag