Anyone given up soda?

Options
I am the Soda Queen and if I don't watch myself I will drink nothing but soda all day. I love it it and I know it's a big problem for me and I'm really thinking about giving it up. I want to know from you that have how hard it was for you and how successful you have been with keeping the cravings at bay? I appreciate any input.

Replies

• Saksgirl1
    Options
    I tried and I was successful for a while... BUT then school started back up and well... let's just say, I revisited my diet coke addiction!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    May if you knew that recent studies have linked it to bone loss you could give it up easier.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I have, do it and you'll be amazed how well you feel. It's going on 10 weeks and I'm shocked I tried once about 2 weeks ago and it tasted disgusting. I was drinking a 12 pack a day.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I love a diet coke now and then. Not every day though, could you just cut down and have 2-3 cans a week? Don't keep it in the house. I used to drink it every day, but I find I feel healthier without it! Good luck!
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I used to have 5-6 cans a DAY. I don't even want to think about those cals now!

Now I have maybe a can a month.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton, I mean a ton of diet soda.
    I give myself three excuses;
    -I take medicines which make me very thirsty
    -I need to keep myself hydrated to avoid kidney stones
    -Its better than a sugary snack.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I was addicted to Pepsi and now I don't even want a small glass. I drink tea, coffee, chocolate/white milk and a few times a month an energy drink and WATER. At restaurants I get water and chocolate milk.

I was addicted to Pepsi, the burn and the taste and now its very unappealing. seriously.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I quit soda and redbull cold turkey.

I drink about 100 oz of water a day now.

I feel fantastic and never crave it anymore.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Gave it up 6 years ago and don't miss it. I didn't drink ANY for 4 years. Now I will have the rare diet soda, once a month or less. Usually Pepsi Max. I drink water with all my meals. Sometimes when I want some extra flavor I add a couple drops of flavored liquid stevia.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've been free of diet coke for about a year and a half now. I easily drank 2 liters a day + a free soda fountain at work. Yes, it was absolutely worth it. No, it wasnt that hard. The first day off the juice was trouble, I was cranky, hand a montser headache and did pretty much nothing bit sit in my easy chair and wait. The second day wasn't so bad and on the third day I promised myself a guilt free DC if I made it until the sixth day. By the sixth day, it was much easier to say no and now the idea of it makes my lips curl a little.

Honestly, I think when I realized I literally spent a full day of my life going through 'detox' I knew I didnt need it anymore.

Good luck if you try, I hope it works for you!
  • bookworm03
    bookworm03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I gave it up a few months ago. Then my parents came to visit and it is all my mom drinks, so I drank it while she was here. I gave it up again this week. I just tell myself I can't have it just like everything else. So far so good.
  • jbrugg123
    Options
    I was drinking 3 or 4-20oz bottles of Diet Pepsi every day for a while. I slowly started to replace the Pepsi with ice water and have now cut out all soda. I did have headaches for a short while (I assume they were from caffeine withdrawl) but I feel much better without all that artificial sweetener in my diet.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I've given it up, but It was never a habit. I used to get a Mt Dew once or twice a weak at work, but now that I am drinking and tracking water getting a pop has never even been a crossing thought.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yep! Haven't had anything to drink but water, coffee and tea for months!

I don't know how it happens but after a while I got used to water and don't really think about soda anymore. I LOVED Pepsi, Root Beer, Code Red, Dr. Pepper.... but oddly, I'm just fine without them.

Good luck! Just "fake it till you make it" I guess. :)
  • LakerFan03
    LakerFan03 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've given up soda and it makes a difference because your cutting out sugar, and plus it just empty calories .
  • BigRandy
    Options
    I gave up carbinated drinks over a year ago. I only drink bottled water. It was hard in the begaining being that I work for coca~cola, but I had a sip of my son's sprite about three months ago and it burned like fire going down. Only water fo me from now on. Now if I can just give up mcDonalds...lol
  • kerrylou150
    Options
    cold turkey at the start of the year.

i don't miss it at all.

the first month or two i used a lot (i mean A LOT) of crystal light drop ins but by march i only was having one a day and now nothing special... just plain water or maybe an afternoon green tea

i drink lemon water or ice tea w lemon (no sugar) when i go out to eat

at home for a special treat i have 4 oz of seltzer water and 4 oz of trop 50 juice. (only 25 calories)

kicking the soda habit makes you feel like you can do anything!
  • tinastanley
    tinastanley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Dr Pepper. Drank 4 to 6 cans a day. I haven't any type of soda since first of July 2011. I tried to drink a dr pepper a couple of weeks ago and i couldn't stand the taste of it. Now I just drink water, gatorade and milk once in a while. i don't miss it a bit and I am glad I quit. I did get a caffeine withdrawl for a couple of weeks when I first stopped ddrinking it but that was it.
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't have something sitting in the fridge or pantry then it is easier not to have. I use to love Coca Cola typical as it is the worst fizzy for you. As for the craving I tend to only feel them when I go shopping and see the fizzy on special. But over the time that I have started this journey I have been trying to change my thinking. Instead of thinking Coca cola is a treat as I know it is not, I go to the water isle and pick one of the nice waters there and that has become my treat. I think that is the key we need to retrain our brains. Instead of the chocolate bars that I use to love as a 'treat' I now find the yummiest piece of fruit. Go luck on your journey:smile: