Does you find it "hard" to eat your daily calories?

Mixmode
Mixmode Posts: 332
edited October 2 in Food and Nutrition
I know I do! Especially when I do alot of exercise. I find myself well under my goal to the point sometimes I fear I am doing some damage. The thing is I eat. ALOT. Like every 3-4 hrs from wake up to near bedtime. But I eat healthy. Guess I'll drink more shakes and add milk rather than Diet V8 and eat more whole wheat PB & SFJ's. Haha

Just curious what others do to get their daily minimum nutrition in when they are low!

Replies

• Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    OMG I posted "Does" instead of "Do" HAHAHA

G-H-E-T-T-O !!!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    If you struggle with getting enough calories, stop eating "diet food" and go back to full-fat versions.

Nuts are also an easy way to up your calories without eating much.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    I don't try to eat back all my exercise calories, I try to stick around 1200 but it usually comes out in the wash if you track your weekly calories it's a little easier :)
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    If I'm low at the end of the day but I've had generally good nutrition throughout the day, I'll have a treat -- my go-to is the low-fat "churned" ice cream that is like 200 cal. for almost a whole cup.

If I'm low because I've been on the go and didn't plan well and have been trying to snack smart to get through the day, I'll try to get a more nutritious burst at the end of the day, like a bowl of Grape Nuts and some fruit or vegetables, or a small salad, or (if I have enough of a deficit) a turkey/cheese/veggie sandwich.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    I fight everyday to get mine in... literally fight all day long for it.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Can't say I've ever had a problem at being under! :)

That said, I just checked my calories to see if I could have a slice of chocolate cake at work (been a hell of a day) and I definitely had enough, especially as I've got a yoga session planned for later.
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member

G-H-E-T-T-O !!!

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    honestly it baffles me that people on a diet struggle to get their cals in, usually the problem is over eating, not under eating.
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    I'm the same way, I eat (snack) every 2-3 hrs. Even if my breakfast is balanced. Usually the less you eat the more you want lol So i tend to pack up on lots of protein though out the day. Try yo get my carbs in early, like breakfast. started packing healthy snacks, Like a protein bar (eat half now, half later.. try to make it last lol) celery sticks w PB, apple, banana, nuts, whatever it takes to keep me from consuming too much cals LOL! My meals aren't very big though, that's probably why haha
  • I find myself falling short at times too. It's not because I'm starving myself either. I will eat a smoothie for breakfast and and then have toast with peanut butter. I'll eat a super stacked homemade healthy sandwich. I have lots of veggies for dinner. I eat fruit for snacks. But since I've been keeping track I notice I can fall short of the mark. It doesn't happen every day and I'm still healthy and I exercise so I'm not going to worry about it too much. Thanks for the post though. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Of course this weekend I am going to Chicago to see my sister and I'm sure a few drinks will *bomb* my calorie allotment. Oh well. Gotta live a little right? !
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    definitely hard for me to consume my daily goal (especially) after working out.. will have to eat more nuts to get in sufficient fat, calories & protein
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Honestly, I have no problem getting in my calories. There was only one day that I couldn't do it and it was because we were doing some major home renovation for several hours and I burned in the 1000's of calories for the day.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member

G-H-E-T-T-O !!!

hahaha Well, at least you caught yourself!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    honestly it baffles me that people on a diet struggle to get their cals in, usually the problem is over eating, not under eating.

I think the fixation some have on 'low cal' foods is part of the problem. That, and too few meal times/binges.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    my daily calories allowance is 1320 and i mostly struggle to stay within the limit, especially on the days i dont go to the gym seeing i eat my exercise calories
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    I eat a paleo diet and I honestly find it hard to meet my 1500 cal/day target on my non workout days. I eat only whole foods and try to keep my carbs as low as possible. So all of my calories are coming from Fat, Protein, and Fiber. These are SO filling that I really don't even want to eat much more than 1300 or so. I have to switch to fattier cuts of meat I guess.....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I don't usually have a problem on a rest day, but on a high exercise day yes I do. There's about 4 hours before, during and after my workout that I eat relatively little while burning a lot, and that makes it hard to hit my goal, at least to hit it with healthy foods.

Give me a plate of chicken wings and I hit my goal no problem!
  • jacksonpt
    I eat a paleo diet and I honestly find it hard to meet my 1500 cal/day target on my non workout days. I eat only whole foods and try to keep my carbs as low as possible. So all of my calories are coming from Fat, Protein, and Fiber. These are SO filling that I really don't even want to eat much more than 1300 or so. I have to switch to fattier cuts of meat I guess.....

That's funny... I don't find meats to be nearly as filling as fiber dense starches, especially when I am drinking like I should be.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I don't. I lost most of my weight before joining this site or counting calories. I just ate healthy food when I was hungry. When I started logging I didn't change anything but I was eating about what this site said I should be. I guess my body knows what it needs. I didn't eat low calorie or low fat or low carb or high anything. The only things I limit are sodium, sugar (including refined grains) and saturated fat.
  • jacksonpt
    I didn't eat low calorie or low fat or low carb or high anything.
    But in some ways you did. By eating healthy, you are eating low cal (relatively speaking). If you fill your stomach with fruits and veggies, you are going to consume much fewer calories than if you fill it with pizza and peanut butter cups.

You instinctively figured out (or maybe you just have the increasingly rare "common sense") the secret to being healthy... eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full, and eat good, healthy foods.
This discussion has been closed.