Does you find it "hard" to eat your daily calories?

Replies

• Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Well the thing for ME is that I have an eating disorder. If there is junk food in the house I WILL EAT IT and most times, TILL ITS GONE. It's very rare that I can resist. I beat myself up last night for eating a 180 cal pack of nabs at 10pm. WTF. I still have about 30 lbs to lose so weight loss is def still a factor on top of weight training.
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    I do this almost every day. I'm confused on the whole factor. I'm eating healthy and about 5-6 times a day. I'm not hungry and I am already making myself eat at least 2 of the 5 times a day. I figured if my body thought it was starving it would tell me, and sometimes it does. I've worried about whether or not I'm doing damage but I'm losing the weight steadily. I guess the main questions is, DO YOU HAVE TO REACH YOUR GOAL?
  • angeleyes9770
    angeleyes9770 Posts: 7 Member
    My problem is, I dont have much motivation for working out so I find it harder to stay with in my calorie limit. :ohwell:
    But today I am going to walk the dog she is getting a little chubby too LOL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I didn't eat low calorie or low fat or low carb or high anything.
    But in some ways you did. By eating healthy, you are eating low cal (relatively speaking). If you fill your stomach with fruits and veggies, you are going to consume much fewer calories than if you fill it with pizza and peanut butter cups.

You instinctively figured out (or maybe you just have the increasingly rare "common sense") the secret to being healthy... eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full, and eat good, healthy foods.

Yes, you are correct of course. What I meant is I don't really think about calories, I just think about what's healthy. I do make an effort to eat a variety of healthy foods to make sure I get a good mix of nutrients.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    I do this almost every day. I'm confused on the whole factor. I'm eating healthy and about 5-6 times a day. I'm not hungry and I am already making myself eat at least 2 of the 5 times a day. I figured if my body thought it was starving it would tell me, and sometimes it does. I've worried about whether or not I'm doing damage but I'm losing the weight steadily. I guess the main questions is, DO YOU HAVE TO REACH YOUR GOAL?

Why are you eating 6 meals a day?

Is this because of the whole "it boosts your metabolism" myth?
  • Mixmode
    I know that wasn't a quote to me but I eat 5-6 times cuz it helps cut down cravings and binges. I feel more satisfied throughout the day.
  • jmeeej
    That's what I love about super low-carb.

Zero cravings
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    God no. The opposite. As I just said on another thread, I feel like I have been hungry for the last 8 months. I burn pathetically low calories exercising (between 500-600 for an hour of running, 320 for an hour of circuit training or aerobics, 125 for the 30DS), and my maintenance calories are far lower than I feel is sane (1500 ish), and I don't ever feel satisfied. I often feel physically bloated, but I haven't ever got rid of the feeling of emptiness.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    honestly it baffles me that people on a diet struggle to get their cals in, usually the problem is over eating, not under eating.

Yup, me too. It's like a bizarre way of boasting for some, I think.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    LOL, NO!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    I was eating 1200 calories a day once I was diagnosed with diabetes, all low fat, no sugar and was always struggling to eat my calories as you can only eat so many cups of greens; then I got in to see the nutritionist. The first thing she had me do was stop all the low fat foods as they swap out fat for sugars and salt. The second thing she did was tell me to eat at minimum 1550 calories a day, swap out anything white for whole grains and eat more protein/fat and get my carbs from veggies and whole grains. I eat no processed foods at all, enjoy a glass of wine with dinner a few times a month and eat 3 small squares of 72% dark chocolate a week; I simply plan them with my calories. She advised protein shakes on my workout days. I've followed her advice and have lost 30 pounds and come off of 1 prescription for the diabetes in the last 3 months. My goal by the time I go back to the doctor is to have him take me off all my meds because I will no longer be classified as diabetic!
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    No, I can't say I have that problem and I can't relate to those threads on here at all. I wouldn't be here if I found it hard to eat 1200 calories. LOL.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    I sometimes wonder if people are overestimating their exercising calories on here and that is where the problem lies for some. Also, if you aren't actually weighing your food, it is very easy to underestimate calories eaten. Portion sizes are usually a lot smaller than what I consume and I have to double a lot of the stuff in the data base.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    I know I do! Especially when I do alot of exercise. I find myself well under my goal to the point sometimes I fear I am doing some damage. The thing is I eat. ALOT. Like every 3-4 hrs from wake up to near bedtime. But I eat healthy. Guess I'll drink more shakes and add milk rather than Diet V8 and eat more whole wheat PB & SFJ's. Haha

Just curious what others do to get their daily minimum nutrition in when they are low!
    I'm in the same situation. After months of losing weight, it's a huge mindset change to actually hit my calorie number. Much worse when I run (26 to 30 miles per week while training for a marathon). I'm almost always under my calorie count and I'm always under my carb count.

Yes, I eat potatoes and bread and fruit and rice (almost every day) and other low GI, complex carbs but it "ain't easy". It was actually easier to design a low calorie diet (800-1000 net cals/day) and eat it than it is to hit my calorie target now that I'm a runner.
  • Mixmode
    No, I can't say I have that problem and I can't relate to those threads on here at all. I wouldn't be here if I found it hard to eat 1200 calories. LOL.

Well I wouldnt have this problem either or even be here if I ate a d@mn bacon dbl cheeseburger combo everyday like I want to! Hahaha

I am like a vampire on unhealthy food. Once I get that taste, it's never satisfied so I would just rather not eat it AT ALL. So all I can do is eat healthy stuff. Out of sight, out of mind! lol
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member

Why are you eating 6 meals a day?

Is this because of the whole "it boosts your metabolism" myth?

Some people do it because eating every few hours keeps their blood sugar level, so they a) don't want to binge and/or b) they simply feel better eating more often.

And how do YOU know it doesn't keep their metabolism up when they do it? Because some scientist said it isn't true? We are all different and our bodies respond differently to things. So, saying it is a "myth" and isn't true is a disservice to people who have high metabolisms and eat often.
  • jmeeej
    I'm not even going to get into this argument.

You can find studies to prove anything you want. Do whatever makes you happy and whatever works for you
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I sometimes wonder if people are overestimating their exercising calories on here and that is where the problem lies for some. Also, if you aren't actually weighing your food, it is very easy to underestimate calories eaten. Portion sizes are usually a lot smaller than what I consume and I have to double a lot of the stuff in the data base.

That is a VERY good point. The average person dramatically OVER estimates the amount of exercise they do and UNDER estimates how much they eat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I am like a vampire on unhealthy food. Once I get that taste, it's never satisfied so I would just rather not eat it AT ALL. So all I can do is eat healthy stuff. Out of sight, out of mind! lol
    I'm similar. If it's in the house I'll eat it. I feel bad for my kids because I'd like to pack them a more interesting lunch, but oreos and rice crispy treats and whatever else NEVER make it through the night.
  • Mixmode
    I'm not even going to get into this argument.

You can find studies to prove anything you want. Do whatever makes you happy and whatever works for you

Exactly.

I once read a book, Body For Life, that said to eat 5-6 small meals a day to resist "beginning the starvation mode process" and I did and it worked well. Was it that one factor in the diet that did the most good (outside of what your eating)? I doubt it. But since I have read othewise about the "myth". But in the end, I am truly happier eating smaller, more frequent meals. If I wasnt, I would just eat 3 squares and follow the "calories in, calories out" belief. But in the end I do what I feel my body wants without staying with any one "method".
This discussion has been closed.