DONT EAT AFTER 8PM!

Options
124»

Replies

• Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    haha, i workout late and dont even cook until 8. Guess im screwed?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    From all the comments it seems like this is an epidemiological study, ie. one that surveys a population and tries to come up with conclusions based on that. The problem with these is all they can do is show correlation, nothing more. I remember when I was in university taking a philosophy of logic course. The prof pointed out that an epidemiological study showed that something like 95% of the people who develop lung cancer drink coffee (number is not accurate but is it high like that). He then asked us what that meant. Sure enough someone guessed that it meant coffee cause lung cancer. That lead to a wonderful lecture about the difference between causality and correlation. This did not show causality, just correlation because what was happening is that most smokers also drink coffee. That is all that is shown by that study.

While these sort of studies have their place, they are very weak for making conclusions like, "eating after 8PM will make you fat." Interestingly this is not seen in populations in many European countries where late night eating is a normal thing. Add to that the fact that clinical studies, ie ones where you take a group of volunteers and feed them a certain way and see what happens, don't usually show the same thing. For that matter unless this study controlled for eating more calories than one needs in a day, it is essentially useless because if you stop eating at 8PM but still eat more calories than your body burns you will gain weight too.

Here is an interesting article that brings some of these studies together in a very informative manner. http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Here is an interesting article that brings some of these studies together in a very informative manner. http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html

Was just about to post this :smile:

And re the original article, I am glad I am not a mouse!

FWIW, I am trying to gain weight, eat about 60-75% of my calories for the day after 7pm (bed by 10ish) and I'm still having trouble putting on weight. So calories in vs out trumps.

Remember:
    The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    i'll have to read the study, but some arbitrary cutoff time where eating somehow becomes bad is ridiculous

Totally agree...

Damn it, it's 8:01pm... I guess I'll just let my stomach growl for the next three hours. :grumble:

Sure, the study makes sense, but it doesn't take into consideration a lot of factors. Psychology studies are very difficult to execute and even harder to prove. IMO many people who eat late at night eat because they are bored, not because they are hungry... obviously people with eating habits like that are going to be heavier. What about shift workers who work strange hours? I often eat after 8pm because by the time I get home from work, go to the gym and make dinner, it's later. But I'm HUNGRY so why wouldn't I eat?
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think I don't wake up until 5pm. So if I stopped eating at 8, I guess I would be thinner! Because I'd be starving!
  • alkion
    Options
    Remember:
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

Chris, let me make sure i understand what you're saying. "hitting your macro goals are most important" i.e. feed your body with what it needs don't be eating crap?

....... oh i see looks like a double post.. that's not right, I am ready to fight you, when i win you'll bake me a low carb cheese cake.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You know... the lovely Kelly Osborne who dropped tons of weight and now looks AMAZING said one of her secrets was to eat a small snack right before bed to boost her metabolism.

Every is different.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Remember:

Chris, let me make sure i understand what you're saying. "hitting your macro goals are most important" i.e. feed your body with what it needs don't be eating crap?

....... oh i see looks like a double post.. that's not right, I am ready to fight you, when i win you'll bake me a low carb cheese cake.

LOL

Saying that because of the amount of time the body takes to digest food that it is more important to meet the macronutrient goals (whatever they be for your target loss, maintenance or gain) than to worry about if you should eat your last meal at 7:59 or 8:01pm :smile:
  • arispawild
    Options
    I eat most of my food after 8. Guess what. I'm not having issues. Actually. I'm trying to maintain and I'm loosing. So, no. This is not accurate.
  • Grannyx5
    Options
    I don't know about the "science" of eating later than 8pm...or few hours before your bedtime......but I do know, I feel much better in the morning if I have not eaten anything heavy after 7pm or so. I also feel better if I have my heaviest meal earlier in the afternoon and light dinner.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    The only thing I know some people have with eating close to bed is heart burn or similar things, but it has no effect on whether you lose weight or not.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I sometimes work the graveyard shift and then sleep when I get home from work in the day. I have to eat some time. And After 8PM is a must at times.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    ha ha ha. I salute the author of that article, with my coconut milk ice cream sandwich.

The only reason I might not eat after 8 pm is if I planned poorly and ran out calories.

blessings.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It's 10:20.... and I'm eating! Your not the boss of me!! Lol!!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    It's definitely true that snacking after 8pm will kill your sleep cycle, your body needs to relax for sleeping and eating will gve more energy and that is why some people have trouble sleeping at night. Think about it, we eat during the day to stay energized why do we need to eat before bed when we're just going to sleep?

Im the opposite, I can't sleep if I'm hungry.

So while it may be true for you, you can't say its a true fact as everyone is different.

Yeah, I hate to go to bed on an empty stomach, I sleep much better if I eat before I go to bed. haha
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Arg. This is a frustrating read.

There is not enough information in the article to make any comments.

If this was a scientific study, you can be pretty sure that the scientists understand that causation does not equal correlation. These people are quite well versed in biostatistics, and they understand how to control for variable and how to detect which variable are statistically significant and which are not. There are software packages that make it pretty easy to do this.

It should be pretty obvious to a scientist that if a fat person consumes more calories than a thin person it probably doesn't matter what time of day they eat those calories. So if you are eating more icecream after 8pm in addition to all the crap you eat all day long, it doesn't take a scientist to know that obviously you will be gaining weight.

It seems its hip to be anti-science these days, but scientists really do understand about things like correlation, causation, and statistical relevance.

The key point is they "should" know the difference, yet in spite of the fact this (and many others) is an epidemiological study, ie. a study that by its very nature cannot show causality, I see scientists, yes scientists who should and likely do know better, making conclusions about causality at least in the information bites that a quoted extensively by the MSM and many people. At best this study could be said to say that we need to do clinical studies with appropriate controls to see if there is any causal effect of eating late because that is all they can conclude. Yet, the number of times I see conclusions made that this epidemiological study means x causes y makes me think either their are a lot of scientists who don't know this, that they do this to keep getting funding, or more likely, they are very bad at press releases and public comments and are saying things in a way that is either misunderstood or incorrect because of it. Either way, as much as I respect scientists, some of my best friends are scientists, one has to realize they have their weaknesses.