Anyone out there lost weight WITHOUT a Polar HRM?

Options
I wanna know if there's people out there in MFP land who have lost like 35 pounds WITHOUT USING A POLAR HEART RATE MONITOR? It seems like everybody uses them but I'm thinking maybe it's just a fad. Don't get me wrong, I WANT one.....but do I really NEED one? Can't I just tell how hard I'm working out by how sweaty and tired I am? So, if you lost and have been losing weight without one, let me know.

Replies

• SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I've lost every one of my 48 pounds with out any type of HRM. I thought about buying one, but didn't want to spend the moolah.
  • smithskiman06
    smithskiman06 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED one. I exercised for a long time without it and just estimated my calories burned based off the calcs you find on MFP and google.

The thing is though if you track every piece of food that goes in to your mouth and our accurate with that why not be accurate with exercise calories?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs with out one....but now that I have one I wish I would of gotten it sooner lol I love being able to see exactly where I'm at and where I can push harder!
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I've considered getting one, but haven't given in yet...

Therefore, I have lost a total of 63 pounds to date, WITHOUT a HRM!! ;)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I wanna know if there's people out there in MFP land who have lost like 35 pounds WITHOUT USING A POLAR HEART RATE MONITOR? It seems like everybody uses them but I'm thinking maybe it's just a fad. Don't get me wrong, I WANT one.....but do I really NEED one? Can't I just tell how hard I'm working out by how sweaty and tired I am? So, if you lost and have been losing weight without one, let me know.

I lost about 50 before I got my HRM. I went by the machines (which seem to be only slightly off from my HRM) and just paid attention to what I ate, etc.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You certainly can lose...there's no doubt about it. Gauging by how tired and sweaty you are won't be really accurate what-so-ever, so you need to keep that in mind and don't trust your exercise calories so much. Having the HRM gives you a little more comfort level in knowing the exercise calories are counted fairly accurately. I still allow a small buffer on exercise calories to account for any inaccuracies, about 50-100 calories I leave un-eaten back.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have lost 80 somthing pounds without one also, but as I am now on a plateau (for almost 2 months) I am really thinking about buying one.
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've had one for about 9 months and had lost all of my weight without it! I actually haven't lost much since I got it!! :laugh:
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm down 42lbs without one, so I would say no, you don't have to have one.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Lol! Call me silly, but I don't even know what one is :D
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've lost exactly 35lbs previously without one... I plant to lose even more with out one this time too... they are accurate but if I'm not eating back my exercise calories, I feel like there's no point to me getting one.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Lol! Call me silly, but I don't even know what one is :D

Silly. :smokin:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I bought one AFTER I lost the first 45 lbs or so. I mainly wanted to track calories on my walks. I did not get the 'in' HRM. It is just a little watch one, works fine for what I need.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I used my HRM for one month....never bothered after that. Lost the weight with or without it. Didnt really matter.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, and don't plan on getting one, it's just one more thing to obsess over. Saying that, I rarely eat back my exercise cals anyway.
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    For those of you who have one, which one is best? Do you have to buy the most expensive?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs with out one....but now that I have one I wish I would of gotten it sooner lol I love being able to see exactly where I'm at and where I can push harder!
    ^^ this!

I think most would consider an HRM as a tool to help with accuracy and can't imagine anyone thinking of it as a fad, not sure I understand that comment. A fad is something that comes and goes...... HRM's are Forever!!:love::wink: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Absolutely you can lose with without buying one:drinker: but as Alypri shared once you get one you realize how much more understanding you have of your situation, your goals and the balance it takes to reach them. It does help with accuracy especially if you're a numbers person, which I am.

Good luck with your Goals Hon:flowerforyou:
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ive lost over 24lbs without one. I've found the estimates on here are pretty good. YOur body will tell you what kind of workout you've had.. Good luck!
  • bookworm03
    bookworm03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't have one. I just can't afford it. I set my calorie goals higher , record my workouts as 1 calorie, just so my activity is recorded and don't worry about eating back anything.
  • DiggNationFan
    DiggNationFan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't know what one is, so yep another person here!