Anyone out there lost weight WITHOUT a Polar HRM?

Options

Replies

• mamasyd
    mamasyd Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 212 pounds and do not have one. It is possible!! 8-)
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    A few years ago when I lost weight, I initially lost weight without one, but after I got one, I was able to intensify my workouts. I realized I had been wussing out a lot, and knowing my target heart rate helps me push myself better.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have one, which one is best? Do you have to buy the most expensive?

The best one is the one with the features you most want, but as far as best for accuracy, you'll want one that has a chest strap, otherwise you might as well just guess on your own. I personally got the Polar FT7. Many people enjoy the FT4 for a cheaper model.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Yep.. me!
    I have been considering one, but horse riding is my 'thing' and to be honest I need a new riding hat and a rug for my horse (to keep him dry so I can ride whenever I turn up). So... that is my priority for now.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have one, which one is best? Do you have to buy the most expensive?
    Polars are quite popular, which ever brand/model you choose in the end be sure you purchase one that has a chest strap along with the watch so it's accurate.

Polar FT7 is popular among the group, Polar F4 is also owned by many here... others have their favorite brands as well. Investment is worth it at times... cheap is not always the way to go but NO you absolutely do NOT have to buy the most expensive one on the market to get the benefits from an HRM.

:flowerforyou:
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't have one and I've lost 47 LBS !! :)
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've just started using a cheap watch style one and find it measures my exercise calories really well. I've lost 39kg (90lb) with another 10kg to my first goal, and then probably another 15 to 20kg after that. Hopefully the HRM will help me keep going successfully as I get closer to goals.
  • willswife10
    Options
    I recently bought the polar ft4 and have only used it a few times. It seems to work really well. The only thing I dont like is that it doesnt tell me how far i've been.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the polar ft4 and have only used it a few times. It seems to work really well. The only thing I dont like is that it doesnt tell me how far i've been.

That's because it's a heart rate monitor, not a pedometer. Heart rate has nothing to do with how far you've been, so how would it possibly know that information?
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've lost every one of my 48 pounds with out any type of HRM. I thought about buying one, but didn't want to spend the moolah.

same here, lost 43 lbs so far, no HRM....
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30 without one. I use MFP (i reset my ticker because my scale was being a b!tch)
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    Options
    Does it just tell you your heart rate? Because I wouldn't know where to begin to count that with calories burned, or is it like the body bugg (which is what I'm saving for) that tells you how many calories you've burned.
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    don't own one...I think the ticker says it all
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75lbs without ANY HRM. I do think that I need one now because I'm getting MUCH closer to my healthy goals and think that the MFP estimator may come to harm me. I eat back about half the exercise calories back now because I want to be sure I don't over eat.
  • butterflimom
    Options
    I'm with the majority...I have lost over 50 pounds in the last year without one, so there are not necessary. I have also thought about getting one, but I know the days that I have pushed myself and the days I haven't. I try and not eat back my exercise calories either, but if I do it's because I was way under the days prior.
    In the end, it's up to you. I personally don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks on one and I would rather spend a couple of hundred on a goal reward for all of my hard work instead.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I haven't. I do an hour or two of reasonably strenuous exercise every day, and I estimate using mfp. I don't eat all my calories - I do eat into them, by a few hundred, but not all. This means for now accuracy doesn't matter too much and I don't feel I need an HRM. I will re-evaluate this when I get a little closer to goal.
  • slbeutler
    Options
    Most of your weight loss is a result of your diet, so you really don't need one. Just keep your diet on track, keep exercising and the weight should come off.

Exercise is really only about a 20% factor in weight loss and diet is about 80% or something like that. Not that exercise isn't important, you can be skinny fat, but in short you don't need a HRM.
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    121 pounds down without one
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I lost 55-pounds without one. It can be done. :wink:
  • dannylives
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!