I QUIT!!!!!!!

Options
Smoking.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fooled ya!

Ok, seriously now, I did. As of today. It's my birthday present to myself. Clean lungs.

Anyway, I've been holding it back because I wasn't entirely sure I could do it, but you know what, I can and I will and I've made it half a day so far and I'll just keep taking one step at a time!!!!

Have a great day everyone! :drinker:

Replies

• Vanessa414
    Options
    Smoking.

Fooled ya!

Ok, seriously now, I did. As of today. It's my birthday present to myself. Clean lungs.

Anyway, I've been holding it back because I wasn't entirely sure I could do it, but you know what, I can and I will and I've made it half a day so far and I'll just keep taking one step at a time!!!!

• Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    Congrats, and keep it up. I'm trying to quit myself, maybe I'll do the samething on my birthday
    which is on Monday.
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    Congrats, and keep it up. I'm trying to quit myself, maybe I'll do the samething on my birthday
    which is on Monday.

That'd be great! I'm actually taking Chantix, which is making it a ton easier. I love it. My mom quit a year ago with it and hasn't had one since and she smoked for like 30 years.

Good luck! If you do, let me know! Maybe we can support each other! :flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That's a wonderful thing for Owen, as well. Healthier for him & a mommy that has a better chance at living a long life. :flowerforyou:
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    Options
    LOL. That is great. I've never smoked since the first time I tried it I puked my guts out.( i was about 13) My sister is trying to quit right now. I fuss at her all the time and I have two sister in laws that are sickly and they just won't stop smoking. I'm really worried about one of them. She is not doing good at all and won't go to the DR. She is only 50 years old. Still so young. I hope you make this change last forever.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    which is on Monday.

That'd be great! I'm actually taking Chantix, which is making it a ton easier. I love it. My mom quit a year ago with it and hasn't had one since and she smoked for like 30 years.

Good luck! If you do, let me know! Maybe we can support each other! :flowerforyou:

Congratulations on quitting smoking!
    I quit myself like about 8 years ago. I used the drug Zyban though, which must be alot like your Chantix.
    I love not waking up coughing my head off like I used to! I also love not having to huddle outside in the bad weather for "butt breaks"! :laugh:
    Add to that the fact that I'll probably live longer and save money, and it's a definite "win, win" situation! :laugh:
    Congrats again, stick with it now! :smile:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    That is terrific! I am so proud of you for taking that first step. Think of how healthy you are getting. Congratulations and again Happy Birthday! :smile:
  • AgainstKace
    Options
    Good luck!
    I decided on Sunday to quit. I'm only 22 and have been smoking a pack a day for 7 years... Yuck.
    Normally by now, I'd have smoked 60 cigarettes but I've only had 3 since Sunday!

I wanted to take Chantix, too but then I heard about all the side effects and stuff and got scared. Haha.
    Again, good luck!
  • jsmccloy
    jsmccloy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good for you (and it'll be good for Owen, too . . .what a cutie!).
    I'm on day 3 without cigs now. I consider myself a "professional quitter" having tried patches, gum, cold turkey, hypnosis, chantix, aversion therapy, rubber bands (don't ask), and just about every other method available for quitting smoking. I started smoking at age 12, and I've quit more times than I can count.
    But this time is the one!
    You've got to believe that for it to work. I've been working on a new attitude towards cigarettes. In the past when I've quit I've focused on the bad effects of smoking and the good effects of not smoking. This helps, but I found that I ended up wishing that they made cigarettes that weren't bad for me. Or that the stores would sell single cigarettes ('cause how bad would just one be, right?). These are the things that opened the door to smoking again.
    Now I'm thinking of cigarettes as the enemy! If I have a cigarette then they win (and I lose). Also, quitting is so tough, and I sure as hell don't want to go through it anymore. If I never have another smoke then I'll never need to quit smoking again. So this is the last time for me for sure.
    As for the Chantix, I found it very helpful. But you should definitely go through the entire program. I stopped early (thinking I was doing fine and it would save $$$) and a few months later I was smoking as if I'd never quit. So, keep popping the pills, and remember, the cigarettes are not your friends and never were. In fact, they're out to get you!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    LOL.........good for you :flowerforyou:
  • furrflys
    Options
    congrats!! Stay with it, it does get better. I was a heavy smoker since middle school. I quit 3 years ago and now the smell of smoke makes me nauseous!
  • Lyndal
    Lyndal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good for you:flowerforyou: I quit almost 2 years ago, what keeps me off them is the smell!!! (aswell as the obvious health issues) Whenever somebody goes out for a quick smoke, then re-enter the room, they smell.................bad!!! As a smoker, I was never really aware of that horrible dirty bar smoke smell.

Well done and happy new year!!
  • phoppock
    phoppock Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I quit 6 years ago, then smoked again for 11 months--I've been smoke free for 1 year again! It's hard, but there are things that can help, if will power is not enough. Don't eat sugar--it will make it harder to quit. Smoking actually spikes the blood sugar. And if there is an acupucturist near you, give them a call--getting acupuncture made quitting so much easier. Take deep breaths
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    Good for you (and it'll be good for Owen, too . . .what a cutie!).
    I'm on day 3 without cigs now. I consider myself a "professional quitter" having tried patches, gum, cold turkey, hypnosis, chantix, aversion therapy, rubber bands (don't ask), and just about every other method available for quitting smoking. I started smoking at age 12, and I've quit more times than I can count.
    But this time is the one!
    You've got to believe that for it to work. I've been working on a new attitude towards cigarettes. In the past when I've quit I've focused on the bad effects of smoking and the good effects of not smoking. This helps, but I found that I ended up wishing that they made cigarettes that weren't bad for me. Or that the stores would sell single cigarettes ('cause how bad would just one be, right?). These are the things that opened the door to smoking again.
    Now I'm thinking of cigarettes as the enemy! If I have a cigarette then they win (and I lose). Also, quitting is so tough, and I sure as hell don't want to go through it anymore. If I never have another smoke then I'll never need to quit smoking again. So this is the last time for me for sure.
    As for the Chantix, I found it very helpful. But you should definitely go through the entire program. I stopped early (thinking I was doing fine and it would save $$$) and a few months later I was smoking as if I'd never quit. So, keep popping the pills, and remember, the cigarettes are not your friends and never were. In fact, they're out to get you!

I tried quitting last year with Chantix and did the same thing, stopped taking the pills too early and ended up back at it. Not this time! And I know what you mean about thinking differently about cigarettes. This time I've got the same attitude I do towards weight loss.... I'm doing this. No one can stop me, especially not myself! If I don't do it, no one will do it for me. I can't let these things control me anymore. I'm the only one who can control me, dangit!

So I know what you mean. Thanks for the advice and we will both beat this! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Smoking.

Fooled ya!

You totally got me - scared me half to death.. I thought you were having a really bad day.. :laugh: :laugh:

WAY TO GO!!! Excellent birthday present to yourself - many more years..

Happy Birthday..

jb
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    That's awesome...you can do it!!!!
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    Smoking.

Fooled ya!

You totally got me - scared me half to death.. I thought you were having a really bad day.. :laugh: :laugh:

WAY TO GO!!! Excellent birthday present to yourself - many more years..

Happy Birthday..

jb

I'm sorry! :laugh:

I think i'm really funny so I'm still cracking up about it in my head. :blushing: :laugh:

I'm really excited to go home tonight and wash all my clothes and jackets and never have to wreak like smoke again. :bigsmile:
  • schatz
    schatz Posts: 5
    Options
    Congratulations! I have been there so I know how hard that can be. Take it one day at a time and you'll get there. I put my cig money in a jar so I could see it add up. After a month I went shopping with what was in there and it felt great! Way to go.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a healthier you and lungs!!!

I haven't smoked in 9 days............The first 4 or 5 days were the toughest!!! I went through really bad withdrawals!!
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    that is great news. your kids will thank you for that! i lost my father from him smoking 4 years ago. i miss him everyday. so this is nice to hear.

congrats! you can do it!!!!!:flowerforyou: