Was I rude?

Options
Yeah so someone was nice enough to go out of their way and buy me a smoothie from mcdonalds..problem is I think mcdonalds is the worst place you could possibly go for anything! She realized I was hesitant while drinking it..so she dumped it....do you think that was rude of me to have a rejection manner about the drink?

Replies

• Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would maybe just say thank you and take it you dont necessarily have to drink it but the offer was nice. She might have hurt feelings or feel like you were rude to her. Just thank her say your sorry they are not your favorite but thank you for thinking of me.
  • freshstart4me
    Options
    no and oh well. what are you gonna do waste your calories for the day to make someone else happy? NO...i mean im sure you thanked her for being "thoughtful" and all but she'll get over it....just dont expect her to get you anything from now on (which could be just as awesome) remember, youre in this for YOU.
  • iamrobyn
    Options
    Did she just grab it and dump it? Did you explain that it was part of the food plan you were following? I think its all about the approach that was taken.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    meh...If I were her, I would not have found it rude. I would have found myself rude for buying it without first making sure it would be something my friend would enjoy.
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    no....nice gesture on the other person's part, but you are working hard towards a healthier you...right? There is nothing rude about make decisions about your consumption to achieve your goals.

I would just opt for the thanks....but I really don't want it right now....and let him/her give it to someone else.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    you didn't ask for the smoothie, it would be rude of her if she was upset that you didn't want it.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My mother in law made chicken dumplings for dinner last night for the entire family.

I HATE them.

I got myself a plate and ate it. i am a big girl.

If I would have made something for you, or bought you something to be nice or as a gesture of thanks and you act repulsed, yes. i would be offended.

We are women, hello.. we are born to fake it.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You were not being rude. You didn't want it. If someone offered you a cigarette, would you smoke it so you wouldn't offend them? What's the difference?
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    They are actually not that bad. The smoothies I make myself are usually higher calorie. I'd have taken it, drank half and thrown the rest away.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    do you think that was rude of me to have a rejection manner about the drink?
    Pretty much. I value friendship over going out of the way to make a point about my own eating habits. I would have taken a couple of sips, then perhaps dumped it later without her seeing.

Could have made it clear that you don't want any in the future, with a "Oh wow. I really shouldn't, as I'm trying to stay away from these, but hey -- I'll make an exception today. Thank you!"
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think it was rude that she dumped it. Whether you wanted it or not she still gave it to you. It wasn't her place to throw it in the trash and get nasty about it. It's not rude on your part be be conscience about what you're putting in your body. Who knows what's really in that smoothie? Good for you for having the courage to not just drink it out of obligation.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    While the only behavior you mentioned was "I was hesitant while drinking it" it's hard to say if you were being rude.

Drinking it at all, or at least pretending to drink it, seems like the polite thing to do to me. I wouldn't mention your distaste for McDonalds unless it became a habit of hers to give you the stuff. Or at least don't bring it up until the shake is long gone.

She meant well. That's the most important thing. I think it's a good idea to be gracious of peoples kind intentions.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    gordo is right..........pretend to drink it, then excuse yourself and dump in the sink or ladies bath room

hey, you may want to do some damage control and buy her one too, only make hers an Xtr Large........watch the look on her face........
  • musicmint
    Options
    Pretty much. I value friendship over going out of the way to make a point about my own eating habits. I would have taken a couple of sips, then perhaps dumped it later without her seeing.

See that's what I was going to do but then she noticed I stopped drinking it....in the end I regret drinking it because she found out I didn't want it anyway..oh well I'm just gonna do an extra mile today lol!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think you were kind of rude. She was trying to get you something that she thought you would like and would be good for you. You cannot expect everyone to know as much about nutrition as you do. I would have gratefully accepted the kind gesture and probably enjoyed it. Being over on my calories one day is worth not hurting somebody's feelings.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yeah so someone was nice enough to go out of their way and buy me a smoothie from mcdonalds..problem is I think mcdonalds is the worst place you could possibly go for anything! She realized I was hesitant while drinking it..so she dumped it....do you think that was rude of me to have a rejection manner about the drink?

No, I don't think you were rude. But I think her reaction was the same as many people might have and I'm not sure what you can do about it. Some people are just offended when you don't eat/drink something they give you. Some even try to convince or beg you to eat/drink it. But if you didn't ask for it then it's really their issue and all you can do is say "I really appreciate the thought".
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    gordo is right..........
    Of course.

And, hey -- are you calling me fat? It's EXgordo. :laugh:
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Could have made it clear that you don't want any in the future, with a "Oh wow. I really shouldn't, as I'm trying to stay away from these, but hey -- I'll make an exception today. Thank you!"

Ditto!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The smoothies are THAT bad for you. Max 330 calories. It's just high in sugar. If she bought you a candy bar or your otherwise favorite junk fund item would you have been so hesitant?
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Why was she watching you drink it? That sounds like sabotoge to me!