30 day unbiased Shakeology review

Options

Replies

• Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with coaches - In my book basically if someone posts a negative response without actually helping answer a question, they are a "troll." Here's a real definition:

troll:
    In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

This sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, but have been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[5][6]

disagreeing =/= a negative response
    disagreeing =/= trolling

It's an internet forum. People are allowed to disagree with other people. When you post something on an open forum, you invite a discussion, no matter the stance of the opinion. And no one has been off topic here, they're just disagreeing with your views of Shakeology.

ETA - and seriously? this thread is 3 years old :grumble:
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    For you guys that don't care about ingesting the toxic sweeteners, fillers and crap, go try Syntrax Nectar. I'm an onsite IT consultant "road warrior," and I used to keep tubs of it in my car - you can literally eat the powder and then chase it with water. Absolutely delicious! I also used to use their Matrix as a pre-bedtime anti-catabolic protein. I got "healthy" about 5 years back though so it's been Shakeo ever since (or MuscleFeast when I ran out in the past until I became a coach a couple months ago - now I of course don't run out.)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Ah trolls everywhere! Yes if your goal is to just get pure macros - Shakeo is not for you. I actually prefer MuscleFeast - made by an awesome guy in Ohio small company - and doesn't have crap fillers or toxic chemicals like the shakes you just mentioned. And yes, if you are a troll, trolling along myfitnesspal boards deceptively changing peoples words- it will also likely taste disgusting. If you are human though, you will probably love the flavor. I've been drinking shakes as my main breakfast since I was an overweight child, starting with Herbalife over 25 years ago. I also still try and drink other shakes as well and make my own (cacao, hemp protein, pb, almond milk mmm). I have tried some other delicious shakes - nothing touches syntrax nectar when is comes to macros+flavor... you can literally eat the powder and it tastes like candy... but it's filled with toxic sweeteners, chemicals and GMO fillers just like Cellucor and ON shakes :/ There are new shakes on the market all the time, but over the past 25+ years of experience- I simply haven't seen anything touch Shakeo in flavor & nutrition combined... It is not for people who are merely trying to lose or gain weight. It is for people that are looking for all the good ingredients it has to offer and all the health benefits of those ingredients; people that want to live healthy and are aware of the crap toxic ingredients in their real food and their supplements. To the trolls - we're trying to help these people out here. Anybody here honestly actually tried the stuff actually have anything to say? Personally I only had one friend not like the taste of it, but they weren't a shake person... even my fast food junkie friends love it.

Does not agree w/ coach = troll.

Did I do that right?

Yep.

Oh noes, now I'm a troll. Better put up my troll pic.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    "Shakeo" is making me twitchy...
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I used "shakes" in the beginning, but used it as a learning period as I didn't want to drink a shake for 2 meals a day for the rest of my life. It doesn't seem sustainable and its quite expensive.

I learned how to get the right nutrients/macros in real food. Which, IMO is much better.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Lulz...toxic sweeteners.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    This is the third Shakeo post being brought back to life in the past 24 hours! What's going on??? lol

Anyway, this is my experience. I used to be a BB coach just for the discount. I drank it everyday for about four months. I stopped when I found out I was preggo, because no coach or even the website would give me a clear answer as to whether or not I could take it during pregnancy. Towards the end, I started disliking it anyway. I think that at the beginning it was fun to go along with the whole gimmick and all the coaches telling you how AWESOME AND GREAT it is. But really, it tastes bad. I tried some again a few months post partum and I couldn't have more than one gulp.

As far as eating your food vs drinking it...I am one of those people who actually enjoys drinking my food sometimes. Every morning I have a green smoothie that tastes like orange creamsicle. I love it and look forward to it every day! Here is the recipe:

-Huge handful of spinach (about 100g)
    -palmful of parsley
    -one frozen banana
    -about half a cup of some tropical fruit (today I used mango)
    -one tablespoon of chia seeds
    -water, milk, or OJ

It doesn't have a huge amount of protein, but by the end of the day, I get what I need.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Ah trolls everywhere! Yes if your goal is to just get pure macros - Shakeo is not for you. I actually prefer MuscleFeast - made by an awesome guy in Ohio small company - and doesn't have crap fillers or toxic chemicals like the shakes you just mentioned. And yes, if you are a troll, trolling along myfitnesspal boards deceptively changing peoples words- it will also likely taste disgusting. If you are human though, you will probably love the flavor. I've been drinking shakes as my main breakfast since I was an overweight child, starting with Herbalife over 25 years ago. I also still try and drink other shakes as well and make my own (cacao, hemp protein, pb, almond milk mmm). I have tried some other delicious shakes - nothing touches syntrax nectar when is comes to macros+flavor... you can literally eat the powder and it tastes like candy... but it's filled with toxic sweeteners, chemicals and GMO fillers just like Cellucor and ON shakes :/ There are new shakes on the market all the time, but over the past 25+ years of experience- I simply haven't seen anything touch Shakeo in flavor & nutrition combined... It is not for people who are merely trying to lose or gain weight. It is for people that are looking for all the good ingredients it has to offer and all the health benefits of those ingredients; people that want to live healthy and are aware of the crap toxic ingredients in their real food and their supplements. To the trolls - we're trying to help these people out here. Anybody here honestly actually tried the stuff actually have anything to say? Personally I only had one friend not like the taste of it, but they weren't a shake person... even my fast food junkie friends love it.

I have tried shakeology and thought it taste like chalk. $4 is absurd for a protein shake or a meal replace shake. And there is nothing in shakeology that would provide anyone a greater benefit to their health. Beachbody talks about all of the ingredients, but none of them are at a dosage that would be nutritionally benefit to a person.

Love their workouts though, but their supplements are overpriced crap that is priced to support an MLM structure.

Apparently you're not human. A coach told me so.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Honesty, respect and using your precious time in this life trying to help those around you is a much better scheme than trolling these boards making it harder for people to actually read about the actual experiences of others so that we can learn from one another.

But suggesting that those who don't like your product are inhuman is totally respectful.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For you guys that don't care about ingesting the toxic sweeteners, fillers and crap, go try Syntrax Nectar. I'm an onsite IT consultant "road warrior," and I used to keep tubs of it in my car - you can literally eat the powder and then chase it with water. Absolutely delicious! I also used to use their Matrix as a pre-bedtime anti-catabolic protein. I got "healthy" about 5 years back though so it's been Shakeo ever since (or MuscleFeast when I ran out in the past until I became a coach a couple months ago - now I of course don't run out.)

Which toxic sweetners are you even discussing?
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    No, nothing troll about the chalk post - that was a good opinion, and I don't have any problem with people that don't like "my" product. I'd say that most people don't like it including some of my friends and family... Also, I never said that the silly trolls on here are not human, and that was made in fair jest and in response to someone that reposted what I said, changing the words to try and make me look bad. Some people on here get all hot and heavy - I like to keep it light and playful. Keep calm, Troll on :p Toxic sweeteners: Aspartame, Acesulfate-K, Sucralose... there are more out there but those are the big 3. The only non/low-glycemic index affecting one I ever use is stevia plant extracts - specifically sweetleaf brand liquid. There are others out there that are good as well. Obviously you can't avoid all environmental toxins but I do what I can and add or remove ingredients regularly depending on evidence I believe is valid...
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    Oh I'm aware of them but I don't buy the "aspartame is ok" opinions... There's evidence and counter evidence on literally any topic... I've read much of those similar counter arguments as well but don't buy it. I come from where I come from, and it's a long story that nobody here wants to hear. We'll leave it at "disagree." I think aspartame is one of the bigger problems with the failing health and increased cancer rates... My wife is a scientist and does r&d in oncology. I have my own beliefs set on what is and isn't good for you long before I met my wife... She disagrees with much that I believe in as well, but even she winces when she sees her mother put that crap in her coffee...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No, nothing troll about the chalk post - that was a good opinion, and I don't have any problem with people that don't like "my" product. I'd say that most people don't like it including some of my friends and family... Also, I never said that the silly trolls on here are not human, and that was made in fair jest and in response to someone that reposted what I said, changing the words to try and make me look bad. Some people on here get all hot and heavy - I like to keep it light and playful. Keep calm, Troll on :p Toxic sweeteners: Aspartame, Acesulfate-K, Sucralose... there are more out there but those are the big 3. The only non/low-glycemic index affecting one I ever use is stevia plant extracts - specifically sweetleaf brand liquid. There are others out there that are good as well. Obviously you can't avoid all environmental toxins but I do what I can and add or remove ingredients regularly depending on evidence I believe is valid...

Aspertame is as toxic as fructose which is in shakeology. And if anyone of those were actually toxic, do you really think they would be in food? Don't you think people would be dropping dead from illnesses from those associated ingredients?

And the reason people get all hot and heavy is because coaches consistently suggest these magical claims that shakes provide (because Beachbody is good as marketing). All of the ingredients they claim are fantastic for you, are not in the dosages that would provide any benefit to the drinker.
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    Dianne - the troll comments were for those that literally fell into their definition, not the ones that said that they didn't like the taste/texture/price/whatever. I am a problem solver and honestly just like to help people by nature - it doesn't matter if they like what I like or are a customer of mine. To me it seems like this site seems like a great place for people to help each other out... and that's why I put in my two cents in the first place. The FIFYs and trolls that are just trying to muddle the actual topic and discussion really don't help anyone...
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I used "shakes" in the beginning, but used it as a learning period as I didn't want to drink a shake for 2 meals a day for the rest of my life. It doesn't seem sustainable and its quite expensive.

I learned how to get the right nutrients/macros in real food. Which, IMO is much better.

+10,000
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm aware of them but I don't buy the "aspartame is ok" opinions... There's evidence and counter evidence on literally any topic... I've read much of those similar counter arguments as well but don't buy it. I come from where I come from, and it's a long story that nobody here wants to hear. We'll leave it at "disagree." I think aspartame is one of the bigger problems with the failing health and increased cancer rates... My wife is a scientist and does r&d in oncology. I have my own beliefs set on what is and isn't good for you long before I met my wife... She disagrees with much that I believe in as well, but even she winces when she sees her mother put that crap in her coffee...

You what you're saying is, you THINK aspartame, etc... is toxic, and you THINK.....

So you can't say it IS, just you THINK....

When you make those statements, you're trying to pass your opinion off as fact, where as a community we want to make sure the counter argument (and it's backing) is stated as well.
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    My opinons: There's nothing magical about shakeology - I am a fan of the ingredients, not the name on the bag. I was buying a huge amount of these ingredients individually (chlorella, spirulina, reishi, cordyceps, astragalus, etc). As for the toxins like aspartame, they are putting them in our foods, and people are indeed dropping dead... many toxins have a synergistic and compound effect that can take years to kick in. Cancer, heart disease and most human ailments are constantly on the rise, as is the use and exposure to all these bad toxins. No, likely you're not going to drink a coffee sweetened with equal, clutch your heart and drop dead immediately. There is no added fructose to shakeology - it is all real food desiccated and powdered... I do agree that fructose is not an ideal ingredient either - it is just as taxing on your liver as alcohol... but even I have a well defined line - shakeology makes the cut. Don't even get me started on water... THAT is the first place I think people should focus on in eliminating the toxins they are exposed to...
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    Haha - that's the funny thing nobody can say IS. Like I said there is evidence on both sides of the fence. Even the author of your article can't honestly say IS. That is only what he thinks... Theories can always be dis-proven, but never proven. Proofs only exists in mathematics.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Dianne - the troll comments were for those that literally fell into their definition, not the ones that said that they didn't like the taste/texture/price/whatever. I am a problem solver and honestly just like to help people by nature - it doesn't matter if they like what I like or are a customer of mine. To me it seems like this site seems like a great place for people to help each other out... and that's why I put in my two cents in the first place. The FIFYs and trolls that are just trying to muddle the actual topic and discussion really don't help anyone...

But when you turn around and start calling people trolls and suggesting that they aren't human, aren't you muddling the discussion yourself? Rather than rise above it and fight dissent with fact you seem to have fallen to the same tactics.

I've never tried Shakeology and I'm not likely to in the future. But you have to understand that once you state that you're a Beachbody coach you're representing your company. And unfortunately, we've seen lots of coaches post here in the past using fear mongering tactics or outright lies to try and sell their product. I saw one recently try to suggest that users could stop taking all prescription medications if they just used it. It's really no wonder that coaches get some push back here. You have to decide what kind of face you want to be for your company.

You're right that this is a great board to help people and give advice. I hope that you get around to it sometime when you're done defending your product here.