30 day unbiased Shakeology review

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My opinons: There's nothing magical about shakeology - I am a fan of the ingredients, not the name on the bag. I was buying a huge amount of these ingredients individually (chlorella, spirulina, reishi, cordyceps, astragalus, etc). As for the toxins like aspartame, they are putting them in our foods, and people are indeed dropping dead... many toxins have a synergistic and compound effect that can take years to kick in. Cancer, heart disease and most human ailments are constantly on the rise, as is the use and exposure to all these bad toxins. No, likely you're not going to drink a coffee sweetened with equal, clutch your heart and drop dead immediately. There is no added fructose to shakeology - it is all real food desiccated and powdered... I do agree that fructose is not an ideal ingredient either - it is just as taxing on your liver as alcohol... but even I have a well defined line - shakeology makes the cut. Don't even get me started on water... THAT is the first place I think people should focus on in eliminating the toxins they are exposed to...

Peer reviewed study?
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    Break it apart - each statement is well know fact, (aspartame is added to food, aspartame is toxin, people are dying, toxins have synergistic effect, cancer is on the rise, etc) glued together in a single sentence to show correlation and expose some of my theories - which by the way are very unoriginal...
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    The amount of aspartame one has to ingest to have a bad reaction (unless you have an actual intolerance like I do with Splenda) is an insane amount that NO human would be able to ingest. I don't use the stuff personally although I'm sure it's in some of the foods I eat. I much prefer saccharin if I'm going to sweeten my tea and anything else I use the real stuff.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I wouldn't quote a study from a company that has serious issues http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html

"Many of Mercola's articles make unsubstantiated claims and clash with those of leading medical and public health organizations. For example, he opposes immunization [5] fluoridation [6], mammography [7], and the routine administration of vitamin K shots to the newborn [8,9]; claims that amalgam fillings are toxic [10]; and makes many unsubstantiated recommendations for dietary supplements. Mercola's reach has been greatly boosted by repeated promotion on the "Dr. Oz Show.""

Personally, I don't trust companies like that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My opinons: There's nothing magical about shakeology - I am a fan of the ingredients, not the name on the bag. I was buying a huge amount of these ingredients individually (chlorella, spirulina, reishi, cordyceps, astragalus, etc). As for the toxins like aspartame, they are putting them in our foods, and people are indeed dropping dead... many toxins have a synergistic and compound effect that can take years to kick in. Cancer, heart disease and most human ailments are constantly on the rise, as is the use and exposure to all these bad toxins. No, likely you're not going to drink a coffee sweetened with equal, clutch your heart and drop dead immediately. There is no added fructose to shakeology - it is all real food desiccated and powdered... I do agree that fructose is not an ideal ingredient either - it is just as taxing on your liver as alcohol... but even I have a well defined line - shakeology makes the cut. Don't even get me started on water... THAT is the first place I think people should focus on in eliminating the toxins they are exposed to...

Cancer's, heart disease, and human ailments will not be prevented by shakeology. Shakeology is a supplement that helps cuts calories. And the number one killer of people is cvd, which is directly tied to obesity. With cancer, a lot of it is genetic, so shakes can't solve that either.

In the end, correlation =/= causation. It's more than what you eat, it's genetics, weight management, exercise, antibiotics, and more. Drinking a shake isn't magic. If you want to spend $4 per serving on a tool to cut calories, great. But i prefer to get nutrients from actually food because a 120 calorie shake won't even touch the surface of my hunger.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Break it apart - each statement is well know fact, (aspartame is added to food, aspartame is toxin, people are dying, toxins have synergistic effect, cancer is on the rise, etc) glued together in a single sentence to show correlation and expose some of my theories - which by the way are very unoriginal...

So no?
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    Again, the only people I called trolls are the ones that fit the definition. If someone lies, I will likely call them out as a liar. I'm a new coach, can't speak for other coaches, haven't posted on a board in I don't even remember how long... The funny thing is that I don't even think of myself as a coach. I happen to drink the stuff, do the workouts and like to share it what I do. That's about it. I have many more exciting things in my life to fill the "who are you" question, but they all don't fit in this discussion. As far as coaching style - think of me as the waiter/waitress that comes around with the coffee pot at a diner. Not everyone wants coffee. I know that. Some people even have an aversion to the coffee. I'm not going to sit down and try and convince people that don't want coffee to "like my product." But for people to start shouting that coffee sucks and caffeine is crap, etc... Is not too considerate for the people interested in trying coffee for the first time or who wants to know about it... So when my comments were trolled - I simply let them be aware of what they were doing... and now instead of trolling, there seems to actually be some substance back and forth - real discussion (and some humanity) has been restored :)
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    Guys, quackwatch itself is run by paid-off quacks... I've read book after book on both sides of the fence and who was saying what and who was suspected of being paid off (or not) and by whom... I know as much or little as the next guy because of all the info and dis-info out there, but please do your own research. If you honestly are that passionate about leaving these questionable ingredients in your food, go for it. Maybe it'll bug you though and you'll do a little more research, hopefully before (Godforbid) something bad happens to you or loved ones in the meantime to make you question a little more... I won't be able to post until later on but I'll try to find or make a "toxin" topic to post in - we're getting way off course here...
  • latinqtpy
    Options
    I am no Beach Body coach either, I agree 100%, it is pricey however when you do that math... it's more or less $4-$5 a day and that's what one might normally spend at Dunkin Donuts. It's delicious! It doesn't taste "diet" at all. I make mine with almond milk to give it more of a creamy effect. I add a cup of frozen strawberries and/or a banana with either vanilla or chocolate. Shakeology has too cut my cravings for morning coffee and, even more importantly, junk food.
  • ljcny61
    Options
    I've been reading ALL the reviews...I was feeling positive, then I would question why, then question why I'm using it, etc! I read one line from a review that made me smile and happy with my decision to use Shakeology:

'Congrats on your weight loss and don't let what others say discourage you..If you like it, can afford it..keep using it.. '

I make my shakes in the morning with water, frozen raspberries or a banana and ICE!! It's like have a wonderful chocolate shake!! (I'm allergic to almonds!)
    :smile:
  • laurhite
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I just started Shakeology, primarily to curb cravings. I have a healthy breakfast and usually eat nuts for lunch but, dinner I fall down. The worst part of the day. So, I'm hoping it will give me the energy to exercise everyday and stop craving bread or sweets at dinner. Fingers crossed.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • shanehackney
    shanehackney Posts: 22 Member
    Options

The main reason I picked Shakeology was the finding on Food Facts website. Shakeology was number #1 until recently Garden of Life has a higher score. http://www.foodfacts.com/nutritionalinformation_Meal-Replacement-Drinks/20/321/1821

Interesting site. I use Arbonne shakes (I do not see, just consume). I was surprise to see they were not reviewed.
  • anashnyc
    anashnyc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great review
    I just wanted to mention that your recipe is my favorite,
    I just add one banana and the rest of your ingredients and it taste soooo goood!
    Love it
    Congrats on your weight loss, keep up the good work!

The problem with adding a banana to the shake to make it taste better, is that a banana is about 110 calories. So that 160 calorie shake is now 260 calories. I am not knocking the concept of this shake, but adding ingredients always adds calories.
  • erinnboberinn
    erinnboberinn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This review gives me a little more of a push to go and try it. My friends are trying to get me on the beachbody 21 Day fix challenge with shakeology as well, but I'm not entirely sold yet. But I'm still thinking about it :)
  • CarrieK81
    Options
    I have a sample pack with 4 packets. I've tried 3 of them. I've tried recipes recommended and they all still taste horrible. So far chocolate is the only one I could consider ordering. And it still didn't taste very good.
  • mrs91
    mrs91 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »

Or better yet...EAT FOOD.

Now stop it right now you know this isn't the place for Common Sense.:happy:

and look sometimes some of us are just lazy or have whatever other reasons they need to use this type of product. I am not ashamed to admit I am lazy. I hate cooking, I am not good at it and I hate when it feels like there is little to no rewards. I love to eat quick and easy and Bad foods.
    I am one of a two person mixed schedule household- This means we rarely have meals together because one of is working. Also means that dinners can be more expensive because I can't eat the same darn recipe 5 or 6 times a week. So a lot goes to waste. These types of products if they work would be nice to have other wise its just downhill for those of us who have little self control and patience. Doesn't help that I get bored easily with food too.

• mrs91
    mrs91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    JDBLY11 wrote: »
    I agree with everything Acg said. A good protein powder will run roughly $25 for a month's supply. A good multivitamin will also run roughly $25 for a month's supply. So, for less than half the cost of a month of Shakology, I have much better quality, as let's be honest, Shakeology is incredibly skimpy in the quality of the ingredients they use, as Acg has already pointed out.

If Shakeology was $40 a month instead of $100 a month, I would consider it a decent product, but it's absolutely ridiculously overpriced for what you get, and there are many, many, many far better options out there for way less money.

I agree. $100 or $4 a shake is etremely high. They should be using the best ingredients of everything for that price. I think I will take your suggestion instead.

I kind of wonder though if we were to try and piece meal this ourselves what the cost would be??- No idea about supplements. Is there something else out there to show the cost differentiation.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Nice zombie thread.