Water question

Options
I know it is suggested to drink 8 glasses of water a day, give or take, I guess, based on weight, activity level, etc. My question is does this mean just water, or do things like tea (green or otherwise), coffee, or other non-calorie non-soda things count? I have heard differing opinions on this in the past, and wondered if there was a standard viewpoint currently? I had even read somewhere that some experts had decided that any liquid as long as it wasn't sugary would hydrate the body, so they were including even milk as counting toward the 8-glasses-a-day quota.

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    water means just good ol' plain water. everything else is NOT water...even most flavored waters are not water because they have artificial stuff in them.

and you should aim for half of your body weight in ounces of water per day.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You'll get various opinions here and mine is a liquid is a liquid is a liquid so all liquids count! I certainly count the water added to my protein shake so why wouldn't I count the water added to Crystal Light? Not that I drink the stuff just sayin'...and the same goes for water used to make coffee and tea.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well, most of the time tea and coffee have caffeine in it. Caffeine is a diuretic so it is actually dehydrating you vs hydrating you. So, honestly it isn't any different than pop.

Water is water. I only count pure water towards my daily water needs. If I add anything (even stuff like Crystal light) I do not count it as water.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I count my crystal light and my sugar free Iced Tea. But, that is me. :tongue:
  • mccgivens
    Options
    water means just good ol' plain water. everything else is NOT water...even most flavored waters are not water because they have artificial stuff in them.

\

Really...Half my body weight? Maybe that is why I'm not losing "water weight"? At least I don't think I am.
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It should always be water. If you need to slowly get there, I recommend crystal light but anything else should not count as water. We need water to help wash away the toxins in our body. It took me awhile to get there.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I only count pure water, and the water used in non-caffeinated teas (and I take my tea black).
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with counting flavored water ( a la crystal light or some such) as water as long as it's not a diuretic. That said, I'll usually have about a gallon of water/day plus whatever other liquids.
  • H_Factor
    Options

\

Really...Half my body weight? Maybe that is why I'm not losing "water weight"? At least I don't think I am.

yes...at least half your body weight. add another 8 ounces for every 8 ounces of caffeinated beverage you drink and add another 8 ounces for every 30 minutes of exercise.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The experts do say that because it's true. Do you really think that putting tea leaves in water someone makes that glass contain less water??? Even if you put sugar in it. If you ate a spoonful of sugar and then drank the water, you'd count it as water, right? So dumping the sugar in the water does not make is any less water. It just means you should log the calories from the sugar too.

Hydration is about how much water you consume, in any form, versus how much water you lose (through breath, sweat and urine). What you consume along with the water should be evaluated for calories, sodium, etc., but it does not take water out of the glass. It's just common sense really.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options

\

I'd love to see the research study behind this statement ?
    yes...at least half your body weight. add another 8 ounces for every 8 ounces of caffeinated beverage you drink and add another 8 ounces for every 30 minutes of exercise.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Here we go again. Anything you eat or drink has water in it. Your body will extract the water from what you eat or drink. The 8 cups of FLUID that are recommended refers to all of it. That said, if you add other stuff to your water (like mixes, teas, etc), it will have other properties that may have an effect on your body. But the water is still water, it doesn't magically cease to be water because something else is dissolved in it. I don't know why people on this forum can't understand that simple fact.

So if you're going to mix something else into it you have to account for it's properties in your diet plan. For instance it may have calories, sugars, carbs, sodium or potassium that you need to track in your diary. Also caffeine can have a dehydrating effect (not saying you'll be dehydrated but it will increase your body's need for water somewhat). Account for all of that and you'll be fine. There is no reason you have to drink pure water.

If you want a personal example, I almost NEVER drink pure water and I'm very well hydrated I can assure you.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I have heard quite a wide variety of thoughts on this from many sources, so I think everyone has to make their own decision for their body.
    For me, I don't count coffee at all due to it's high caffeine content. I count tea at half it's volume, since it doesn't contain as much caffeine. (So I count a cup of tea as 1/2 cup of water.) Alcoholic beverages I don't count. I don't drink soda, but if I did, I think I'd count it as a tea. And since juices don't have caffeine, I'd count them as water (plus counting the calories of course).
    Not be gross, but a good guide is the color of your urine. It should be almost clear. If it's not, drink more water and/or stop counting your caffeinated beverages.
  • H_Factor
    Options
    here's the reason flavored waters and other products with artificial junk in them (a/k/a toxins) don't count as water....simple....they aren't digested in the same manner as water. the toxins in the flavored water and other drinks are not something natural for the body to digest.

I drink plain water and I usually have 1 Sobe lifewater a day (the 0 calorie ones). Sobe lifewater may be the only flavored water that does not have artificial junk in it. They use a wholly natural sweetener...stevia.
  • H_Factor
    Options
    sneezles asked for research about my half your bodyweight (+) comment. I read it and I know a source was cited, but I don't have it handy. I know for me, when I get at least 100 ounces in a day, things work out better in terms of energy, lack of hunger between meals, the clear piss thing, and overall weight loss. I know that when I start to skimp on my water and get 64 ounces in, things don't work as well.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    here's the reason flavored waters and other products with artificial junk in them (a/k/a toxins) don't count as water....simple....they aren't digested in the same manner as water. the toxins in the flavored water and other drinks are not something natural for the body to digest.

I drink plain water and I usually have 1 Sobe lifewater a day (the 0 calorie ones). Sobe lifewater may be the only flavored water that does not have artificial junk in it. They use a wholly natural sweetener...stevia.

So now we're actually changing the subject. If you drink 8 ounces of water, you drink 8 ounces of water whether or not something else is dissolved in it. Your body receives 8 ounces of water from it. Now if you don't like the "toxins" in those flavor powders that's fine, but that's another topic and has nothing to do with water intake. Your body still processes the water. And my classic example is again if you ate the packet of powder first and then drank the water, your body is going to handle that the same as if you dissolve the two together. The ghost stories of magical evil substances that somehow destroy water that get told on this board are laughable.
  • H_Factor
    Options
    bottom line...nothing is as good for you as plain water. I doubt anyone could really debate that. so, the issue becomes how much worse are other liquids...flavored waters, coffee, tea, soda (hard to believe anyone is counting soda as any form of water intake)...for you than water and is there enough of a difference that they shouldn't be counted. As someone suggested, see how your body reacts to those other liquids being included in your "water" count....and then take a week where you only drink water and see how you feel and how the scale reacts.

its certainly possible that some folks' bodies are more efficient than others...and they can process any amount of liquid toxin as quickly as plain water. so, do the test on yourself.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Here we go again. Anything you eat or drink has water in it. Your body will extract the water from what you eat or drink. The 8 cups of FLUID that are recommended refers to all of it. That said, if you add other stuff to your water (like mixes, teas, etc), it will have other properties that may have an effect on your body. But the water is still water, it doesn't magically cease to be water because something else is dissolved in it. I don't know why people on this forum can't understand that simple fact.

So if you're going to mix something else into it you have to account for it's properties in your diet plan. For instance it may have calories, sugars, carbs, sodium or potassium that you need to track in your diary. Also caffeine can have a dehydrating effect (not saying you'll be dehydrated but it will increase your body's need for water somewhat). Account for all of that and you'll be fine. There is no reason you have to drink pure water.

If you want a personal example, I almost NEVER drink pure water and I'm very well hydrated I can assure you.

QFT.

Coffee wont hydrate you as much as a glass of neat water will, but it'll do about 75% of the hydration. That's how people who only drink coffee stay alive.

I didn't know of anyone who drank neat water before coming here, and they're all alive and kicking and perfectly hydrated, so it proves you dont NEED neat water!

But, each to their own :) Just seems to be another thing to track on top of the important things to me :)
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    [/quote]

So if I weigh 155, I drink 77.50 ounces a day.....then if I work out an hour I drink 16 ounces.......and if I have 3 cups of coffee I have 24 ounces. So with that being said, I am supposed to have 117.50 ounces for that particular day or 14.5- 8 ounce glasses?? :huh:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    So if I weigh 155, I drink 77.50 ounces a day.....then if I work out an hour I drink 16 ounces.......and if I have 3 cups of coffee I have 24 ounces. So with that being said, I am supposed to have 117.50 ounces for that particular day or 14.5- 8 ounce glasses?? :huh:

If you believe some people on here, yes :P

Or, just drink when your body tells you. Get your fruit and veg, drink when you're thirsty, job done. :)