Box Brownies- Applesauce instead of eggs?

Options
cowboydan43
cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
I used the search and from what I can see people use applesauce (or pumpkin) instead of oil in a brownie mix but not eggs. I'm doing something for a demonstration in a course this week and wanted to show how vegan brownies can be just as delicious as ones with eggs but so far nothing is really backing my claim. Has anyone made brownies from a box and used applesauce instead of eggs (still using oil)? Were they good? Is the texture noticeably off?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just looking for a regular vegan brownie recipe?
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I would like to know, heres a bump!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    What about bananas?
  • MayGetsHealthy
    Options
    This is really irrelevant but my aunt tried to make vegan brownies by using beans instead of eggs. Don't do it. Ever. It was so bad.
  • mtbbabe
    mtbbabe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do a search on egg substitutes on google. I think you can use a mixture of water and flax seed to replace the egg. I did this once when I ran out of eggs and if I remember correctly you would heat the mixture on the stove for a couple of minutes and it became the consistency of egg whites.
  • TKretzinger
    Options
    I have used applesauce, but it was to replace the oil not the eggs.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    ive always switched the oil for applesauce...never eggs
  • phatphd
    Options
    I haven't found that substituting applesauce for eggs works really well because the applesauce doesn't function as a binder the way that eggs do most of the time. But I've used this recipe, which makes for really fudge-y delicious veganized box brownies:

- 1 box brownie mix (make sure ingredients are vegan)
    - 1 tbsp. ground flax seed + 3 tbsp. warm water for every egg called for on the box
    - vegetable, canola, etc. oil
    - baking soda

Other egg substitutes that sometimes work (just depending on the recipe, sometimes you have to experiment a little...):

• canned pumpkin or butternut squash
    • mashed banana
    • mashed sweet potato
    • potato starch
    • flax seeds crushed and mixed with water
    • nut meal mixed with water
    • silken tofu
    • soy yogurt
    • vital wheat gluten

Play around a little! Veganizing box mixes is totally doable!
  • cowboydan43
    Options
    Would thawed frozen bananas work? I wouldn't really want it to change the flavor but I guess it doesn't matter as long as they still taste good. That is why I thought applesauce would work because it is a pretty mild flavor. I'm looking up vegan brownies right now...either way it will be from the same box mix I just want to change up the wet ingredients.
  • cowboydan43
    Options
    I do have vital wheat gluten. Haven't done anything wit it yet- does it have a taste?
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've used applesauce instead of both the oil and eggs in cake and brownies. I find them delicious (sweeter than following the recipe from the box)! The only problem is that they do seem to fall apart and crack sometimes. Do big deal unless you are decorating for a birthday.
  • cowboydan43
    Options
    This is really irrelevant but my aunt tried to make vegan brownies by using beans instead of eggs. Don't do it. Ever. It was so bad.

Sounds pretty gross....I've heard of the black bean brownies or whatever. Ick
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I've also used banana as a substitute for eggs and oil.
  • cowboydan43
    Options
    Oh, and I've also used banana as a substitute for eggs and oil.

Since you have tried both which do you recommend?
  • phatphd
    Options
    VItal wheat gluten has a mild flavor - it mostly absorbs whatever flavors you impart to it. It's a great option for baking!
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    You can sub 3 tbs applesauce per egg, or 1 tbs corn starch 1 tbs water per egg
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever used it with a box mix, but my daughter is allergic to soy and eggs, I use applesauce to replace both in various recipes.

Just try it. If it fails you are only out a couple of bucks.
  • houzkat
    Options
    My sister is vegan and uses www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com to fix her sweet tooth. If you want a good recipe she likely has one.
  • Sallycinnimon
    Sallycinnimon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I make these brownie muffins (i'm sure you can just make a pan of brownies with it). Its a box of devils food cake mix and a can of pumpkin! and everyone at work didn't realize what they were! Hope it works for you!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It won't work if you try and substitute bananas or applesauce for eggs. Those are substitutes for oil. The best substitute is a product called Ener G egg replacer and you can find it at health food stores. Otherwise, use ground flax seed. You don't need to heat it. Just add water and let it set up for a few minutes. If you choose to go that route, send me a message and I can get you the proper ratios of flax seed to water.