Box Brownies- Applesauce instead of eggs?

Options

Replies

• cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses it looks like I have some major experimenting to do before Tuesday
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    In my experience using applesauce results in a more moist and fluffy brownie! There was no taste difference. It's f-ing delicious and I always do so when I bake because of how much more delicious they are that way.

I've had muffins made with banana instead and they had a bit of the banana flavor, thus why I would be less apt to try this.
  • cowboydan43
    Options
    It won't work if you try and substitute bananas or applesauce for eggs. Those are substitutes for oil. The best substitute is a product called Ener G egg replacer and you can find it at health food stores. Otherwise, use ground flax seed. You don't need to heat it. Just add water and let it set up for a few minutes. If you choose to go that route, send me a message and I can get you the proper ratios of flax seed to water.

I may resort to the Ener G egg, I've seen it around and had it in pancakes at a friend's before. I'm just cheap and it goes for around $10 here. I don't love my class that much.
  • kajones2009
    kajones2009 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have used cornstarch in place of eggs before to make cookies, and they turned out quite well. ** cornstarch and water that is...
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sarahsmom1
    Options
    I used the search and from what I can see people use applesauce (or pumpkin) instead of oil in a brownie mix but not eggs. I'm doing something for a demonstration in a course this week and wanted to show how vegan brownies can be just as delicious as ones with eggs but so far nothing is really backing my claim. Has anyone made brownies from a box and used applesauce instead of eggs (still using oil)? Were they good? Is the texture noticeably off?

Thanks!!

This might sound strange, but these brownies actually come out rich and fudgy. They are low fat, high in fiber and protein and no one would know there are beans in them.

I calculated these with a box of Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Brownies, but I plan on buying reduced sugar to see if it lowers the points and still taste as good. Points may vary depending on which brand you use.

Black Bean Brownies
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 20 servings • Serving Size: 1 brownie • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 138.1 • Fat: 2.6 g • Protein: 2.9 g • Carb: 28 g • Fiber: 1.8 g

15 oz can black beans
    19.5 oz box chocolate brownie mix

Open can of beans, drain and rinse well. Put beans back in the can and fill can with water. Put beans and water in blender until smooth. Mix pureed beans with brownie package mix. DO NOT add eggs or oil. Spray baking dish with Pam. Cook brownies according to package directions. Cool and serve.
  • hollybearrington
    Options
    weight watcher and I have tried them they r ok they did fix my choc for that moment. u take brownie mix and take a can of black beans rinse them well. put them back in the can and add water then take them and puree them and add them to the brownies and you get your fiber too
  • cowboydan43
    Options
    Ahh black bean brownies sound really funky haha thanks for the recipe though its clearly a very healthy alternative
  • sarahsmom1
    Options
    I used the search and from what I can see people use applesauce (or pumpkin) instead of oil in a brownie mix but not eggs. I'm doing something for a demonstration in a course this week and wanted to show how vegan brownies can be just as delicious as ones with eggs but so far nothing is really backing my claim. Has anyone made brownies from a box and used applesauce instead of eggs (still using oil)? Were they good? Is the texture noticeably off?

Thanks!!
    There are several things you can use.

1tbsp flax seeds + 3tbsp water=1 egg
    Finely grind flax seeds in coffee grinder or blender and mix with water. Works well in whole grain items and pancakes

1/4cup Silken Tofu blended=1 egg
    Blend until smooth and creamy. Works best in dense cakes and brownies. For lighter cakes use smaller quantities(example, if it asks for 3 eggs, use 2 'tofu' eggs)

1/2 banana blended
    Blend until smooth. Best in muffins and quickbreads

1 1/2tbsp ener-g egg replacer + 2tbsp water=1 egg
    Works best in cookies and crispy things
  • cowboydan43
    Options
    Hmm silken tofu sounds like it would be easy to use as a replacement. I wonder about the binding properties though? Thanks for the tips
  • ScoutMomAng
    Options
    I have not tried it to replace the eggs only to replace the oil. It works replacing the oil with apple sauce but I'm not sure about the eggs. You can use soda pop like (7 up) to replace the egg in a cake but I do not know the amount and do not know if it will work in a brownie mix.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Someone already said it: flax seed meal.

Seriously.

Just mix a tablespoon of the stuff with 2 or 3 tablespoons of water for EACH egg in whatever recipe.

I've done this with box mixes and it's fine. Might need a little less oil though.

I've used applesauce, bananas, and silken tofu in other recipes and they just turned out like crap but they were all home made, not boxed.
  • asedersten
    Options
    I used a recipe from Hungry Girl. The recipe calls for one box of chocolate devil's food cake mix and 15 oz of pumpkin (can). They are delicious and very healthy!!

Recipe

Ingredients:

One 18.25-oz. box devil's food cake mix
    One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin (Libby's is the best!)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Pour cake mix into a large bowl and whisk to remove any lumps. Add pumpkin and stir until completely smooth and uniform.

Don't add any other ingredients that may be mentioned on the cake mix box, like eggs, oil, or water. The mixture will be very thick, so you might be tempted to add in other things to make the batter thinner. Do not do this!

Evenly distribute batter into a 12-cup muffin pan lined with foil baking cups and/or sprayed with nonstick spray. Place pan in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly and then serve!

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Nutritional Information:

PER SERVING (1 muffin): 181 calories, 3.5g fat, 357mg sodium, 37g carbs, 2g fiber, 20g sugars, 2g protein
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bananas will make the brownies slightly more fudge-like, and stick together better than applesauce. Thawed, frozen bananas should be ok, just use a blender or egg beater on them first.

What I tried to say earlier was that applesauce will make them taste slightly sweeter (delicious, of course!), but they do fall apart easily. If they are for a birthday cake or something you want to decorate, it probably won't work. (Bananas either, for that matter.)

But if you are interested in delicious brownies that you cut up yourself and serve before anyone looks at the whole pan...either one will be great.
  • Autumn15
    Options
    I just made brownies today using the pumpkin in place of oil and I only used egg white but you could use egg replacer instead, but they turned out delicious very moist, even the kids loved them. I like the pumpkin over apple sauce because it seems to keep the texture truer to form and you don't taste it like you do the apple sauce in my opinion. I've been wanting to try the Silken texture tofu so if you try it let us know what you think. :)
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My sister is vegan and uses www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com to fix her sweet tooth. If you want a good recipe she likely has one.

I just checked out her website...lot's of good stuff here. Found a few I want to try for sure. Lot of good savory items here too and not just all desserts.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Eggs are an emulsifier(they mix oil and water), I don't see how applesauce can do the same.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I've used olive oil in place of the oil AND a single serving container of applesauce. I've also added walnuts. People love them! And, you get some added Omega 3's.
  • mrsgoodguy
    Options
    walmart has a product in the dairy section called Flax Milk. It is delicious, has about 60 calories per cup and on the carton it has a chart for egg substitution. I also use it to make sugar free, fat free pudding...yum
  • mrsgoodguy
    Options
    Here's a link to the site for the egg substitution

http://www.flaxusa.com/recipes.php