How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I usually shoot for once a week, same time each week. But more importantly do your measurements. These tell the real story. The scale is quick and dirty and is often influenced by factors that make it inaccurate (like water retention, time of day, etc).

I agree...measurements are more important. Losing bodyfat should be your goal, NOT WEIGHT!
  • jah1078
    jah1078 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I personally do it 2x day. At the same times, every morning and every night. It is also important to not let that number consume you. You need to "measure" something else. Take measurements of your body. Waist, arms, legs etc. You will find that even thought that scale doesn't move, your body is still shrinking. Muscle weighs more than fat, so turning fat into muscle will show results visually, but not always on the scale.
  • sdmcbride10
    sdmcbride10 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like that idea because I get off track easily if I see the number increasing and I am working hard I tend to fall off the wagon do to lack of desired results
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I usually shoot for once a week, same time each week. But more importantly do your measurements. These tell the real story. The scale is quick and dirty and is often influenced by factors that make it inaccurate (like water retention, time of day, etc).

"quick and dirty".... that is my scale right there! Oh...and did I mention it lies? LOL I can't help it... I weigh myself every day...but I don't let the numbers rule me... I just like to see what it says from day to day...but I can retain water like a camel even if I don't go over my sodium limit... so I know that affects it... I agree with Markus about the measuring... that and how my clothes fit show me WAY more how much I have lost than my scale... If I just went by what my scale said... I would have probably given up on this months ago.....
    So just do what makes you feel the best....If you are focused on the numbers....then perhaps you should try doing it weekly or monthly... Just don't let that dirty lying scale make you discouraged!!! :drinker:
  • anneke123456
    Options
    I am never off the scales and they never move :( always the same. Its every day of every other day. I want to do it once a week though.
  • vannie18
    Options
    Once a week, I try to stay away from the scale as much as possible.
  • Rosepower
    Rosepower Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try only twice a week

10860968.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • runurse05
    runurse05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you. I weigh myself daily and it is so discouraging sometimes. I find that I feel like giving up if I see the number going up even though I'm doing all the right things...eating correctly, working out 5-6 days a week(3 days weights and cardio, 2-3 days just cardio). Can anyone give me some tips? Any inspirational comments? I have been having such a difficult time.
  • ladybug813
    Options
    I only weigh weekly everyday will make you insane
  • StephW1990
    Options
    Im daily .. I think once i get into a routine of doing it weekly that will be fine, but daily is way too much !! at the gym they weigh and measure you once a month. I even think getting rid of my scales may be a good idea and just sticking to once a month at the gym ! :)
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you. I weigh myself daily and it is so discouraging sometimes. I find that I feel like giving up if I see the number going up even though I'm doing all the right things...eating correctly, working out 5-6 days a week(3 days weights and cardio, 2-3 days just cardio). Can anyone give me some tips? Any inspirational comments? I have been having such a difficult time.

The trainers at my gym told me that doing too much cardio can actually increase you're BMI because you're burning muscle and not fat.
  • runurse05
    runurse05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Really?? How often do they recommed doing cardio?
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I"ve heard doing cardio 3x a week for around 30 min, and then strength training the other days. But to give your body days to recover as well.

Good luck!
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I Do it once a week. I would go nuts doing it everyday
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

The trainers at my gym told me that doing too much cardio can actually increase you're BMI because you're burning muscle and not fat.

Well they told us when you do cardio that you do not need to do more than 30 minutes. My friend and I try to go to the gym 3-4 times a week, which is what they recommend, but they also don't want us going nuts on the cardio machines. Sometimes you see those people that look like they're about to fall off the treadmill or break an arm off the elliptical. For example, we train once a week with the trainer for 30 minutes then he has us do 2 miles on the treadmill at a speedwalk pace because it will burn the fat. You need to give your body ample time to rest as well. If you are going 6-7 days a week and even though everyday is not a strength training day your body is not resting.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day just to keep on track. I log once a week.

If its bothering you, stick it in the closet until your weigh in day
  • skinniewannabe
    skinniewannabe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I wish i had the will power to stay away from the scale and only weigh once a week, however I always find myself stepping on every day while I'm in weight loss mode. Now, the opposite happens when I'm not trying to loose weight, I find myself not stepping on for weeks becuse I just don't want to know.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly. I totally understand the thought of going to just once a month, but then you do lose that element of accountability. Some people do great with just going by how their clothes fit, but I need more concrete evidence when I'm trying to lose. So I do the once a week thing, just telling myself ahead of time to remember I had something really salty the day before, or it's that time of month. But the tape measure is your real friend. A once-a-month (or even twice a month) measuring session can really tell the story, especially if you measure several places, not just the "big three". One measurement may stay the same for a few weeks, but another will be smaller.
  • latepaul
    latepaul Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I weigh probably daily... but i only record once a week-ish

it keeps me in check, but i dont let it bother me if i see a pound or 2 fluctuations.

This is what I do.

My "official" weigh-in is once a week. The daily ones either let me know I'm on track or prepare me for when I know it's going o be a disappointing week.

However since starting to use MFP more (i.e. the last week) I've tended to put my weight in every day. I may stop doing that soon.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    Once every 2 weeks.