Are you prejudiced against skinny or fat people?

Options
I guess I had never thought about this at all. I like who I like. I dislike who I dislike.

Anyway, for school, there was a link to a site that includes surveys to determine whether or not we are prejudiced against different types of people. There were several different surveys and I wanted to see what the survey would say about me.

I selected the survey that dealt with weight. After answering all the questions, it was determined that I lean neither one way nor the other between thin and not-thin people.

What are your results?

The website is implicit.harvard.edu/implicit

If you take the survey, be honest. I think the results may surprise us.

Replies

• ziggylove
    Options
    Humans are prejudiced about pretty much everything. We just don't like to admit it.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm prejudiced against people who like Celine Dion :-)
  • TrishMahon
    Options
    Yes I am. I will look at someone and think, "he/she needs to eat a cheeseburger" because they are too thin or I will think that "that person needs to lay off the candy bars"

I hate that about myself that I am judgemental and it is wrong. Even though you know everyone is thinking it. Even at a recent wedding I had more than one family member ask me of I had a change in medicine because I gained weight. So I am against both
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    Humans are prejudiced about pretty much everything. We just don't like to admit it.

thats so true. a very sad truth...
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Dont kill me, I did it and

Your data suggests:
    Moderate automatic preference for Thin People compared to Fat People
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Lol. Not killing anyone. I just thought it was interesting and I guess we can always stand to learn things (good and bad) about ourselves.
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Dont kill me, I did it and

Your data suggests:
    Moderate automatic preference for Thin People compared to Fat People

I also got this quite shocked at myself really!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I got that I had a strong preference for thin people which doesn't surprise me at all.
    Aethetically I think skinny is beautiful, and I have more common reality with others who are trim and active (and no much automatic reality with those who are overweight. I'm not saying that I always have more in common with thin people and less in common with overweight people once I get to know them, but I am saying that I feel more instantly connected with them when I first meet/see them.
    Sorry if any of that seems insensitive, but it's my truth.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,172 Member
    Options
    That was fun.
    :smile:
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yes, Im prejudiced against fat people and I hate myself for it. It's not that I think they are inferior as people because of their weight but more that I just can't understand how they can bear to be around others (or even themselves) because I know I couldn't be if I was that weight.

But that says far more about me than about anybody else. The prejudice and fat paranoia is entirely me projecting my own feelings about my weight onto other people.
  • goatruns
    Options
    Mine said:

Everyday the chance of you climbing a water tower with a rifle increases.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes I am. I will look at someone and think, "he/she needs to eat a cheeseburger" because they are too thin or I will think that "that person needs to lay off the candy bars"

I am the same way and I am ashamed of it. I am overweight and I know some people feel the same way about me. I am working on changing my ways.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It seems hypocritical given my lifestyle the last few years, but I've honestly never viewed anyone unhealthy (whether it be thin, overweight, smoker, major drinker, etc) as anything more than a friend. I have LOTS of super skinny and obese friends. But that's where it ends. But that prejudiced opinion actually gave me the drive to better MYSELF. I figured I had to AT LEAST meet my own standards for people I'd be with. And it's worked. It sounds insensitive and hypocritical but I can't help it.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Thin People compared to Fat People.

:/ I didn't think I was like that though...although it could be that I simply prefer myself to be thinner so I see "thin = good" because I feel that way about myself. :/

ps: I did it on age and on skin color as well...it said I prefer younger people, and prefer darker people.

Hmmm...I think it's hard to tell with the preference. For instance, I prefer darker men but I want to be really pale...
    I am attracted to older men and get along better with older people, but find younger females to be more attractive.

Hmmm...I also think the order that they presented things is a problem. I got confused when they switched everything >_<
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Do I have to keep taking surveys until the fat vs this comes up. It just made me do race and it brings up money next....

my hands hurt
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i did this for xtra credit in social psychology, but i think i chose racism or religion, i can't remember D: i'll take it later when i have more time!

(btw, someone in that class threw a fit about people calling overweight women "real women"- i wanted to go up to her and ask if she thought i was effing imaginary. still makes me angry -_-)
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Yeah when it comes to myself I would really rather be thin.

When it comes to others, I really don't care what they look like, with close family, I may worry about health. But if someones happy they are happy. What I hate is people that moan about being fat, but do nothing to change it. Its a bit like moaning about the government, but not voting.
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Mine said:

Everyday the chance of you climbing a water tower with a rifle increases.

Lmao!!!!!!!!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    (btw, someone in that class threw a fit about people calling overweight women "real women"- i wanted to go up to her and ask if she thought i was effing imaginary. still makes me angry -_-)

Maybe she was tired of her femininity being denigrated because she's thin? I hate the phrase and the whole idea of"real women." Real women have 2 X chromosomes. And sometimes 2 Xs and a Y, some other variations, maybe an X, a Y and a surgery, I don't care. But the saying that "real women have curves," really is and should be taken as an insult to women who are just naturally thin, or have fewer curves because of genetics.They don't have an less intrinsic value as a woman just because they're smaller.
  • mrshickey
    Options
    Ive just started my final year of my social work degree and we have had to do many of these type of things to find out our own prejudices. its a real eye-opener and quite scary. Im overweight, and may people in my family are overweight so i dont think im prejudice, although i do think slim looks nicer (not skinny) and its healthier so it must be better. However when i went to macdonlads the last time (quite a while ago i admit) there was a very very very overweight man who could barely walk, struggling to breathe, who ordered 7 big macs, two fries and a large milkshake, and sat down and ate the lot. that made me feel sick. so maybe i am a little prejudice. everyone is a little bit but noone likes to admit it.