I hate to be the spelling police...

Options
13»

Replies

• SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am an English teacher, aka the "official" English police, and I have discovered, in my vast well of knowledge about the written language, that people are usually imperfect. Wretched human beings. Case in point: some people will fail to correctly pronounce the word "wretched" correctly in their own minds while reading the previous sentence. Others will fail to understand sarcasm in it's base form. Some will see the apostrophe in the word "it's" in the previous sentence* and think I'm a poser, not understanding that I'm writing on an iPad that doesn't know the difference between the two usages, and automatically "corrects" it for me, since I originally left the apostrophe out, and the iPad didn't like that, sentient being that it is.** Still others will not bother to read this far since I wrote more than the standard two sentences. And finally, some people will simply never grasp another's right to rant about grammatical errors without taking desperate and dire offense to said rant.

Rant away, OP, for you have a right to rant just as others have a right to write.

The canine police will be here shortly to loose their loose bowels, to lose their loser dinners, and lick it up afterwards. I hope I didn't lose anyone with my less than lucid lies.

*edit #1, due to being a wretched imperfect human
    **no edit, but that sentence is a terribly crafted one, as it is an offensive run-on-- it had loose bowels of its own.
  • livnlite
    Options
    ...but for the last time it's LOSE weight, not LOOSE!!! Loose is an adjective, not a verb. Loose is the word that describes what your clothes should be after you LOSE! Lol!

I let a lot of things slide but I am getting really sick of seeing that! I know not everyone cares about spelling and grammar, but that is bugging me a lot. That is all, carry on. :-)

Oh come on .. REALLY?

Did you EVER consider that maybe .. just maybe ... there are some members who have joined to be a part of a support group .. but maybe, just maybe .. they are not good spellers .. maybe, just maybe .. because they are not well educated, or maybe, just maybe they have a learning disability .. or something to that effect. My guess is they never joined to be made fun of, or have someone like you criticizing their scholastic shortfalls.

I guess I musta missed the prerequisite for a college edumacation when I joined this forum.

Pffttt! If you are so good with grammar .. How about looking up the word EMPATHY. I'm thinking they never covered that subject in police school.

Sheesh!

So what you're saying is, if somebody makes a mistake, rather than correct them and help them learn, you'd rather just let them go on screwing up? Huh. Personally, I like helping people.

When did criticism become a bad thing? Are we really that wimpy a society now that we can't even take criticism and learn from it? It automatically becomes an evil thing to do to try and better people by pointing out a mistake and trying to help them learn the error of their ways?

And how is English being a second language even an excuse? If I'm writing in German, Spanish, or Japanese and I make a spelling or grammatical error, I damn sure would expect and honestly would want someone to point it out to me. How else am I going to learn, if people don't point out and correct my mistakes?

When did criticism become a bad thing???? I'll tell you when ... When someone says things like " I let a lot of things slide but I am getting really sick of seeing that! " and "that is bugging me a lot" (or the other numerous jabs posters have made on this thread towards the academically challenged). ,,, THAT is not JUST criticism ... THAT did not reference a friendly correction or help someone to remedy their mistake. That was condescending. I can't believe you can't see that.

The only saving grace (in reference to our thread posters ) is they did not reference anyone in particular. THese are general comments about bad spellers.. My response was also in reference to people (in general) who might have poor skills (I am not talking about lazy spellers). We all have flaws of one kind or another and on many levels.

This forum was designed to encourage people to participate not the opposite. People come here to share and learn,,, not to be judged.

If someone is struggling with the English language, I would hope..if you choose to correct their spelling or grammar that you do it discretely so as to not embarrass the heck outta them.

And for the record... I am not a perfect speller either .. I utilize my spell check regularly. Now that might be more of a proactive suggestion rather than trying to make people feel like they shouldn't even bother to post if they can't do it perfectly,
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Great, now I have the "A noun is a person, place or thiiiiiing..." song stuck in my head. Which will then lead into 'Conjunction Junction, what's your function?" followed by "I'm just a Bill.."
    now I'm going to be singing conjunction junction all night lol
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Lol, I've made this spelling mistake enough times :blushing:
    I blame the inconsistency of the English language. After all, choose rhymes with lose but is spelled more like loose, and when you spell it chose, it's past tense put lose goes to lost ... and I'm sure it's not the only one. It's easy to get confused. (Some day I will look up the etymology of lose and loose and chose and see what lead to the inconsistent spelling patterns).

I usually get more irritated with people who say "sale" for "sell," "hungary" for "hungry" and "chute" for "shoot" .... those make me want to make smart___ comments about what they're really saying, lol.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people have some loose weight. Its not tight enough to stay in one area, just kinda slides around their whole body, lol
  • Jcat52643
    Jcat52643 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    my personal favorite is when people type like this without any capitalization or punctuation so i really have no idea where one thought ends and another begins not to mention there is no emphasis on anything and its hard for people to get the message across this way oh and i hate it when people type in ebonics or something i think its harder to type like that than to actually spell out the words id have to think pretty hard about how to spell in that language a quote from no one on this website "one year olda tdy wanna thank god for blessin me wif anoda year of life also wana thank every body for d bday wishes so far love yall"
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....I don't see the point here at all. When i go to write or reply to a post i am thinking more about what i want to say rather than worrying if the spelling is correct! The important thing to remember is that we are all here to receive and give help and obviously posting messages and replys plays a huge part of that. Not everyone can spell correctly or use the correct grammer, in my opinion who cares, as long as i can read the message and understand what the poster is asking or trying to say spelling is the last thing i am concerned about. If incorrect spelling bothers you, oh well...is it really that big a deal? Try to remember that EVERYONE here plays an important role in this community, helping one another get through the hard times, encouragement and support, really people lets look at the big picture here. Since joining MFP i have lost 91 pounds and i am so grateful for everyone that has given me the support and encouragement i needed to continue and incorrect spelling and grammer was not a key factor along my journey. So be kind to one another and lets all continue to support and encourage each other as we all know trying to change ourselves for the better can be a bit of a challenge!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    ok... but just, what HRM should i get? and where can i buy one?? /sarcasm.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options

And should I eat my exercise calories? You meant to ask that as well, or my telepathy fails me.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I think there are bigger things to worry about.:drinker:
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    I need to lose my loose weight! Ha ha.
    Don't forget the fun misuse of their, there and they're..... hehe!
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It annoys me as well but then I just laugh and wonder how people managed to graduate elementary school. I swear text speak is killing the English language.

YES! My 13 year old niece uses "text speak" in her FB updates and it drives in insane!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options

And should I eat my exercise calories? You meant to ask that as well, or my telepathy fails me.

Hahahahaha