Tattoos?

Options
I'm interested in getting a few tattoos, and I would like to hear peoples stories. Like, what places are especially painful and which places aren't as bad? And how much does a small script tattoo cost, or does it vary by artist? Does white ink show up on white skin? Does black ink fade a lot?

Replies

• HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    look up white ink tattoos on tumblr. A lot of them are on white skin. Some of them are just kinda red & swollen.. but I think they look really good.
    Foot tattoos fade a lot and they hurt pretty bad but there's a numbing gel you can get to make tattoos not hurt as bad. My friend got a foot tattoo less than a year ago & she's already had to get it touched up.

edit: tattoo pricing also varies by artist.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have a few tattoos and they hurt, but it was bearable. You almost just go numb in that area after a while. I know a lot of tattoo shops differ in price, but most go by an hourly charge (the place I go is $150/hr). I have two on the back of each of my legs where my achilles tendons are and it hurt pretty bad, but like I said you just go numb after a while. I also have two others that are just black that I've had for a few years and they haven't faded too bad. I also don't think white ink shows up. Hope that helps! :)
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I only have 1 tattoo and I've had it for almost a year and a half now. It's small and it's above my left ankle. It's a dove with the word "peace" just below the dove. Probably about 2 x 3 inches. Yes - it hurt, but not terribly bad.

Mine hasn't faded hardly at all, but of course it's still relatively "new". It is outlined in black and the dove is filled in (though not completely filled in) with a light blue. The filling-in part was probably what hurt the most because the artist has to press hard.

Even though my tat is small, it still cost $80. I believe it does vary by shop and/or artist. I had mine done in Atlanta, GA.
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    i have 16 tattoos and the ones that hurt the most are on the inside of my wrist back of neck and rib cage. i have one on my foot that hasnt faded in 4 + years and didnt hurt at all. prices vary by tattoo shop / artist.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have 2 small stars, one on each wrist on the 'inside' (the palm side?). Folks say 'oh no that must have hurt so much!' but it didn't, not really at all. Felt strange, and very unique. It was painful in one area, there is a part of the star (the top point) that overlaps the little crease that you have right below your palm. While the guy was needling the crease it was pretty painful, but otherwise, not at all.

I got one in 2004, one in 2005. The '04 one is in great shape, I took excellent care of it right after getting it. The newer one though, has some strange scarring because I had no time to take off work, and being on my wrist, and working in fast food... my wrist got dirty and was in sanitizer water and washed over and over and it irritated the tattoo and ended up not as nice as the other one.

They have black outlines, and the black looks great still, 7 years later. I am a pale girl, and I got a yellow star on one hand, the yellow still looks great. The other star is red, and since I mentioned above - the red is a bit faded due to not taking care of it. I don't know about white. There is a gal that sits next to me in a class with a butterfly on her forearm, and I can see there is white in it. She is also a pale lady.

I would say my stars are 1 inch square or less in size, and I got them each for $26. This was 7 years ago, I don't know if prices changed, and each was only 2 color (black + color). The artist told me many prices are based on color, some colors are more expensive than others. Also you could ask for a discount, sometimes new artists are trying hard to get their name out, so they will offer a good deal (I think my stars would have been $50 otherwise, but he was new and wanted the attention)

Overall I wish I didn't have them. Perhaps if they were in an area of skin that is much easier to hide with clothing, I would feel differently. I have been turned down from jobs and even threatened to be fired from one because I have 'offending tattoos' on my wrists. I'm not sure how a colored star is offensive, but it was not something I thought about prior to getting them.
  • trishoida
    Options
    back of the neck is uncomfortable and ankles :sad: Prices vary depending on the metro area and experience of the artists. Look 'em up and their work before you commit, some are awesome but only in the art style they tattoo in! You'll have to get touch ups no matter what color ink you get and white does show up on the palest but I wouldn't get anything substantially white based!
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have one on the inside of my lip and on each foot. The closer the bone, the more it hurts I have found and heard. I didn't even feel my lip tattoo outside of the vibrating.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    i have 16 tattoos and the ones that hurt the most are on the inside of my wrist back of neck and rib cage. i have one on my foot that hasnt faded in 4 + years and didnt hurt at all. prices vary by tattoo shop / artist.

On a scale of one to ten, how badly did the wrist hurt? That's where I want one of mine
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    back of the neck is uncomfortable and ankles :sad: Prices vary depending on the metro area and experience of the artists. Look 'em up and their work before you commit, some are awesome but only in the art style they tattoo in! You'll have to get touch ups no matter what color ink you get and white does show up on the pallets but I wouldn't get anything substantially white based!

I want the words Go Forth in script in white ink on my wrist
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I'm not sure how to explain how it 'hurt'. The only way I can think of is that it is a unique kind of feeling I have had only when I got the tattoos. It sort of stung, almost felt like someone was scraping something sharp across the skin over and over. But it wasn't so much as I would have said 'oh ouch! stop that!' just more of a 'hmm what are you doing' kind of reaction.

I think it might have hurt less because I was expecting it to "HURT SO MUCH!" like everyone pumped me up to believe.. then when it was happening I just thought, oh this isn't really all that bad. Feels weird!
  • KimmehL
    KimmehL Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have some white ink on one of my tattoos and it looks great:) I am very fair skinned. I have a "tramp stamp"...it took about an hour, was $200 and hurt like a mother...but you just kind groove yourself into the pain after a while:)
  • trishoida
    Options
    I would get it outlined in whatever color, they can blend the outline to a light gray, if you don't need to worry about exposure due to work, etc. I wouldn't spend more than 40 for that but I'm in Wisconsin, US.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have mine on my shoulder blade and honestly I cried like a baby when I got it! The outline hurt so bad especially around the bottom edge of the bone. The coloring was okay. It only took about 40 minutes and I don't think I could have taken much more!

291846_914766798038_19714166_42177716_2075911808_n.jpg

Some tattoo artists won't do hands or feet or sometimes wrists because they tend to fade and damage more than other areas. I would think most would do wrists though.

For price, most places go by the hour. My tattoo was a total of 200 with tip and everything and that shop had a $70 minimum. Definitely look for quality over bargain basement prices! Script looks easy but it really isn't so you still need a great artist.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    i have most of my upper back tattooed, it wasn't exactly comfortable but i wouldn't say it hurt, just more of an annoying burning feeling. for white ink it depends on your skin, some people are able to hold it and others aren't. i had some white areas in my tats but my skin just refuses to keep it in, i even got those areas retouched a few times but it always fades away. it's annoying! but everyone is different so you might have better luck. black ink will fade quicker if A) your artist doesn't really know what they are doing and B) the ink is exposed to a lot of sun without the use of sunscreen. prices do vary but most artists have a minimum fee no matter how small/simple the tattoo is, usually around $60-$80.
  • kelsue35
    Options
    the one on my wrist is a stick girl with curly q hair. her feet and the bottom of her dress were about a 3 but her hair was aweful more like a 9. like someone else stated where the crease of your wrist meeting your hand is where it hurts the most. that is where her hair sits. she is about an inch tall so if you go lower like where her feet are its not so bad . im not sure that made sense but if you want you can add me as a friend and i will put a pic of it on my profile
  • sarah44254
    Options
    My friend got a tattoo at the same time as I did, but hers had flames in it. They were curvy. My stars are full of straight lines. She said her tattoo hurt very badly (it was on the forearm, back of the hand side but near the wrist)

Kelsue mentioned her curly q hair hurt, I wonder if the curves hurt more than straight lines?

if so, your words will have curves, so it might be a bit of pain. but tattoos are usually not so bad people can't stand them (sorry to hear about your horse tattoo pain, bmqbonnie!)
  • kelsue35
    Options
    My friend got a tattoo at the same time as I did, but hers had flames in it. They were curvy. My stars are full of straight lines. She said her tattoo hurt very badly (it was on the forearm, back of the hand side but near the wrist)

Kelsue mentioned her curly q hair hurt, I wonder if the curves hurt more than straight lines?

if so, your words will have curves, so it might be a bit of pain. but tattoos are usually not so bad people can't stand them (sorry to hear about your horse tattoo pain, bmqbonnie!)

i have my childrens names on me and the only one that hurt was my daughters which is on the back of my neck. my 3 boys names are on my bicep and they didnt hurt that bad. they are all written in cursive so i dont think the curves are why her hair hurt. i also have hello kitty's head and flowers on me a butterfly a few dragon flies thumper from bambi.. the one on my foot is my sisters first initial and its also cursive and other than being able to hear the tattoo gun i would have never known he was doing it
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have a medium sized black and grey Tigress tattoo on my left shoulder blade (if interested, view it at: http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g421/vegamy/259126_785891684845_24414180_38312480_973770_o1.jpg)

I think it took less than 3 hours and was a lot less painful than I thought it would be, kind of a constant cat scratch kind of feeling (annoying, but not really awful). The shading seemed to hurt the most. It would have cost a couple hundred dollars, but the tattoo artist is my friend's brother and he did it free of charge for me - usually he charges by the hour. It does vary by the artist, but I think the average is $100 - $150. Afterwards, it felt like a sunburn. And so far, it hasn't faded at all, but it's new.

My consideration was that I wanted to get a tattoo in a place that wouldn't really be affected by weight loss.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    I would get it outlined in whatever color, they can blend the outline to a light gray, if you don't need to worry about exposure due to work, etc. I wouldn't spend more than 40 for that but I'm in Wisconsin, US.

The white ink is symbolic though, and if I don't get it in white ink it kind of defeats the purpose :/ and it's less noticable, which is a plus. I'm in Illinois, so it might be a bit more expensive here...

If you want to know why it's symbolic, I used to hurt myself when I was younger. White ink looks like a scar, and the words Go Forth represent moving forward, past the need to self harm.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    i have my childrens names on me and the only one that hurt was my daughters which is on the back of my neck. my 3 boys names are on my bicep and they didnt hurt that bad. they are all written in cursive so i dont think the curves are why her hair hurt. i also have hello kitty's head and flowers on me a butterfly a few dragon flies thumper from bambi.. the one on my foot is my sisters first initial and its also cursive and other than being able to hear the tattoo gun i would have never known he was doing it

my curves theory is busted! :tongue: ok. then I have no more advice about that :)

My tats were done in northeast Ohio, but I'm not sure if different parts of the country have different rates. Ohio and Illinois are 'nearby' haha :laugh: