Options

Replies

• kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    sorry to bust your theory lol.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    i have my childrens names on me and the only one that hurt was my daughters which is on the back of my neck. my 3 boys names are on my bicep and they didnt hurt that bad. they are all written in cursive so i dont think the curves are why her hair hurt. i also have hello kitty's head and flowers on me a butterfly a few dragon flies thumper from bambi.. the one on my foot is my sisters first initial and its also cursive and other than being able to hear the tattoo gun i would have never known he was doing it

my curves theory is busted! :tongue: ok. then I have no more advice about that :)

My tats were done in northeast Ohio, but I'm not sure if different parts of the country have different rates. Ohio and Illinois are 'nearby' haha :laugh:

Yeah, but I live in the Chicago area and EVERYTHING is more expensive when you live near a big city. And I'm not willing to travel 50-60 miles out of my way to get it done, when there are hundreds of tattoo parlors all around where I live, ya know?

I wish I wasn't such a baby about spending money sometimes, haha. Although I guess it's a good thing
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I have 5. The parts that hurt the most were my palm, which hurt like hell and is fading after only 3 years, and on the one I got closest to my wrist. I have a high pain threshhold, though, so I'm probably not the best to ask. Along with the one on my palm and the one that goes from my wrist to my elbow, I have one on my inner fore arm, one on the back of my wrist, and one on my shoulder. I paid $60 for one, $120 for another, and $160 for another. The other two were not done professionally.
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would get it outlined in whatever color, they can blend the outline to a light gray, if you don't need to worry about exposure due to work, etc. I wouldn't spend more than 40 for that but I'm in Wisconsin, US.

The white ink is symbolic though, and if I don't get it in white ink it kind of defeats the purpose :/ and it's less noticable, which is a plus. I'm in Illinois, so it might be a bit more expensive here...

If you want to know why it's symbolic, I used to hurt myself when I was younger. White ink looks like a scar, and the words Go Forth represent moving forward, past the need to self harm.

I love your reasoning for the white ink, I've been there too. And i love white ink tattoos.
  • DCskat3r4lfe
    DCskat3r4lfe Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    tattoos are AWESOME! i love them! and they dont hurt cuz i love pain!!!!!!!! <3
  • mongoosette
    Options
    I have several tattoos, and I have white in a few of them, I have pale white skin. I wouldn't get an all white tattoo, but it does show up and contrasts nicely with the other colors. As for pain, the closer you are to bone and nerves, the more it hurts. I like to take a muscle relaxer before a session as it helps keep you from tensing up. I have a sleeve and any area around or on a joint is pretty painful. On the other hand, the meaty part of your arm (bicep, tricep) is not so bad, hope that helps. As for price, it will depend on where you live and what the going rate is in your area. I live in Memphis, TN and the price is generally between $100-$150 per hour. Larger pieces generally come with a bit of a price break, especially if the artist likes what you are having done and is enjoying working on it. For instance, I've had several 3-4 hour sessions where the artist only charged me for two hours. On the other hand if you get something small, be prepared to pay for an hour even if it only takes ten minutes. The artist went to the trouble to prepare for your appointment, make needles, sanitize equipment, etc. etc., and it takes just as long to do that for a ten minute tattoo as it does for a 4 hour tattoo. Another suggestion, find an artist whose work you admire, talk to them about what you want and listen to what they have to say. Not everything looks good as a tattoo, and they have a lot more experience and will know what will look good as a tattoo better than you will. You don't want an artist who will tattoo you the day you go in the shop, its not a good sign. Remember, this will be on you the rest of your life, don't be hasty. If you put some thought into it and do your homework , it will be artwork that you can enjoy the rest of your life. If you rush into it, it could very well be a constant reminder of a very bad mistake. Also, be warned...they are addictive : ) Good luck!
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    I have a sleeve, knuckle tattoo, calves. I have a lot. Haha. It varies by location how much, what shop, etc. My shop isn't super into pure white tattoos, or any colour besides black. I have script that's 5 letters -" we were born for this." It's 2 inches x 5 inches. It was 100. Everyone's pain tolerance is different. My knuckle, back of thighs and forearm hurt the worst. I feel asleep while getting my calves, and part of my back done.

I have never paid more than $200 for a tattoo.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You can try to just walk in, explain what you want done, then finish it up with "and I will pay up to 40 bucks, no more" or whatever price you feel reasonable.

they turn you down? try a new salon :)
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You can try to just walk in, explain what you want done, then finish it up with "and I will pay up to 40 bucks, no more" or whatever price you feel reasonable.

That seems like a terrible idea. Artists will often price according to their skill and knocking down their price is pretty insulting. You could well end up with an awful tattoo. Do shop around, but for a great artist with a clean and professional studio. Then sort out a price and just keep saving.
  • jersgirl060606
    jersgirl060606 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ankle hurt
  • DCskat3r4lfe
    Options
    they dont hurt.. suck it up. its worth it in the end!.. 1 hr worth of a lifetime of art on your body! <3
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

That seems like a terrible idea. Artists will often price according to their skill and knocking down their price is pretty insulting. You could well end up with an awful tattoo. Do shop around, but for a great artist with a clean and professional studio. Then sort out a price and just keep saving.

news to me! the ones where I shopped all mentioned price by color / hour. thanks for the info!
  • DCskat3r4lfe
    Options

news to me! the ones where I shopped all mentioned price by color / hour. thanks for the info!

artists dont charge by their work.. they charge by the size location and how long it will take as well as color. they dont charge by their skill.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options

artists dont charge by their work.. they charge by the size location and how long it will take as well as color. they dont charge by their skill.

If that were the case, you could go to any tattoo studio and be quoted nearly the same price for the same tattoo. That's not how it goes, obviously.
  • kimmy98
    Options
    hi ive got 2 and the top of my thigh at the front i didnt even feel it i wouldnt recommened the collar bone as my oldet boys swelled,the back is gd but you dont see it as much,i do love them though and think they look gd but decide first what you want
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

If that were the case, you could go to any tattoo studio and be quoted nearly the same price for the same tattoo. That's not how it goes, obviously.

Yeah, from my experience, it's based on both their skill level and the size of the tattoo. The better artists tend to start out at a better base price.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    back of the neck is uncomfortable and ankles :sad: Prices vary depending on the metro area and experience of the artists. Look 'em up and their work before you commit, some are awesome but only in the art style they tattoo in! You'll have to get touch ups no matter what color ink you get and white does show up on the pallets but I wouldn't get anything substantially white based!

I want the words Go Forth in script in white ink on my wrist

I have 9 tattoos and none of them really hurt. I have one on my wrist it took like 20 mins and it was done. Most of mine are black and they havent faded that much. Make sure you dont get an artist that pushes down to hard. A friend of mine got one and he pushed down so hard that her whole tat was a raised scar.

Cost normally varies.

Just do some homework on your artist or ask someone that has one that you like where they got it. Personal referals i trust more then google.
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    I have 13. Pretty much my whole back is covered, both calves, hips, and wrists. Pain varies per spot and person. No place or person is the same. I've always found the shading easier then the outline. My most painful was the "tramp stamp" and lower middle back, then my wirsts I started gettin ink almost 10 yrs ago and my oldest still look as good as my newest. It's all about how you take care of them. And all tattoo artist/shops charge differently. I know my artist back in Cali "charges" $125 an hour, but not 4 me, lol. Some places do by the piece, others by the hour. Good luck on your choice. It's only a little bit of pain 4 a lifetime of beauty I say.
  • trishoida
    Options
    I would get it outlined in whatever color, they can blend the outline to a light gray, if you don't need to worry about exposure due to work, etc. I wouldn't spend more than 40 for that but I'm in Wisconsin, US.

The white ink is symbolic though, and if I don't get it in white ink it kind of defeats the purpose :/ and it's less noticable, which is a plus. I'm in Illinois, so it might be a bit more expensive here...

If you want to know why it's symbolic, I used to hurt myself when I was younger. White ink looks like a scar, and the words Go Forth represent moving forward, past the need to self harm.

I use to hurt myself too and my scars are a pale pink white but that might be because of my olive skin tone. I like the message. My friend from Chicago actually comes up to Green Bay, WI to get her tattoos because the artist is very talented and reasonably priced. The parlor is called Skinny Buddha.
  • adventuring
    Options
    I have mine on my shoulder blade and honestly I cried like a baby when I got it! The outline hurt so bad especially around the bottom edge of the bone. The coloring was okay. It only took about 40 minutes and I don't think I could have taken much more!

291846_914766798038_19714166_42177716_2075911808_n.jpg

Some tattoo artists won't do hands or feet or sometimes wrists because they tend to fade and damage more than other areas. I would think most would do wrists though.

For price, most places go by the hour. My tattoo was a total of 200 with tip and everything and that shop had a $70 minimum. Definitely look for quality over bargain basement prices! Script looks easy but it really isn't so you still need a great artist.

That is really, really beautiful.