Near or post menopausal group

Options

Replies

• rdvincent
    Options
    I have found my people! I am 47 and the mother of 3 grown boys and 2 younger, boy 8 and girl 3, I am trying to get healthy so I can raise these last 2, but weight loss in difficult especially when I go on my period every 3 weeks! so annoying. and lets face it, younger woman cannot understand the frustration of menopause! I feel like I came home!!!
    friend me!
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I keep reading. This has become one of the first places I check in the morning. I go to my physician in October/November. I will try to address some of these topics with him. I will also see what he has to say about me personally (obviously). I love the fact we can be honest here. Thanks for this site and to its originator and contributors.
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I'm 44 and pre-menopausal. Over the last year I've been getting my TOM very irregularly and sometimes it comes with a really heavy flow, other times hardly anything at all. I've struggled with my weight my entire adult life but lately it has become harder to lose the weight than ever before. Since joining MFP I've been more aware of my calories and I'm maintaining an exercise program. But I really need motivation because I tend to get discouraged when I don't see the scale move and I feel like I am working sooo hard. Any tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and very cranky today, because I'm starting my period and have both cramps AND hot flashes. A couple of years ago, I didn't know you could have both at the same time - I always figured hot flashes were a post-period thing or something. So many new changes each day! :)
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was all set to start eating soy, but I read some research reports and the evidence that it helps is not very strong. *sigh*
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    @debbie You story is such a strong one. You have been through so much at such a young age. Yes, you are still young. I hope you can find support here and some additional happiness. Friend all of those who touch you and read their posts for inspiration.

I know we can all help each other.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Debbie, my husband died of brain tumours 3 years ago, so I know some of what you went through. I'm peri-menopausal, and hardly recognise the shape I have become, a real spare tire is attached around my waist (or that vicinity).

I lost a ton of weight 2 years ago, but last year when my son was diagnosed with secondary cancer, I went back to old habits, without any family support, trying to care for him and my daughter in her final year of school, working full-time.

Sheesh, well now in my 51st year, I'm ready to be thin again, but the hormones are making me crazy!!!

*hugs* to all of you.

GG
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've been hot flashing for the past 11 years. I'm hoping that losing weight helps do away with the hot flashes. I am so tired of being hot and sweaty all the time.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How do we find out how to start a group? I am not sure where I am- possibly peri because I have spells where I'm constantly having hot flashes, night sweats, sadness, mood swings etc. - but then I will have a few months with nothing. I had a hysterectomy a few years ago but ovaries were left. I also have metabolic syndrome (syndrome X) so between that and menopause it seems impossible to lose weight. It would be great to have a group of people who suffer from the same issues. I might just go through and add all of you to my friend list!
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts so much. Flashes day and night, insomnia and all the rest: the story of my life! Sometimes I just find myself at my wits end. And doctors aren't all that knowledgeable on this topic either, so most of the
    time I just go by trial and error to find what works....a lot of errors. :S

I've been heavy ever since I can remember (most of my family are "large", "sturdy", "strong" people too) so dieting has been a way of life but never a success. Menopause hasn't helped any so I decided that something drastic was needed. Bread had to go. Wow, that was painful. There is just no substitute for bread. But I find that my system seems to operate a bit more efficiently without bread. Maybe that would work for some others, too.

I had knee surgery 5 years ago which did correct an emergency situation, but the consequences are that some exercise just isn't possible for me. No running or jumping or twisting. I stick with walking and swimming because those are sustainable in the long run. I hope the combination of low-carb eating and regular but not extreme exercise will keep me on the trail to good health. Ideally, I'd love to have a slimmer body, though I'm not sure if my mind would ever catch up with that. It has been so used to seeing a fat person in the mirror . . .

Anyhow, I saw two great phrases here on MFP that I try to keep in mind as I go:

1. No matter how slow you think you are going, you are still faster than anyone who is still sitting on the sofa.

2. Only dead fish go with the flow.

Slowly but surely I hope to MAKE the flow go in the direction that I need it to go. Let's help one another to do the same. :-)
  • Merrinoel
    Merrinoel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pugs4eyes
    pugs4eyes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Right in the middle of it. Taking hormones and feeling better now.
  • StaceyB2010
    StaceyB2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am grinning ear to ear reading all of these posts. Thank goodness we can all relate and share and not feel like: a) total weight loss failures and b) stuck without hope.

If we do form a group, that would be so wonderful. I am 46 and have been in full blown menopause for years. On top of that, I quit smoking two years ago and packed on nearly 20 lbs. Then, my father became very ill with metastatic prostate cancer and passed away a year ago followed by my mother who died very suddenly this spring.

Thank goodness for fitness trainers and our employee gym and co-workers who were ready to begin their fitness journeys! It has probably saved my sanity but I'm not seeing much weight come off. It could be due to the fact that I'm awake until 4am three or more nights each week with terrible insomnia that is usually preceeded by nightly free-floating anxiety the likes of which I have never known (it always comes over me suddenly around 8:30 every night), a raging sweet tooth, and work stress that's off the charts. It's possible those things are contributing to my lack of weight loss but I suspect lower metabolism. I work out most days -- either weight training, circuit training, treadmill/bike, walking a few miles and try to burn at least 200 calories minimum. My calorie intake is pretty close to net 1200. Still, the weight persists.

Ah yes, the joys of menopause! They even made a hit musical about it! I'm glad we have a place to share our weight/fitness hurdles with so many in the same bloated, irritable, sad then happy moments later, boat. : ) Thanks ladies!

Let's keep journeying together.
  • JaneP2011
    JaneP2011 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Such a great thread - I don't think we need to do anything formal to start the group. If we just keep posting here when we feel like we want support - or have some tips to share with others - then it'll just keep rolling.

I was thinking that as well as our physical peri/post menopausal symptoms, many of us are at a stage of life when we have to deal with really big life transitions: our parents passing, a divorce, or children leaving home - all of these things can increase our tendency to be anxious and depressed. And those feelings, in turn, get magnified because of our menopausal symptoms. And we all know that stress of any kind makes weight loss more difficult!

But maybe it would be good for us all to just share our thoughts about these more general mid-life issues, even if they aren't directly related to weight loss? I don't know about you guys, but I don't have that many female friends that I can share these experiences with directly. And this seems like a safe and supportive environment for us to engage with each other in a non-judgemental way.

Debs6 - thank you so much for starting the debate. I lost my mom to ovarian cancer 3 months ago - not the same as a brain tumour I know, but I can appreciate the strain that the illness can put on the carer as well as intense loss when they finally pass ...

Good wishes to all you lovely ladies :flowerforyou:
  • Scherri
    Options
    Bump
  • pkotterman
    pkotterman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'd LOVE to be in! I am 54- and just passed through menopause almost a year ago- but I still have minor hot flashes and losing weight has been really difficult. I take oral hormones and a patch because they were so severe I could hardly sleep, but now I am beginning to wonder if they don't hinder my metabolism and weight loss efforts. Next appointment is coming up and I am going to explore getting off the hormones to see if it makes a difference. My problem is really slow weight loss, and then a rapid recurrence if I let up at all- so I am really trying to create a whole new eating and exercising lifestyle- motivation and support will be great!
  • Scherri
    Options
    I would love to be in also. I am 50 years old and just starting peri-menopause. I have been working on maintaining my weight for a year now, and do not want to gain any of it back. It is so much harder to lose and maintain as we get older.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 now. I am most definitely peri-menopausal. For the past 6 or 7 years I've had night sweats and hot flashes. My periods have been extremely heavy. So have had to use pads and tampons at the same time. I haven't had TOM in 4 months now. But hot flashes are much worse and seem to come like waves. I have been obese for many many years, and am more than a bit discouraged to hear that weight loss is more difficult at this stage of life. No matter, I'll just have to do it anyway. Feel free to add me as a friend. We can all use all the support and information we can get.:smile:
  • mita2161
    Options
    Im sooo glad I seen this group. Others that understand is wonderful. Im 38 and I actually started peri 2 years ago. No one including myself understood why I was losing my hair, hot flashes, mood swings like a crazy woman. etc etc etc. A friend of minne said that I was in peri and to get my hormones tested. My doctor kept saying I was too young but I insisted he do the bloodwork. Well low and behold my hormones were extremley low. I went on hormones and have been great ever since. I also had a hysterectomy last year. I have gained weight over the last few years that is having a hard time coming off. I know it will but its frustrating. Add me as a friend also we can all use support.
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When we were discussing peri menopause, my doctor asked me if I was itchy at all. I said I get itchy on my shins. I forgot to tell her that sometimes, especially at night, I get itchy all over, and red bumps, like a histamine reaction. I generally have to take an antihistamine and then it settles down.

Does anyone else get that?