Near or post menopausal group

Options

Replies

• debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Vizamy - I have not had an issue with red spots - but during peri menopause I was constantly complaining of being itchy especially at night. I put it down to two things- first being my skin drying out like dusty parchment and the other being the hot flushes that caused me to be hot over and over during the nights. I jokingly said to my daughters that I had suddenly understood the first testament story about Lot's wife who turned into a pillar of salt when she looked back. In my mind she was clearly peri menopausal........at last I understood!!

It has been really interesting reading what people have written and thanks for the personal support offered by some regarding the loss of my husband. It is honestly the hardest journey I have been on in my whole life- but knowing that others make it through keeps me going.

Like Jane mentioned, I don't think it is too necessary to form a separate group- we already have the benefits of that as we are if we post here regarding issues and challenges specific to our our menopausal status.

We have already gathered together a wonderful group of women :) All we need to do is keep on supporting one another!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Such a great thread - I don't think we need to do anything formal to start the group. If we just keep posting here when we feel like we want support - or have some tips to share with others - then it'll just keep rolling.

I was thinking that as well as our physical peri/post menopausal symptoms, many of us are at a stage of life when we have to deal with really big life transitions: our parents passing, a divorce, or children leaving home - all of these things can increase our tendency to be anxious and depressed. And those feelings, in turn, get magnified because of our menopausal symptoms. And we all know that stress of any kind makes weight loss more difficult!

But maybe it would be good for us all to just share our thoughts about these more general mid-life issues, even if they aren't directly related to weight loss? I don't know about you guys, but I don't have that many female friends that I can share these experiences with directly. And this seems like a safe and supportive environment for us to engage with each other in a non-judgemental way.

Debs6 - thank you so much for starting the debate. I lost my mom to ovarian cancer 3 months ago - not the same as a brain tumour I know, but I can appreciate the strain that the illness can put on the carer as well as intense loss when they finally pass ...

Good wishes to all you lovely ladies :flowerforyou:

^
    You are so right! Not only are our bodies going through changes but there are many life changes going on as well. We are dealing with aging parents and empty nests. And I too have had 2 significant losses in the last year and a half. My Dad passed away after a long battle with cancer and my sister passed away of heart failure at the young age of 59 this past new years day. It was devastating:(

But knowing there are so many ladies out there dealing with all these same issues makes you feel stronger!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    On a completely different note - have any of you ladies noticed that your er umm sex drive isn't quite what it used to be? I'm in a very happy loving relationship! But somedays it seems I've lost me mojo (as Austin Powers would say).

Hoping that once my hormones quit going bonkers I'll be back to be more frisky!

Thoughts ladies???
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Such a great thread - I don't think we need to do anything formal to start the group. If we just keep posting here when we feel like we want support - or have some tips to share with others - then it'll just keep rolling.

I was thinking that as well as our physical peri/post menopausal symptoms, many of us are at a stage of life when we have to deal with really big life transitions: our parents passing, a divorce, or children leaving home - all of these things can increase our tendency to be anxious and depressed. And those feelings, in turn, get magnified because of our menopausal symptoms. And we all know that stress of any kind makes weight loss more difficult!

But maybe it would be good for us all to just share our thoughts about these more general mid-life issues, even if they aren't directly related to weight loss? I don't know about you guys, but I don't have that many female friends that I can share these experiences with directly. And this seems like a safe and supportive environment for us to engage with each other in a non-judgemental way.

Debs6 - thank you so much for starting the debate. I lost my mom to ovarian cancer 3 months ago - not the same as a brain tumour I know, but I can appreciate the strain that the illness can put on the carer as well as intense loss when they finally pass ...

Good wishes to all you lovely ladies :flowerforyou:

Will that cute kitty be joining us?! She seems to have issues as wll! LOL!

I am 51 and a 5 year survivor of thyroid cancer! I never had any weight issues, until the thyroid hell started. I'm sure the menopause stuff isn't helping either. I had my last period about a year and a half ago, but the hot flashes are kicking my butt! I don't know if losing weight will help those or not, but it's worth a try. I am also worried that if I don't do something I will have more and more issues with knee and foot pain. I am 5'4" and I currently weigh 149. That's not terrible, but not all that great for me either! I always weighed about 120ish, most of my adult life and then along came the 40s and the thyroid crap! I would love to join in a group with all you other ladies!!
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dear MP friends,

I just saw another great motto on someone else's post. I thought it would be particularly helpful in our group:

Finishing last is better than never finishing. Never finishing is better than never starting.

On Sierra Club hikes there is always someone called "the sweep" whose job it is to stay at the back of the pack to support those who are feeling weary before the end of the trail. So you see, being last is not altogether a bad thing! As my mother used to say, 'someone has to be last, and if you were doing YOUR best and were the last one, then that's great.' I don't think we should mesure ourselves according to what someone else is able to do. Let's just get started doing our OWN best and
    see where it can take us. :flowerforyou:
  • RunnerPrincess
    Options
    Wow, Im in! I had a total hysterectomy at 30 (Im 37 now) Menopause brings its own set of issues, doesn't it?
    I gained 55 lbs over a few years time and have currently lost 45 lbs. (whew) The weight does come off with a bit of work. I PROMISE!
    ****Am I the youngest one here??? I have never met someone, the same age as I am, in menoupause :cry:
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Just because we are friends: This is my favorite week of the year. My children are all consecutive ages for one week. Today my youngest turned 23. So that makes them 23,24,25, and 26. On September 30, my daughter ages to 27; that ruins the streak.

I think 4 kids in 4 years definitely had an effect on my body. I am determined though. I will exercise each day and try to overcome any genetic obstacles that get in the way of me aging graciously. If it is in the genes; those jeans better be a smaller size.
  • lorimur
    Options
    Similar ages but I stopped after two...managed a girl and a boy so thought best to leave it at that.!

My son is 27 and my daughter 28....until Sept 24th when my daughter turns 29....yikes...where have the years gone ?
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    Posting so I can find this later :wink:
  • lorimur
    Options
    General question...

I consider myself to have been very lucky with menopause symptoms - and it is really only in the last year that I noticed the weight creeping up and being unable to lose it with a week or two of watching my diet.

I had been taking soya tablets for the first 18 months as I thought they were all natural and so couldn't hurt....stopped taking them over a year ago when I read some of the articles which gave a different viewpoint and the potentially negative side affects.

Am not currently taking any type of medication - natural or otherwise at the moment - and up until about 3 months ago I have to admit that if i did have a hot flush it was not even once a day and two minutes later it was fine.

I have noticed over the last few weeks though that they seem to be either increasing in frequency or just getting stronger so that a couple of times now I have actually had to go to the bathroom to dry off...they seem worse early evening just after eating....

Anyone got any words of wisdom as to why this may be happening...is it just another phase of menopause...and finally...any natural remedies that might assist combat them ?
  • Kickinthehabit
    Options
    Bump
  • RunnerPrincess
    Options

I have noticed over the last few weeks though that they seem to be either increasing in frequency or just getting stronger so that a couple of times now I have actually had to go to the bathroom to dry off...they seem worse early evening just after eating....

Anyone got any words of wisdom as to why this may be happening...is it just another phase of menopause...and finally...any natural remedies that might assist combat them ?

I've experienced the same thing. I notice I have a period of time where Im "Hot-Flash-Free" and then I go through a time of CRAZY Hot-Flashes. I've (personally) come to two conclusions
    #1 I always have an increase in Hot-Flashes when I am eating too many sugars (or "Bad-Carbs) Not sure why? But as soon as I clean up my eating (*sigh*) I notice a drastic difference
    #2 I simply HAVE to be on some kind of hormone replacement. I've tried all kinds of "Natural" HRT With no luck. I'm currently on a very low dose HRT.
    ** I do think those pesky hormones are all over the place for quite a few years. I can tell you that it was about 6 yrs into menopause before I noticed that things were pretty much the same all the time . Sorry I couldnt be more help with "natural" remedies. I just wanted you to know you arent alone! :happy:
  • kimiel51
    Options
    Good Friday everyone! I hope we can keep this thread going! We are going out for a steak dinner tonight and I have already been researching the menu. I have lost 2 pounds this week and I don't want to ruin it tonight in one sitting! LOL! Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • pkotterman
    pkotterman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great inspiration! I am 54 and have a really similar story- though I have slowly been gaining weight for about 7 years- I went from 130 to 160! I had never weighed that much in my life! I don't run- but I love to hike and walk- and have done a couple of half marathons- I have one coming up in January and I want to break my walking time from 2 years ago- the last time I did one. This sight has really helped to keep me focused, and though I have only been using it for 10 days I can really see the difference in my attitude and motivation. The metabolism slow down with menopause can also make a person really tired and lethargic- and finding ways to exercise and stick with a schedule-and pay attention to the right calorie burn, makes a huge difference.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and have had various peri-symptoms for a few years now. Night sweats, hot flashes, insomnia, mood swings. Over the last year my TOM has been erratic, REALLY heavy one month and light the next, skip some occassionally. Most symptoms I've just accepted. But the weight issue is beyond frustrating. A few years ago I lost a lot of weight and then hit a two year plateau! Didn't matter if I ate 300 calories a day or 3000. Nothing moved! After I while I got frustrated, then life piled a ton of stress on me and I started gaining weight again. I gained back 20 of the 85 I had lost. Just counting calories isn't working for me and I exercise a lot. I read an earlier post that suggested that as we go into menopause our bodies can't process carbs the same as we used to. I'm going to do some research and try that. I'm not a beleive in low-carb diets but I am desperate at this point.

Tess
  • JaneP2011
    JaneP2011 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I am 51 and a 5 year survivor of thyroid cancer! I never had any weight issues, until the thyroid hell started. I'm sure the menopause stuff isn't helping either. I had my last period about a year and a half ago, but the hot flashes are kicking my butt! I don't know if losing weight will help those or not, but it's worth a try. I am also worried that if I don't do something I will have more and more issues with knee and foot pain. I am 5'4" and I currently weigh 149. That's not terrible, but not all that great for me either! I always weighed about 120ish, most of my adult life and then along came the 40s and the thyroid crap! I would love to join in a group with all you other ladies!!

She's something else isn't she?! She's just my cyber kitty though - I found her while googling and she reminded me of what I look like when I sit down! I'm also not very overweight but really don't like the extra 20lbs I've been carrying around since hitting my 40s :ohwell:
  • xo_jewel_xo
    xo_jewel_xo Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    First off, thanks to lizziebeth for finding me and pointing me in the right direction!

I am 46 now and have had irregular periods for a few years now. When they come they are so heavy that i have to use a super plus tampon and pad, and change every 3-4 hours! My GP sent me for an ultrasound and we founds some cysts on my ovaries which he wants to monitor, he is not concerned at this point. He gave me progesterone (sp?) to take when my next cycle starts (tapping my fingers, cuz it's been a while)

According to my trusty at home scale I have gained 21 lbs since the beginning of the year and have been "maintaining" at around 220-224 for the last month or so. Now I know that I have not been taking good care of myself for the past year, but seriusly 21 lbs since the new year?! It seems excessive.
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i am in if you start a group
  • duramater27
    duramater27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hating to admit it, but am peri -- trouble sleeping, anxiety getting off the charts, weight gain creeping up, and now periods getting a little funky (slightly irregular and heavier). dang.

Combo that with a sedentary gig, and disaster. Am 5'2", feel comfy around 115lbs but have crept up to 133 and feel lousy (i'm 47).

So, started tracking calories here at MFP two weeks and started doing the 30 day shred and anything else I can pull off at home (frugal and no discipline!). Am 129 lbs today but its a long road to keep this up AND come to terms with the peri.

thanks!
  • kimiel51
    Options

She's something else isn't she?! She's just my cyber kitty though - I found her while googling and she reminded me of what I look like when I sit down! I'm also not very overweight but really don't like the extra 20lbs I've been carrying around since hitting my 40s :ohwell:

Aww..she is really cute! I hear ya on the extra 20 lbs. That's about what I would be happy getting rid of! The 40s did a number on me too!!