Why do people argue so much?

Options
Why does anyone care how others lose weight?

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The same reason they care so much about how you get to heaven, i guess.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    because they want to make sure it is done in a healthy manner, so people don't get sick or die.
  • zoodalia
    Options
    I agree, people get so involved in other peoples' business... everyone is entitled to lose weight however they want!
  • SheriRuth
    SheriRuth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The same reason they care so much about how you get to heaven, i guess.

:word:

"Because if YOU are wrong that means *I* am right" mentality.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    because they want to make sure it is done in a healthy manner, so people don't get sick or die.

Do you think people actually care that much about total strangers? Or is it more about the desperate desire to be right to validate their own actions?
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If nobody cared about each other it would be a sad sad world
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Some people do it because of this. Others just like to feel clever.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Because we all know better than everyone else...and of course because I am the smartest of all and know everything about everything!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

Do you think people actually care that much about total strangers? Or is it more about the desperate desire to be right to validate their own actions?

that is a good question and I cannot answer for anyone, but myself. I would like to THINK that it is that people genuinely care, but I can see how at least a small part would be to show their "smarts" on a topic.
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    However there is a difference between caring (using kind considerate type of communication) and being condesending or mean. And I have seen the words on MFP that mirror the later...caring does not mean judging or being critical, ecspecially in a negative tone.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    because im right and your wrong :tongue:
  • sarahsmom1
    Options

people do all kinds of thing for people they dont know its called compassion We help free people who are starving, during disasters, no fresh water people send best wishes when your down I don't think its just because people want to type their are people who are natural nurturers
  • djdeth
    Options

They probably don't care. It is all about putting people down for their accomplishments. That way we don't have to analyze what we are doing wrong. Basic human nature, and bad nature at that.
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options

This. Some of the arguments on the forum are much more about some people proving themselves right than really caring about other people who, let's face it, are total strangers.

Some people do genuinely care, but by no means all of them - and some of the negative attitudes and aggressively toned comments we can see every day on the forums attest to that.

I care about the people on my friends list because I've got to know them a bit, but mostly I care about how I lose weight *and* I don't give unsolicited advice or opinions. In fact, often I won't give an opinion even if asked. My granny always said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." This is one of the maxims by which I live.

I also live by the maxim that you can never be friends with someone who has seen you naked, but that's a whole other forum post...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

I'm thinking I may change my view... the heard needs thinning anyway.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options

I generally don't speak up unless I think it is important and because I DO CARE! that is why I do what I do. I wan to help when I can. I don't know it all but I Ideas. Also If people don't want others opinions don't post complaints or questions when it comes to weight loss. Then they won't have to worry about other peoples thoughts and opinions
  • sarahsmom1
    Options
    Because we all know better than everyone else...and of course because I am the smartest of all and know everything about everything!
    nope my sister knows everything about everything in the whole entire world
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Because we are hungry.
  • sarahsmom1
    Options

I generally don't speak up unless I think it is important and because I DO CARE! that is why I do what I do. I wan to help when I can. I don't know it all but I Ideas. Also If people don't want others opinions don't post complaints or questions when it comes to weight loss. Then they won't have to worry about other peoples thoughts and opinions
    Agree and dont show your diary
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Why is it people have to strike out at those who have accomplished? What drives this human nature? Insecurity? It has happened in my work environment, not just the weight loss board.