Controversial question.

Options
13»

Replies

• winpens
    winpens Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the rest of the comments but as a principle the government should not be allowed to regulate every harmful thing on the planet. That being said, they already do regulate tobacco. If they ban tobacco then they should ban diet pills, tanning beds, alcohol, etc... you get my point. Basically in my opinion the government needs to back off.

Should they ban the use or commerce involving asbestos,lead and PCBs?...... or should they be allowed?

They should not ban it.....however the companies that profit should cover the cost of the related health care costs.....if that happened there would be no need to ban it....no one would sell it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Banning the sale of tobacco will not eliminate cigarettes any more than banning marijuana has eliminated pot. It will just give the Mexican cartels another leg up on American law enforcement, not to mention giving the U.S. government yet another foothold in controlling absolutely everything we do in our private lives. Same goes for banning tobacco companies from making a profit. They'd go out of business, and smokers would get their cigs on the black market from sellers who have no vested interest in complying with regulations on safety, advertising, distribution, etc.

I have a dream that one day Americans will grow the hell up and take responsibility for their own decisions instead of running to the government and screeching for them to ban every stupid behavior in which we freely choose to engage.

Edit: For the record, no, I do not smoke. Never have, never will. My dad smokes religiously, and I have lost multiple relatives to smoking-related cancers. If my dad suffers the same fate, it will be entirely his fault, not the fault of the company that made the cigarettes he chose to buy and smoke for most of his life.
  • winpens
    winpens Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Banning the sale of tobacco will not eliminate cigarettes any more than banning marijuana has eliminated pot. It will just give the Mexican cartels another leg up on American law enforcement, not to mention giving the U.S. government yet another foothold in controlling absolutely everything we do in our private lives. Same goes for banning tobacco companies from making a profit. They'd go out of business, and smokers would get their cigs on the black market from sellers who have no vested interest in complying with regulations on safety, advertising, distribution, etc.

I have a dream that one day Americans will grow the hell up and take responsibility for their own decisions instead of running to the government and screeching for them to ban every stupid behavior in which we freely choose to engage.

Edit: For the record, no, I do not smoke. Never have, never will. My dad smokes religiously, and I have lost multiple relatives to smoking-related cancers. If my dad suffers the same fate, it will be entirely his fault, not the fault of the company that made the cigarettes he chose to buy and smoke for most of his life.

Agreed banning is wrong.

Disagree that the government should stay out.....regulation on something that is a known cancer causing product is essential.

Disagree that it is completely your dad's fault if he was to suffer a smoking related illness .....manufacturers have admitted to manipulating tobacco to create addiction.....some are addicted and can't quit....most smokers when asked will tell you they would rather not smoke....so why do they?....it is tough to quit....me i did it cold turkey and i am glad i did.....