5'9" 115 pounds

Options

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about a goal weight right now. I would personally just focus on strengthening your muscles. When you do weight training in a calorie deficit, you will lose body fat...but since you are small already, don't make your deficit large at all. I would personally stick with around 200 or so cals. under maintenance AT MOST for your deficit. I think that once you see muscle definition from the removal of body fat, you won't want to get "smaller" anymore. Perhaps you are thinking you need to lose so much because you have a high body fat %? But once again, my recommendation would still be the same. You may lose some pounds, but once you go to maintenance or try building muscle you may gain on the scale even though your body comp. gets leaner.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    wow! so many responses! thank you everyone... I think maybe i will change my goal to 125 and build muscle instead?

That's a great outlook. Hope you don't let the message boards put you off the site... people aren't always the nicest on here. Building muscle is going to give you a whole new look (not that there's anything wrong with you now), and I think you'll be really happy you did. :smile:
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    wow! so many responses! thank you everyone... I think maybe i will change my goal to 125 and build muscle instead?

Honestly, why do you want to lose? Do you think you need to lose? It looks like you have a great body, I think your weight goal should be to maintain, put on a bit of muscle and if you gain 5-10 pounds, so be it!
  • emma_runs_amok
    Options
    Hey Darlin,

I don't mean to just restate what people have said, but 115 lbs does sound low for someone so tall. I am 5'2'' and have a TINY frame (small shoulders, no boobs, etc) and my minimum would be around 115.

What I do suggest is Pure Barre! Have you heard of it? I just started doing it a month ago now.. its a combination of yoga, ballet and pilates. I'm not sure how athletic you are but let me assure you... I have no balance, I'd never danced before, I'm not flexible and I am overall not athletic. Pure Barre kicks your BUTT, but everyone is really encouraging. Being as young as we are (or at least I am and you seem to be from your picture) having a full body crazy work out like that really makes your body tighten all over. The first 3 weeks I did it I didn't actually loose weight but I did go down a dress size. You should check out if there's any studios in your area.

So basically, I understand loving low numbers, I really do. But through my weight loss I realized what's more important is truly feeling good and healthy. Good luck to you!!
  • Beachbabe90xo
    Options
    i've just gained 10 pounds this year. i've always been really skinny. so i just feel gross now :(
  • SlwNStdy
    Options
    Hey, everyone! I am new to this site. I am 5'9", and I weigh 130 as of this morning. I want to lose 15 pounds! Any tips?

xoxo :) thanks!

dont recomend u losing... i recommend toning where you are now. i honestly believe 115 will be too thin for your height
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options

Much better plan - in fact, don't lose anything, just hit the weights - from your picture, you are already in fantastic shape, maybe even a little too thin already (I'd kill for a waist like yours :-) ), and I think a little muscle and definition would really give you a look you would be happy with (and be healthy too).
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I also just wanted to add that the website someone posted about "ideal body weight" takes only BMI into account and not body fat. When you start to build muscle and reduce your body fat % level, you may find the chart misleading as many others have. But if you aren't intending to go that route, then it's OK to use.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Great plan - muscle is the way forward, else you'll reach your goal weight and still not LOOK the way you want. Check out this site http://body-improvements.com the nutrition explanations are awesome and great advice.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Edited by moderator

But really... that's not even a close to healthy idea! Hopefully you just meant you want to tone, build some muscle or something along those lines. I'm afraid too many people associate body image with a number. So untrue. And unhealthy.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    i've just gained 10 pounds this year. i've always been really skinny. so i just feel gross now :(

I can understand that, it's happened to most of us:grumble: But, I think a much healthier approach is to just watch what you're eating (not necessarily limit your intake) and try to eat better, and focus on toning. A toned 140 pound woman at 5'9 looks a whole heck of a lot better than a thin 5'9 115 pound woman. I used to think it was all about the number on the scale, but it's not...really it isn't.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I personally think ur beautiful just the way u r
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    I looked up your weight from Weight Watchers and calculated in your height...

******************************************************************************************************************************
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/asm/calc_healthyweight.aspx

Your healthy weight range is 135 to 169 lbs.

As with having a low BMI (under 20), being underweight can pose several health risks. If you're below your healthy weight range, please see a health professional to rule out any problems.

You entered: Height: 5 feet, 9 inches
    **********************************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm 5'4" and my healthy weight is 130 ..... your current weight.

You look amazing, just tone up and do not worry about loosing weight.
  • lisapickering
    Options

Great idea! You look fantastic and maybe you have areas that you don't like, building muscle will help with that. Good Luck! You took the negative criticism very well... some people on here just don't know how to say things nicely. Many people, including me, would love to have your body so to hear that you want to be underweight bothers people.
  • Beachbabe90xo
    Options
    sorry if i offended anyone. I just don't know what i should do about feeling bloated all the time!
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    sorry if i offended anyone. I just don't know what i should do about feeling bloated all the time!

Lots of water!!

I hope that wasn't rude. I have a skewed grasp on social boundaries.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options

GREAT! P90X is always a good option to tone your body but I'm kinda leaning toward Insanity.
    You can find either of these DVD workouts on beachbody.com Good luck and stay fit :)
  • newmrswood
    Options
    WOW! I think your beautiful! You def don't need to lose any weight. I agree that toning would be good, it'll make you feel better without getting sick, and you'll look like you've lost some inches without looking sick. GOOD LUCK! If you need any motivating feel free to add me!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Since you're new I'll just let you know that threads promoting unhealthy diets are against the rules here, with you already underweight, others and I might be thinking that your proposal fits that rule.

I'll also say that eating disorders and body dismorphic disorder are all psychiatric illnesses and so the suggestions to see a psychiatrst or a counselor I'd say is actually perfectly on point. It may be good to talk with a pro about why you feel jiggly or whatever you said that I can't recall.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this link - http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html

For your height, 130 is the minimum you really should be weighing. Losing 15 pounds, and I'm sorry if this offends you, would make you look sickly. Like a skeleton. You're beautiful and you have an amazing body already. You definitely don't need to lose weight. If anything workout just to feel good and be even healthier :)

Forget about LOOKING SICKLY worry about BEING sickly. The health issues associated with being underweight are actually much more severe than those associated with being overweight. But a lot more people are overweight or obese you hear more about that.

130 is already the very low end of you healthy weight range. 115 would put in into the underweight category, that the point where it affects your health.