Pear shaped ladies, let's talk clothes

Options
I have reached that point yet again where I need to buy pants that fit. If you, like myself, carry your weight in your hips/butt/thighs, tell me which brand of pants you like that actually fit and don't cause the dreaded waist gap or hug your problem areas (i.e. call attention to the saddlebags). I am looking for cheaper to moderately priced pants, as I am not quite at my goal and have been stepping up my strength training, so my body composition may still be changing some as the months go on.

For work pants, I swear by the Gap's trouser pants. Not too slim, not too wide, and feel like they are designed for someone with hips and a butt. I did find a pair of jeans at Target that actually fit, so that was exciting. I would love to find other options, particularly jeans and other casual pants a.k.a. non-work clothes. I feel like most brands are hit and miss for me and ends up with me going from store to store looking for HOURS.

I would love to find more than one stinking brand of pants that fit! What are you all wearing?

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    right now i'm all about the "fit 3" pants at target, in merona. they are "straight" instead of curvy...to me when i buy curvy pants, it just accentuates the fact that i have thunder thighs. i have to go up a size in these pants to accomodate my thighs, BUT it makes me look slimmer.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the jeans at the GAP. That is the only place I can find jeans that fit well. I know this past summer i was able to find shorts and cropped pants at New York and Company.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I was lucky enough to find a pair of moderately priced Calvin Klein jeans at Macy's that were in the discount section - and snagged them for $20 a piece, in fact I bought two pair - the size I was at currently (20WP at the time) - and a smaller size (18WP)...to give me the motivation to wear them, and it worked. I'm now wearing only the 18s and they are getting too loose!

I also like the Dockers trousers, I can get them at Kohl's usually under $30.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing Lee jeans w/the boot cut, that sits just below the waist. I avoid straight leg pants of any kind because it makes the wider hips & thighs stand out more.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I need to buy pants that fit. If you, like myself, carry your weight in your hips/butt/thighs, tell me which brand of pants you like that actually fit and don't cause the dreaded waist gap or hug your problem area
    Thanks for starting this thread, I'm in exactly the same situation as you, though I'm British. I'm a 27" waist and 38" hip and the last pair of jeans which fitted me properly were a pair of wonderful Britannia jeans bought in the early 80s - though I only had a 24" waist back then.

I'd love to hear if anyone knows of a manufacturer of jeans or trousers that actually *gasp* have a significantly smaller waist than hips!
  • Tonyajangel
    Options
    I am about 2 sizes smaller in the waist than my hips, thighs, and booty, but I am also only 5'1" I like the St Johns Bay jeans from JCPenny and they are pretty cheap. They are smaller in the waist with a good amount of room in the hips and thighs. I like the boot cut.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have had ZERO luck with any jeans billed as "curvy." They are roomy in the hips then taper in, making an unflattering line on my body (much like tapered jeans) by accentuating the hips. I think straight leg is way more flattering on me, though a slight boot cut also seems to work.

The Merona jeans from Target fit me well though I can't remember what fit number the ones I have are. The sizing is crazy though. I am currently in loose size 10s and their size 10 jeans are seriously tight.

Funny enough, I wear Gap's pants for work but haven't tried their jeans in years. Is there a certain cut that works for pear shaped bodies?

Keep the recommendations coming!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love the fit of Levi's jeans and corduroys (they sit lower on the hips), none of mine are gappy in the back and there are so many colos and styles to choose from; there's also the added benefit of knowing that Levi's are never going anywhere, so once you find your style there, they'll always be available when you need to move down a size!

As far as fits for jeans, corduroys, and trousers, I have had the most success with J. Crew. The waist sits higher, which is more appropriate for the office, and more comfortable if you're having a day where you feel fat (haha). The only issue with J. Crew is that I don't think their sizes go past a 12 (in trousers) or a 32 (in jeans), though I have found that their trousers run pretty big--I'm comfortably a 6 in their wide-leg trousers, and definitely closer to an 8 in everything else!
  • weeze_h
    Options
    Great topic!

I'm British and have the exact same problem, I no longer had any jeans that fitted and went shopping last week got really disheartened after trying loads on but finally found 2 pairs in New Look (not sure if you get these outside UK), found some that fitted in H&M but didn't like the colours, and found that Dorothy Perkins fitted but again didnt like the jeans.

Gutted have to stick with high street brands but after trying Firetrap, Superdry and other designers I was getting so frustrated that I thought may as well look at cheaper brands anyway as I hope to lose another 5-6lbs soon.

After reading this thread I may try Lees next - any more recommendations?
  • weeze_h
    Options
    Oops - Levis not Lees, I was paying attention - honest!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am about 2 sizes smaller in the waist than my hips, thighs, and booty, but I am also only 5'1" I like the St Johns Bay jeans from JCPenny and they are pretty cheap. They are smaller in the waist with a good amount of room in the hips and thighs. I like the boot cut.

Thanks for remininding me of these. I bought the cords a couple years back & had good luck with them. Just want to mention - they had a slim cut (or slimming something?) version too - these were really a bad fit for us pears.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    DKNY Soho Jeans (their basic ones) Seriously, they were made for curvy women. The waist is slightly tapered so that you don't end up with a lot of extra fabric scrunched up in your belt. I got them for $34 a pair at the outlet. They retail for $68, but you can get a deal at Macy's with a coupon.
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think the trick is to get pants that rest low on the hips. Strangely enough I find the jeans that look best on me are from the junior sections. I have to wear one size bigger but the look much better. Aeropostle, Vanity, Maurices. My hips are 8 inches bigger than my belly and I am 5'2". Loving the other suggestions!
  • lisa_h2
    Options
    Lucky Jeans has a new cut called "Sofia" - made for women with hips. They are a little pricey but I swear by them! I went shopping for jeans last weekend trying to find something cheaper and got frustrated - I went right back to Lucky and got another pair of Sofia jeans.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    For shorts this summer I found Target Fit 1, and Kohl's Sanoma "Classic" fit to work well.

For cheap jeans I stick to JC Penney Chelsea jeans, they are usually about $25. I've owned them in every size between a 14 and a 6. They are straight legged and come in Longs which I need.

ETA: I have a 28 in waist and 40in hips, and 23in thighs.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of Faded Glory at walmart. These:
    0060156001341_180X180.jpg

Super comfy to work in, but they have a moderate appearance that I might be shoplifting something in my pants.... No, that's just my butt.

As for jeans that look like jeans are supposed to look. I have to go to Lane Bryant. :(
  • SaraBL15
    SaraBL15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For dress pants, Ann Taylor LOFT "Julie" and "Marisa" fits ... they are my go-to pants. Can't go wrong. Also, someone told me about Maurice's jeans -- you can even probably wear a size smaller in those. Those, too, were a find! Good luck!
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I hate buying pants! It is so hard to find pants/jeans when you carry your weight in your hips/thighs/butt like I do, and I am short, so that limits my options even further. That being said, I have found that for jeans, the American Eagle Boyfriend Fit is very flattering on me (I always get the boot cut or the flared leg). I have also found that a darker denim color is more flattering than a lighter denim color.

For dress black pants, I have had success with New York and Company's pants. Right now I'm forgetting the exact style I went with, but I absolutely LOVE them! (I literally wore the last pair until they had a hole in them -- I loved them that much!)

For Khaki pants, I haven't found any that I absolutely love that I would recommend. I have many brands and styles in my closet, but none that I truly like how I look in them.

I had success with Apt. 9 capri's from Kohl's this spring/summer as well.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    right now I`m 179 and a size 12 I`m really likeing the DKNY brand , Calvin klien , and Sevens non of them are cheap saddly but I have had some luck on Ebay finding them used for about half the price :)

the Seven`s are by far my faves fallowed closely by the dkny then the CK`s

Dress pants I like the gap brand
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My favorite "curvy" jeans are at Eddie Bauer. They are one size smaller in the waist than the hips and the thighs are roomy but not baggy. They are a bit pricy ($65-70). I've had a few pairs for several years and they are still in great shape; very good quality. You can also often find them on sale. I once wandered in and they were on sale for $25; I bought two pair. You might save these for when you reach your goal weight.

I was also going to suggest Target with their new sizing. I haven't actually tried them yet, but they seemed to have the "one size smaller in the waist" fit similar to Eddie Bauer, and for a better price, but probably not as good in quality.