Pear shaped ladies, let's talk clothes

Options

Replies

• tbelivea
    tbelivea Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian and I live in Reitman's Comfort Stretch jeans. They're some of the only jeans that actually fit me. Because my waist to hips ratio is so huge, I have to wear jeans that have stretch in them.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Bumping up for deannarey13
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Great post!!! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I buy Old Navy jeans in "The Dreamer" fit and they are awesome (and under $40). I have a 11" difference between my waist and my hips.
  • katyk00
    katyk00 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Gap jeans or Levi 515s.
  • Alegria79
    Alegria79 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, but I LOVE Lucky Sweet N Low jeans. They're a bit more expensive than other jeans, but they fit so beautifully that it's worth it for me. I'm on my 3rd pair and they're still fantastic.
  • wsclink
    Options
    I find Gap Curvy Fit or DKNY soho fit well on me.
  • staroftheeast
    staroftheeast Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I feel I have pear tendencies as I've always had a pouchy tummy even when I was a competitive swimmer. Also, I have big thighs for my size but being a breast stroke swimmer probably didn't help that problem.
    Anyway, this discussion re:pants and clothes not fitting is interesting. I've always had a problem with fit even when I was much younger.
    One of the things I've learned over the years is the size number should not count as the style can change how clothing fits.due to the amount of design ease in that particular garment as well as the style or shape.
    The most common categories of design ease are: closely fitted, fitted, semi-fitted, loosely fitted and very loosely fitted. However, one designers ease amount for a fitted garment may be another designers loosely fitted. This is why many of us wear a differnt size in clothes from different designers and manufacturers or even a differnt size in a different garment by the same designer or manufacturer. There's just not a lot of consistency.
    All of this is my way of saying don't fixate on the number but wear what feels comfortable and looks nice on you.

I think we some times get so fixated on a particular number that we end up beating ourselves up because we aren't a perfect size 8 or whatever. No one is a perfect size anything. Clothing is fitted or altered to fit a specific model.

Right now, I am wearing every size from an 8 (a couple pr. of pants) to a 14 (1 pr. of shorts). Presently the size 14 shorts and most of the size 12 bottoms are becoming too big. Some of the 10s are getting loose & some fit fine. A few size 8 fit ok but some are snug yet. Will I ever wear a size 3/4 again? Probably not but stranger things have happened.

I am in the process of finding a new pr. of black or deep chocolate pants. I tried our local JC Penny's today but I am in between any of the sizes they had in styles I liked. so I'll wait a few more weeks or another 5 pounds and try again.

Just keep on keeping on.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i love GAP's long and leans, and i think EVERYONE looks good in some good trouser jeans!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I go to Lane Bryant for Right Fit pants and jeans. They are the only ones I have found that fit my waist with room for my hips, butt, and thighs. Here's the link for the explanation.

http://www.rightfit.com/find-your-right-fit/
  • staroftheeast
    staroftheeast Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm following up on my above post.

I decided to bite the bullet & go shopping for clothes especially pants.
    Tops are definitely a small or extra small except for button up blouses which then depend much on cut & wearing ease over bust line.

Bottoms however are another story. I went to Penny's as they are local, having a sale and I saw some of the Modern Fit pants from Worthington on their web site. They did have the trouser leg in chocolate brown (which I want) in stock in misses but not petities. The size 10 were a bit looser than I like to wear however the 8 fit but showed a small horizontal wrinkle at the lower abdomen & crotch area so I am not quite there yet. I will try them again when I lose a few more pounds or another inch or so in that area.
    I did buy a pr. of lightweight summer sleep pants in a medium. The small fit ok but I like a bit of extra room in sleep pants. I also bought a pr. of Liz Claiborne shorts in size 8 which have a bit of room in them. I have a feeling the room will shrink out once washed & dried as the fabric is cotton.
    I didn't try any skirts but did try a couple of dresses. Neither of them fit quite right in the bust area. I think I have enough dresses for now.

BTW, my favoite pair black jeans are Lee Rider that I bought at either Penny's or Kohl'.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    For all those Brits out there...

The only ones I find that have a long enough leg (I'm pretty tall) and not only sit on the waist but nip in far enough are Marks and Spencer Per Una Roma. I'm a UK size 16 and buy the straight leg jean. I'm 37 but consider myself to be a bit trendy and would never wear bootcut! Roma jeans give a trendy semi-skinny effect without being too tight.

My pet hate with most other UK brands (particularly Next and Topshop) is that they look great when you put them on but are too low slung at the waist so if you attempt to sit down you end up with builder's bum. Never a good look!
  • dragondreamer
    Options
    I've found that the Venezia and Gloria Vanderbilt pants fit my "pear bottom" better. The waist is tapered and the hips/belly area have a little room.

If you are losing weight steadily, I have found that going to Goodwill/GFC Foundation and other thrift stores is the way to go. You may havet o hunt a bit longer than at a department store, but I find Venezia and Gloria Vanderbilt at the one here and I pay $3 vs $30+.. and it is a plus since I have changed 4 pants sizes this year!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    For all those Brits out there...

The only ones I find that have a long enough leg (I'm pretty tall) and not only sit on the waist but nip in far enough are Marks and Spencer Per Una Roma.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I just looked up the M&S Roma range online, realised I had no idea what clothing size I am now, checked their size chart and found to my shock that I'm now a SIZE 12 (US 10) which means I must have old jeans that actually fit me!

Ran upstairs and dug some out of the back of the wardrobe, first ones I tried were my old favourites, size 10 Calvin Kleins. They don't fit properly, but I got them on. That's all the incentive I need to keep me going, I'd LOVE to be able to wear those again! :bigsmile:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    bumping for later. Lucky and Seven are my favs. My hips have ALWAYS been exactly 10" bigger than my waist whether my waist is 24 or 34" LOL!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yup - even when I was small (ie size 4) my stomach was a 4 and my thighs a 6. What's a girl to do? I recommend a good tailor - someone a while back posted how movie stars always look perfect b/c they tailor EVERYTHING. I haven't done this yet, no point until I reach my final 'size'. Right now I'm wearing a bunch of 14's with a tight belt b/c they're falling off and I only kept one size 12 on the way up. I'll have more options at size 8 which I kept.

When I was a size 8 the pants that fit me best were from the Limited...several fits there really well. Cassidy (which they discountinued), but other's from the limited tended to fit GREAT, and also has sporadic success with Express
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    I'm in love with Old Navy's "Rockstar" cut. Reasonably priced, come in a good variety of colors, fit perfectly, and very trendy :) They look awesome with heels, flats, and boots!
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE Gap. I know they are a bit expensive.. but TOTALLY worth it! They are quality, dont shrink when washed.. and dont shred after a few washes. My favorites are the LONG AND LEAN.. but I also like CURVY style.
  • Anngetsfit
    Anngetsfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have had good luck recently with Wrangler Jeans. They are not just for cowboys any more. But they do look really nice with my boots!!