let it go...

Replies

• bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    good advice... but man I'd still like to shove a letter opener in their ear......
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Honestly for give them and move on and do not worry about anything.
    I don't forgive, and I don't forget...I just don't always remember.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Really? what if someone you never met, your 'boyfriend's niece, 17 calls you 'female hunting dog' (b itch) at a family Christmas party the first time you ever attend? And NO adults smack her or apologize? Let it go? I don't effin' think so
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Repeat after me: No unnecessary bull sh**...
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    *thumbs-up*

Being annoyed with someone or something requires that I care. And I'd prefer to not have to. There's a Someecard I love that says "You cannot fathom the immensity of the fck I do not give." I pretty much live by that as often as possible. Unless something interferes with my life on a personal level, in other words - not just my feelings - I don't give a _ _ _ _.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,493 Member
    It can be the hardest thing in the world to do but really letting it go is for the best. Not saying I always follow through but I try. Its just not worth holding onto the stress, especially if it is something you have no control over.
  • So true. I can't control other people's behaviour, only my reaction to it. Oooommmmm!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,493 Member
    Really? what if someone you never met, your 'boyfriend's niece, 17 calls you 'female hunting dog' (b itch) at a family Christmas party the first time you ever attend? And NO adults smack her or apologize? Let it go? I don't effin' think so

well of course some things are more extreme and harder to let go of. but is there any benefit to not letting it go? Of course this didnt happen to me so its easier for me to say let it go but still.
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    so... where can I get one of these asshats? Is that easier than wearing pants?

I giggled at this.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member

These were just words I said for myself. You are all welcome to take it or leave it, all of it, some of it or none of it. You don't have to by any means, but its definitely not hurting the 17 year old girl. That I can assure you of.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    When someone does or says something to get under your skin, guess what? You have a right to let it go. *gasp* Yes, seriously. The person does not make you upset. They said something that ruffled your feathers, but YOU chose to let it affect you. So, YOU can choose to let it go. YOU made yourself mad, NOT them.

Sure, they may have acted like a total asshat, but you decide whether to let it roll off your shoulders or harbor it. Who do you think it hurts? Certainly not them. YOU call the shots on how you are going to react to others, no one else can do that for you. So, are you going to take charge of your life and your emotions, or are you going to continue to blame others for your bad attitude?

(I needed this today - I had forgotten others don't piss me off, I ALLOWED it to happen and am now letting it go - woosah!)
    People who say bad things to others do it for one reason............to feel in control. This may be the ONLY control they have in their life so to react to it would mean THEY WIN..................don't let them win. Shuck it off.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    :heart:

Yep. You can't control what other people do or say... only how you react to it.
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    DeenaSteelerGirl Posts: 421 Member
    Glad I read this.. I just had two woman I work with piss me off. I choose to come here and vent instead of venting on them. Well said ! I also love.. love that word.. asshat :laugh:
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member

What good does it do YOU to sit and dwell on it?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Indeed!
  • bry_all01
    so... where can I get one of these asshats? Is that easier than wearing pants?

definitely easier than getting pants, as they are EVERYWHERE! :laugh:
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    **nods head**

I just cant utter the words....

i am more keene on methodical torturing revenge but hey.....I can try new things
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    They said something that ruffled your feathers, but YOU chose to let it affect you. So, YOU can choose to let it go. YOU made yourself mad, NOT them.

Like the spirit of this post, but while you allow the reaction to progress, the anger response is triggered by the external stimulus, when you consider how the limbic system of the brain and hypothalamus work together...if someone does something to upset you, THEIR BEHAVIOR makes you mad, not as stated here...you do not have a choice as to whether the initial emotion happens but you do have control over how you react to it.

Sorry, like I said, I love and agree with the spirit of this post but the science was a bit off here...God help me I am a prof and I teach...and believe it or not I really don't have control over that. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    How I learned it (I'm a math geek): E+R=O
    Event plus response equals outcome and the most important and telling piece of the equation is our response
  • bry_all01
    They said something that ruffled your feathers, but YOU chose to let it affect you. So, YOU can choose to let it go. YOU made yourself mad, NOT them.

Like the spirit of this post, but while you allow the reaction to progress, the anger response is triggered by the external stimulus, when you consider how the limbic system of the brain and hypothalamus work together...if someone does something to upset you, THEIR BEHAVIOR makes you mad, not as stated here...you do not have a choice as to whether the initial emotion happens but you do have control over how you react to it.

Sorry, like I said, I love and agree with the spirit of this post but the science was a bit off here...God help me I am a prof and I teach...and believe it or not I really don't have control over that. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

We can agree to disagree. :flowerforyou: