New and so far...rudeness

Options

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I sure hope this is not what dieting is all about.....thought this was for support? geez :angry:

"I sure hope this is not what dieting is all about."....What did you think dieting was all about? Just curious because now that I reread this..it's an interesting way you worded your post. Dieting takes a lot of self discipline and self control, it's an individual journey. A choice YOU make to change your lifestyle. The are no short cuts, fad diets, it takes hard work and patience. The support is here...but ultimately it's in your hands to make this work!
  • BrookelynJ
    Options
    True...I know the food I eat and lifestyle is on me but when you have a support group of people just like you who have the same struggles you think it is going to be somewhat encourging, not an attack. I am a nurse so I know what I "should" eat and how often I "should" exercise.
    I came to MFP for friends to help give me that push and to help them as well when we need it.
  • gertieblueboots
    Options
    I have found MFP to be VERY supportive so far. Every time I post on the boards I make a friend, and everyone is very helpful and forthcoming with great advice and information. Don't be discouraged! The people here are great.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, I am sorry. This can be a great place. I have made some the nicest friends and please feel free to friend me. This site once help me to lose about 30 lbs and I so enjoy company of those who have gone before me or trying to get there with me.
    What a beautiful pic!
    Shelia
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The world is full of evil people, unfortunately. I have really had nothing but the best experience here. Helpful and encouraging people. I don't involve myself in anything that resembles drama, therefore I concentrate on the positive people on the site.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on the forums are incredibly rude and ignorant.

That said, MFP is a great tool for weight loss. I've lost 20lbs so far and nothing else I've tried has ever worked for me.

If you can find some like minded people to become friends with, thats a lot better and more friendly than the forums usually are.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you got a bad first impression. There are some wonderful people here who are awesome friends. Like anywhere, there is the rude and rough element. Try to get to know the people who are friends with the good folks you meet. The rest just ignore. Welcome and best of luck to you.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's really not that bad, you just happened to make your first post about something that is very contriversial around here. You'll find that anything that fits into a category as a fad diet, surgery, pill, something else that is not strictly diet and exercise related where as you actually eat, is going to pull that kind of reaction. Yours was actually tame, it's a stronger reaction some days than others. If you look just to the left of the "post topic" button you'll see "search." for most quesitons I would start here and if you don't find the specific answer you're going for then post. This will help you from sticking your foot in the middle of something controversial early on, will help you get answers more quickly if it's already been answered, and keep you from getting the "what, don't you know how to use a google or mfp search" for answers.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Don't leave because of the few who were insensititve. You'll find many more who are supportive. Supportive doesn't always mean agreeing with you or sugar coating everyting, but it should never be in the form of an attack or belittling. You'll find some great people here!
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What happened?
    Maybe you were just unlucky enough to run across one of the people who use the forum as their personal playground to bully others. We have a few just like everywhere else.
    Friend me. I promise not to be B!tchy more than about 1 week out of the month. :flowerforyou:
  • brenkenfranson
    Options
    Hi Just started today too. Haven't found any rudeness yet! Hope you stick around. Heres wishing us sucess.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    True...I know the food I eat and lifestyle is on me but when you have a support group of people just like you who have the same struggles you think it is going to be somewhat encourging, not an attack. I am a nurse so I know what I "should" eat and how often I "should" exercise.
    I came to MFP for friends to help give me that push and to help them as well when we need it.

I love your response it's given with the right frame of mind and heart. And here is a secret, most of the people that "KNOW" everything about health, excercise, diet, etc, sit in front of a computer read something from menshealth and assume they are experts. The truth is that as a nurse you are probably more educated in "HEALTH" which is what is most important, than any of these other self proclaimed experts. If HCG can help make you healthier then it's no harm no foul, I know several people that are on it and it works for them because the dieticians they work with also implement plans for exercise and calorie portion control. There are several roads that lead to the same destination, you just have to find the one you want to travel. :)
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Take the best and leave the rest. Someone once told me that, and that has made my cyber life so much easier. Some folks are critical of every thing someone says or does. I look at each post and think...can I take something from it...can I add something beneficial to it. If I can, great...if not...I surf on.....and I've tried to develop a rule that I never respond to something that ruffles my feathers. Has made my life so much easier....

And...yes....I have found there to be tons of support and good information here :)

Good Luck....and truly there are some fine people in these parts....wink wink
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you. Please report the jacka$$es to moderators. We don't need them. Please feel free to friend me if you like. I may have some snarky remarks at times (all in good fun!), but never dole out anything but positivity & support towards fellow MFP members!!! We're all here for our health, and that sort of behavior should never be tolerated.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    People seem supportive..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/347840-working-12-hours-a-day-and-no-energy-to-exercise

In your post you even thank people for their ideas. What happened that made you think people were rude? The best part is the friend part of the site, it is filled with much more support then the forums.

probably the responses in this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/347851-hcg-for-weight-loss

Oh....anytime you post about HCG or Fad diets, people can get a bit testy. Mainly for 2 reasons. 1) There are so many threads about the same thing daily and 2) People want you to be healthy and HCG just isn't. Even though it doesn't seem like it, people really are genuinley concerned about your health.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Your first post was regarding HCG diet. That is a real "hot button" subject here. I'm sure you will find people being more supportive for you in the long run, but, observe the boards, feel your way around and try to stay away from controversial subjects on the boards. People are very adamant about the way they feel regarding certain ideas - none more than HCG.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    People seem supportive..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/347840-working-12-hours-a-day-and-no-energy-to-exercise

In your post you even thank people for their ideas. What happened that made you think people were rude? The best part is the friend part of the site, it is filled with much more support then the forums.

probably the responses in this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/347851-hcg-for-weight-loss

Oh....anytime you post about HCG or Fad diets, people can get a bit testy. Mainly for 2 reasons. 1) There are so many threads about the same thing daily and 2) People want you to be healthy and HCG just isn't. Even though it doesn't seem like it, people really are genuinley concerned about your health.

^
    Well said. Unhealthy diets and fad diets just don't work...you most likely will end up gaining back the weight and then some. Believe me...if there was a healthy short cut out there I would have found it by now. Sensible eating, everything in moderation, in the end...you will feel so good about the hard work and dedication you've put into it!!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I don't typically go to the forums to post...if I see a interesting topic one of my friends have posted on, I will post....and I keep up with my girls in the Onederland by Christmas thread :) I have seen some nastiness on here, but for the most part, people are very supportive :)

Welcome, btw!!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I don't need friends that blow sunshine and butterflies up my butt.
    For the record, this is not a safe or recommended dieting technique.

If I ask if something will work, I want the truth, not necessarily what I was hoping to hear. I would like some brutal honesty and I'm guessing that's what you got- hCG is a load of hooey!
    Sadly, one person's disagreement is another person's rudeness or attack. See next graph.

Anyway, forums require a slightly thick skin. If you post, people are going to jump in with their opinions and they won't always align with yours. Personally I enjoy a good online row from time to time. If that's not your cup of tea, keep forum activity to a minimum and stick with your friends.
    I would say at least stay out of 'Chit-chat, fun, and game' if you are really sensitive. There is a LOT of support on this site, and it comes in many forms. If you are only interested in hearing very kind, very patient, only positive support from your friends, then you should probably only expose yourself to your friends.

I'm not advocating you expose yourself.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I don't need friends that blow sunshine and butterflies up my butt.
    For the record, this is not a safe or recommended dieting technique.
    Totally. Butterflies have calories, and they're hardly nutritious.
    If I ask if something will work, I want the truth, not necessarily what I was hoping to hear. I would like some brutal honesty and I'm guessing that's what you got- hCG is a load of hooey!
    Sadly, one person's disagreement is another person's rudeness or attack. See next graph.
    That, and sometimes people are just straight up d-bags on here. I agree that until a strong friendship base has been established, one should tread lightly when venturing to the forums.