Confession: I buy grocery store sushi....

Options
13»

Replies

• rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Please I want some good Sushi now pretty please:smile:
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a serious sushi craving that has to be satisfied, even if its crappy sushi. Including grocery store sushi rolled in another state (I sometimes do this).

On the expired issue: I eat almost expired and expired. I just do.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    i buy it all the time at my superstore - who gives a flyin rat butt where it comes from! lol its delicious and in my budget. mmm now i want sushi........drooolll....

i should mention that my grocery store has a sushi section where i can actually see it being made....is your mind blown lol :)
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just think it's sad you pay $10 for a rainbow roll...

I guess it depends where you live because around here $10 wouldn't be too bad for a rainbow roll. I often see it listed closer to $12 and this is for your more casual sushi places, nothing fancy:(

I have also been known to get grocery store sushi, but I usually stick to avocado or sweet potato rolls. However, I've had decent non-veg sushi from whole foods, but it's almost as expensive as going to a sushi restaurant, so it's really more of a convenience thing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is grocery store sushi bad?? At my favorite local sushi restaurant there is a very cute old Japanese man that makes the sushi in front of you (if you sit at or go to the bar). At my grocery there is a middle aged Japanese woman who makes the sushi and puts it in a cooler. She will also make it fresh in front of you if you request something not in the cooler. Other than the atmosphere I can't see why one is better than the other.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

I guess it depends where you live because around here $10 wouldn't be too bad for a rainbow roll. I often see it listed closer to $12 and this is for your more casual sushi places, nothing fancy:(

I have also been known to get grocery store sushi, but I usually stick to avocado or sweet potato rolls. However, I've had decent non-veg sushi from whole foods, but it's almost as expensive as going to a sushi restaurant, so it's really more of a convenience thing.

Same here. Sushi is pricey in Denver! I do think that some restaurants have better quality fish than the grocery store, but there are several in the area (Rachel and I live in the same city) that are pretty dang good for the price.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I want sushi too. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I get expired sushi from the dumpster behind the grocery store. FREE!
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I've made my own.
    So good and SO cheap compared to what you can buy at a grocery store! :D
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options

Same here. Sushi is pricey in Denver! I do think that some restaurants have better quality fish than the grocery store, but there are several in the area (Rachel and I live in the same city) that are pretty dang good for the price.
    You all have my sympathies, then...but keep buying the pricey sushi. I cannot imagine a life without good sushi...
  • maria1993
    Options
    Pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce are a MUST with my sushi.

I can either buy about 8 pieces for $9 at kroger, or buy the same number of rolls, including pickled ginger and soy sauce for $4 at Habatchi.. Which is in the SAME plaza as Kroger
  • maria1993
    Options
    Earlier I had 6 eel rolls from Hibatchi for $4.

Smear a little wasabi on there, sprinkle a little soy sauce and top it with a slice of pickled ginger.. Pop it in your mouth and your taste buds will be happy :-)