US peeps - Which state is ME?

Options

Replies

• leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Be nice, guys. She is interested in learning about your country. I think that is lovely.

agree-

I used to live in Maine - but I was 5- the only thing I remember is the winter :laugh: & that was cold
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    as far as i know, the only state which refers to itself as its postal abbreviation is Pennsylvania - totally acceptable to call it PA, pronounced Pee Ay.

but for the rest, you just say the name.

*throws head back and hollers* PA! That's my state! It's too long to get your mouth around so we abbreviated it.

We just call it Pencil-tukey
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I can google what state is ME, but it doesn't tell me that actually you don't call the states by their abbreviations (unless you're in Pennsylvania). And I didn't know it had comparable weather to Scotland. This is way more interesting than just googling it, I did later google maine and got this
    http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/states/maine/maine-location-map.html
    while the map is useful, the actual reading material is *where's the snoozefest smiley* If it has rainbowbrite in it I'm sure it must be a way more interesting state than that sounds!!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    GAHHHHHHH temptation.. temptation... *backs away........... *
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I read it as maine... =/
  • shoppie
    Options
    A stone is 14 lbs actually, its even in my sig!

Why pencil tukey???

Do you honestly not find this stuff interesting? I do!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I read MO as misery.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    as far as i know, the only state which refers to itself as its postal abbreviation is Pennsylvania - totally acceptable to call it PA, pronounced Pee Ay.

*throws head back and hollers* PA! That's my state! It's too long to get your mouth around so we abbreviated it.

That would be the part of PA between Philly and Pittsburgh, and most PA people won't argue with you on that.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Be nice, guys. She is interested in learning about your country. I think that is lovely.

Much agreed. . .
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    it is a very pretty state. with a LOT of coastline. but most of the coast - at least where i was - was all rock, not sand.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    A stone is 14 lbs actually, its even in my sig!

Why pencil tukey???

Do you honestly not find this stuff interesting? I do!

Philly and Pittsburgh are on opposite sides of the states, they're the only major cities in the state, the rest of PA is mostly small cities/towns, farm lands/factories, all-in-all it's a little hick. Kentucky is also pretty hick, it's essentially a mocking term, but we (people from PA) know it's totally true.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    And if you're American do you honestly not just read that as 'me'??
    We just know...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I read MO as misery.

Don't we all....
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

That would be the part of PA between Philly and Pittsburgh, and most PA people won't argue with you on that.

*hides* i grew up near Herr's Chips and my neighbors were Amish. they used to drag race their buggies down our street... while drunk. it's a good show.
  • shoppie
    Options
    What use is google anyway? I googled pencil tukey and it doesn't say anything - is that just what you call that particular bit of PA then? I take it its a derogatory term?

And someone finally answered the do you read ME as Maine question - thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • shoppie
    Options
    [/quote]

*hides* i grew up near Herr's Chips and my neighbors were Amish. they used to drag race their buggies down our street... while drunk. it's a good show.
    [/quote]

Google def doesn't tell you stuff like this :bigsmile:
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    so do you read it as 'me' or do you immediately see 'Maine' as soon as you see the letters cos you know what it stands for so well?
    It's basic U.S. geography.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I misspelled it. I just use the term as an endearing way. my family is all from Pa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsyltucky
  • shoppie
    Options
    [/quote]

Philly and Pittsburgh are on opposite sides of the states, they're the only major cities in the state, the rest of PA is mostly small cities/towns, farm lands/factories, all-in-all it's a little hick. Kentucky is also pretty hick, it's essentially a mocking term, but we (people from PA) know it's totally true.
    [/quote]

:laugh: fair enough! See look at all I've learnt just form wondering what ME was short for!

Cheers :flowerforyou:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    All of out states have two letter abbreviations for the post office. Both letters should be capitalized so people know it is Maine and not me. That leads to our first conflict- when you see I :heart: NY they are talking about the city not the state, which is also abbreviated NY. Then you have LA which is Louisiana and not to be confused with L.A. Los Angeles; and DC, as in Washington DC which is not a state at all. It's our way of keeping foreigners confused, sometimes it confused us too. :laugh: