Halloween: Healthy Trick-or-Treat Options

Options
This will be the first year that I'm able to have trick-or-treaters come to my house. I am super excited! However, I don't really want to hand out candy. Not only do I not want to contribute to someone else's ill health, but I also don't want leftover candy in my house. Far too tempting!

What are some healthier pre-packaged, trick-or-treat friendly snacks that I could pass out?

Replies

• Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I did a little googling and found someone suggesting individual-sized prunes. Meh. I also found a suggestion for Cliff Twisted Fruits (http://www.clifbarstore.com/detail/CLF+TWIST+MB) which could be kinda cool. They seem a bit pricey and I'm not sure I'd be able to find them around here. But that's an option at least.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Please don't ruin Halloween.
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    I'm really lame and work in a dental office, but last year I handed out gift bags with toothbrushes, toothpaste and little plastic toys. I did sneak in a small chocolate bar.

Gift certs from McDonalds and Wendy's are cool too
  • luckypoisonivy
    Options
    apples
  • Kalrez
    Options
    And while we're on the subject, I stumbled across this site

http://notricktreats.com

You can register your house if you are going to be handing out any specialty treats - gluten-free, kosher, vegan, etc. That way parents can know to stop by your house if their child has dietary restrictions. Pretty awesome.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

Agreed. That would be super lame.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    not sure where you live but I was getting a salad at wendys today and they are selling 10 free mini frostys for 1.00, they are cute little coupons made for halloween, buy some of them to give out, also Mcdonalds sells french fry ones as well! those are safe, healthy and fun!! :D no prunes silly!! lol:laugh:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I just throw eggs at the little beggars.

No, I don't. I give them the crap that they've been receiving for generations. It's up to their parents to dole it out responsibly.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    let em eat the candy. they get sick for a few days and sometimes don't even want to look at candy til thanksgiving anyhow.

it is good to try and think of non-candy treats for yourself the rest of the year though :)
  • Kalrez
    Options

Like they aren't going to get enough candy and sweet from other houses? There's no harm in handing out something different.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Sam's Club! I always get pre-packaged individual bags of pretzels all decorated for Halloween! They also have individual bags of popcorn... :happy:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    They will remember your house and avoid it next year.

Man, I'm so jealous of anyone who gets trick or treaters. We don't get any. We just eat all the candy ourselves.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I did a little googling and found someone suggesting individual-sized prunes. Meh.

Lol the prunes would probobly get your house TPd,but what ever you do for the love of whoever DO NOT give out mini toothpaste lol
    And any kind of fresh fruit parents will throw out
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options

Like they aren't going to get enough candy and sweet from other houses? There's no harm in handing out something different.

I have to agree with the OP here.... you never know..... your snack might get the kids to start eating healthier, especially if you find something that's not pure sugar that appeals to them!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    apples

Don't do this. They won't eat them for fear of being poisoned and will throw them at cars and houses instead.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    my kids hate the pretzels...lol :yawn:
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

It's up to the parents to make the decision on what their kids can & cannot eat. But if you feel the need to stand on a health soap box that night then hand out raisins, pre-packaged carrots, etc.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    What about those Lantz Crackers with the peanut butter or cheese in the middle? Not sure how many children you get at your house, though... that could get pricey!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Pennies.

And then you'll get tons of free toilet paper that night. :laugh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Some people used to give out money (a little change). That was my favorite.