Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Cold hard cash was always a win in my book. :laugh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    There was a lady near me who gave out cans of pop. We loved her. There was a dentist who gave out toothbrushes. We hated him.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Pennies.

And then you'll get tons of free toilet paper that night. :laugh:

My granma used to give out handfulls of quarters,she would forgett to buy candy and had to dip in to her vegas fund lol
    every year she also hung a lemon around her waist and went as a sour puss,damn I MISS my grandma
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Pretzels, popcorn balls (walmart sells those), halloween garb (spider rings, bat rings, etc...), gummy type stuff....

I just buy candy and when my kids go trick or treating, whatever candy is leftover I donate to so our leftover candy can be sent overseas to our awesome troops stationed in Iraq/Afghanistan.
  • CryTerrell
    Options
    They have pretzels and some chips. Also you could go to Micheal or any craft store and get some cute halloween things. I got some witches fingers that glow and vampire teeth!!
  • rachel1496
    Options
    I do mini bags of microwave popcorn. My son has a red dye allergy so most halloween candy is off limits for him, I didn't want to have a bunch of leftover candy that no one could eat.
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered raisins is a good compromise for a treat. But not PLAIN raisins!
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Or juice boxes..
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    Please don't ruin Halloween.

ditto
  • OlibecaMom
    Options
    As a mom of two little kids (3 & 6) - my thought is to give whatever you want. My kids think it's awesome to get coupons for a free donut at the local grocery store, a coupon for fries at McDonalds or a bag of pretzals. We don't eat any fruit or anything unwrapped (someone suggested apples) just because of the chance that some kook is doing something bad. They also LOVED the toothbrush/toothpaste from the local dentist last year!

You could get boxes of fruit snacks or mini fruit rollups - not great, but another option. I let my kids enjoy candy - not without limits - but I don't make it a big deal. I don't want them to feel like they have to hide or hoard it.

Good for you for wanting to do something different.
  • julidav
    julidav Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    How about fruit snacks?
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Individual tubs of peaches and pears in juice. Fruit leather. Little bags of almonds, if you can find them. Bags of scroggin.

Better still, if you know the parents and have the time: frozen bananas (or half-bananas) on popsicle sticks, with the tips dipped in chocolate.
  • saraann752003
    Options
    Pretzels, popcorn balls (walmart sells those), halloween garb (spider rings, bat rings, etc...), gummy type stuff....

I just buy candy and when my kids go trick or treating, whatever candy is leftover I donate to so our leftover candy can be sent overseas to our awesome troops stationed in Iraq/Afghanistan.

My hubby (USARMY) wanted me to post that this is cool and thank you!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Just for one night, do the candy!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Without reading all the comments - I say you should do toys! We're doing little goodie bags with a couple cheap toys (party favors) and a small piece of candy. They have little bubbles, jewelry, bouncy balls, little action figures, etc. Tons of the junk I used to love as a kid.

We just have a buttload of small toy favors left after our wedding (we did little kiddy favor bags, that barely any kids took) that I need to get rid of, so we're handing them out. I’m also adding the little piece of candy to make the older kids happy so they don’t just get little toys.

If you want to do candy, one way to make sure you stay out of them is to get the little baggies and stuff them all AS SOON as you buy the candy – so if you’re desperate enough to eat the candy, you’ll be taking it from a little kid (meanie! :P). After Halloween, you can always donate them (give them to a family friend, or at the end of the night dump them all off at the last kid!)
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    And while we're on the subject, I stumbled across this site

http://notricktreats.com

You can register your house if you are going to be handing out any specialty treats - gluten-free, kosher, vegan, etc. That way parents can know to stop by your house if their child has dietary restrictions. Pretty awesome.

I checked out this site... rather cute. I would have (as a child) found all the houses handing out $$. As an old fart here - I remember when giving apples, oranges and homemade items was the thing - but no longer the case. So the little gift bags as someone suggested or change would do the treating.
  • stinastudios
    stinastudios Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can buy glow bracelets/necklaces at most dollar stores around this time of year. Thats what we've given out in the past. Kids love them cuz they glow, parents love them cuz they make the kids more visible in the dark, and you'll love them because you can't eat what's left over! (You can however play with the leftovers, much fun to be had in turning all the light off and dancing around with leftover glow stuff all over you.)
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    for the younger kids halloween pencils, erasers and joke items(spider rings, glow bracelets), the tweens only like candy though
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    one scarry night a year, go ahead , give em what they want..............rocks

Charlie Brown loved em, so why not your kids

just kidding......One night isnt going to destroy em, let em have fun............shheeseee..........theyre just kids...........BOOO...........
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking about this same thing today because we're moving into a house in a neighborhood with kids. I think I'm just gonna get them candy though, I was thinking of doing fun things like halloween cupcakes but while we are a harmless looking young couple who is obviously NOT out to poison your kids, I still think people would feel uncomfortable with that. I think i would unless Iknew them -- plus cupcakes are messy.

Still thinking about it. I think the little toys/stickers/etc is fun -- temporary tattoos are awesome when you are a kid. I can't believe someone suggested PRUNES somewhere, what were they thinking? Totally delusional. I saw suggestions of trail mix and cereal bars too - I mean sure those are healthier but really? No kid is going to want the same healthy snacks that get pushed on them by their parents.

What do people think about packaging chocolate covered fruit into little bags? Not that its really HEALTHY but its a little more natural.... I love the stuff they sell at trader joes. would you think I was trying to poison your kid if I gave you a bag of those? Rice crispie treats in bags? Less messy than cupcakes.

Bah. I'll probably just end up getting candy.