What's one thing that attributed to your weight gain?

Options

Replies

• lmethven
    Options
    Sorry for me it is two main things, it is portion sizing and using food as a comforter rather than dealing with issues.

A combination of those two, led to me not exercising etc. I always said I was big because I love my food, in reality it was not a particular food but how food made me feel :-(
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Booze. :(
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am posting to remind myself I was going the wrong way on a one way street! When I found MFP in January 08 I was close to 170+ pounds. I was miserable and it wasn't the weight itself, as my then husband loved me as I was, it was groaning when I rolled out of my bed with no energy at just 47 years old!

When I had had enough, in about June of 08, I stumbled back on this site and thought, huh-what the heck.

I posted all my food, then added in some exercise, then started listening to people like Banks/Boss giving me info on how ot do it better. I made friends with some real losers..........100+ pounds to be specific!! What an inspiration, I had 50 to lose, they had lost over 100!!!!

Now to the weight GAIN.............I had lost 36 pounds total, was fit and happy and healthy. Then came the excuses. EXCUSES are the cause of my weight gain. Ok, I had a stroke, heart surgery, they closed my office of 18 yrs and they took away the job I loved and had worked for all those years, I was blessed with a new job in the same company with ppl I adore, but it is hard and not the job I worked for, I was not happy at home, finally moved out and in ALL of this turned FIFTY years old!!

Holy crap, what a year!

BUT>>................... what it comes down to is excuses. Exercise and healthy eating in all of this would have made it BETTER. I would have had more energy, felt better about myself, showed confidence to others and would not feel so bad about gaining 10 pounds. Worse than the 10 pounds is the condition of my muscles. :sad:

:laugh: I am working on all of this now. It is OK because each day is a new beginning.

I am NOT waiting until tomorrow, after the party, or until Monday. TODAY is the day. This minute is the time. RIGHT NOW!

Thanks for posting this thread!!
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Me Myself & I.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Forcing myself to stay in a relationship to "make it work" because it was the only thing I knew at the time. I was trapped, and I found other sources of "happiness" I guess.
    {{{{{hugs}}}}}}
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight since I started working at 18. Travelling to work I used to have to get off a bus and walk through a shopping centre to get to the train station, I very quickly developed a habit for going via McD's in the shopping centre and getting a breakfast on my way to work every morning. That developed into just overeating in general.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Me, myself and I
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Me Myself & I.

I would have thought this would be everyone's answer :/
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'm not really sure what to blame, but I think there might be some genetics involved. My grandmother on my father's side, my father and I all have the type of body that builds muscle easily, but also gains weight easily. My grandmother was most definitely overweight, my father jogs and exercises like a demon (10km every other day and swimming on non-jogging days, plus biking often). He's in good shape because of it, but you'd expect him to be super skinny and he's not.

I was always active, dancing ballet during the winter and swimming in the summer on top of running around playing tag, climbing trees etc. We ate pretty healthy growing up, mostly brown bread, small portions etc. Somehow though, when I stopped growing at age 12, (I'm 5'4'') I was already 120 pounds!

In my teenage years I was dancing three or four times a week and swimming on the swim team two or three times a week. I'll admit, I definitely feel my meal portions were too big when I look back, but not huge by any means and I never really binged or ate super unhealthy. Despite that, I gained 5 more pounds between 12 and 17.

Then I quit ballet and gained 6 pounds. Since then, I've barely gained any weight. My university doctor even joked about how 4 years in a row I weighed exactly 131 pounds. (Several years later, that was still my weight until I moved countries). Unfortunately, I've also had a real hard time losing weight despite starting jogging routines etc. 4 months of jogging (working up from 2km to 4km every other day) would result in a 2 pounds loss. It didn't seem worth the effort when my weight didn't really seemed to be going up and I was in a "healthy" weight range.

However, now I live in a country where it doesn't snow much in winter so I can continue to jog all year. Also, I can count my calories better with MFP. I am determined that this time I will finally get rid of those 16 pounds and more!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Having no clue how hard it would be to change my habits once i did gain...being lazy, eating everything in site while pregnant...oh and *kitten**n fast food!!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    quiting drugs
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Lack of portion control and lack of exercise!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Big portion sizes. That's it. I have always eaten fairly healthy, lots of vegetables, not many sweets, etc. but I love me a big plate of food!
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thinking a low fat, minimal meat--"lets use meat replacements" (those terrible fake meats)...was the answer. Then my love for baking added to that as well. AND I've had 4 babies and 'ate for 2' and gained weight. Always lost it after, but still negatively effected me in the long run.

So to sum it up, eating the wrong foods because I was grossly miseducated.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    1) My mum starting work when i was 11, thus not being able to stop me eating too much :P

2) McDonalds breakfast on the way to work, snacks through the morning ofc, pub lunch, snacks in the afternoon ofc, then a KFC for dinner. Then snacks before bed. That might have had an impact on my weight i'm guessing....

3) Sugar in my tea. 3 sugars in my daily 10 cups of tea...and i never even thought about it. Thank god I'm on the sweeteners now, and it's working like a charm!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Completely ignoring labels like the one in the OP and not giving a damn about proper portions. I'm a foodie and wanted to eat what I wanted to eat! Also, stress/emotional eating, especially for the last year or so until I figured out it was time to stop the madness. My hubby lost a very close friend (he was my friend too but they were like family long before I came into the picture) and my way of comforting is to provide yummy food and drink - we had a lot of take-out and comfort foods and coffee brandy... Makes me cringe a bit when I think about how I used to eat on a daily basis...
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You must mean contributed to weight gain. In my case it was just eating a lot of starchy carbs (pasta, pizza, bread) and sugar in the form of candy bars lol For a while I didn't even think twice of what or how much I ate.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Dairy! Particularly cheese. I cut these out of my diet about 10 years ago but I still on and off ate chocolate and cheese. I eat goat and soya products but sparingly.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Oh and stupid sized portions.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Menopause!!!!!!!!!!