Poor female self-image caused by?

_David_
_David_ Posts: 476 Member
i was having this argument with this friend of mine... she believes that men are the reason for girls having eating disorders and overall poor self image because we all want girls to look like models... i, on the other hand, believe that it was the women and gay guys who control the fashion industry that started this trend only recently... and by recently i mean that for thousands of years guys have liked girls with larger features because they are able to have more babies... even up to marilyn monroe who had a healthy amount of chunk on her... I for one like a little meat on a woman's bones, nothing is more unattractive that a stick figure.

now girls today sees this female run fashion industry with coke *kitten* models and think thats what theyre supposed to look like... guys may be watching this too and think thats what theyre supposed to think is hot, but it is an effect rather than a cause

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    As nice as it is to have a single scapegoat, why can't there be more than one reason to more than one person?
    -wtk
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    I totally agree with your side of that arguement. Women should have a little meat on them. But they need to be healthy just like men do. Men don't need to be super jocks with muscles out the wazoo either. Just fit and toned for both sexes.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    significant other and I actually got into a conversation about something similar tonight.

The idea of what men think is hot, and models.
    Two totally different things.

Models are what women think we need to look like, because it's shoved down our throat. I think at times it can be a bit irresponsible.
    They show us pictures of some woman who just had a baby and put it on US Weekly "HOW SHE LOST THE WEIGHT" well, she has a trainer and a dietitian and it's her job to be a size zero.

I went NUTS trying to do that, trying to look like that.
    Women are very very hard on themselves.
    I wish the modeling industry would use women who look more "average" in figure.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    the only reason why people feel crappy about themselves or self image is because: they feel like crap from carrying around excess weight or two, EVERYONE feels the need to be the "ideal" image due to MANY MANY YEARS of the sterotypical perfect image. yes it is great to feel healthy and be in shape and just do it for you, but its sort of hard to feel good about yourself when you have media images of nothing but hot bodies plastered everywhere and then when a "normal" celebrity comes unders scrutiny over how theire celulite is getting out of control, it gets annoying. you either succumb to that image or you can become an individual and just ignore the hype about looking good and sexy in everything you do and wear. i would say females are just more under pressure to look better now then say 50 years ago. but still back then, in every age, overweight people were made fun of and that can cause self esteem issues now but its more so now than before.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Well, if you're going to blame it on the fashion industry, blame it on Twiggy -- she was the first. Before her, all the models were curvy. Then she came along and was so different that everyone wanted to be like her. :noway:

But I don't think it's a single reason, or a single person. Poor body image and the quest for the perfect body have been around for millennia. If they hadn't, women wouldn't have been lacing themselves into bone corsets that restricted their breathing, or squeezing their feet into too-small boots, or binding their feet, or wearing those horrible bustles on their dresses.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Replying before you get reported again!

I just want woman to look as good as my wife. But she is the only one! What I find sad is that my daughter is in fashion, and her sister got into the 800 calorie treadmill runs everyday and living on salad. Worse, they are both smart kids which has way more value in the long run. Our role models are screwed up!

Eating disorders seem to be a control thing. It basically says this part of my life I can do what I want with, and you (whatever authroity) can't make me do anything. Of course it ends up in addictive behavior.
  • ButlerMom
    ButlerMom Posts: 23 Member
    the phrase "women should have more meat on their bones" is just wrong...comes off to me like your talking about a cow or other animal...just my inital thought on the topic....
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    I think it's a people thing, not a gender thing. Men have as much pressure to look like Hollywood as women do. It's just that men fill a role that is not supposed to complain about it.

I won't lie. One of my main motivators in losing weight and working out is to be attractive to the opposite sex. I was married and ended up divorced because of my weight, and it's hard to find a date when you are overweight and I'm at a point in my life where I'd like a chance too, but I realized I had to work on myself first before that could happen.

Physical image is what western culture fixates on. It is, in my opinion, the single most important facet in your life when it comes to socializing as it represents what people can tangibly see.

So I'd say poor female self image is caused by the same things as poor male self image... we are bombarded with images of what people are "supposed to look like" on tv and in the movies and on magazines, so that if you fall short of that (which 95% of us do) you feel that you are not worth as much, and to be fair society as a whole tends to dispose of people that are "less" on a regular basis so that contributes as well.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I have poor self image from the comments my husband makes about how hot and beautiful some celebs are-guess cause he doesn't say it to me it gives me that poor imagery
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    the only reason why people feel crappy about themselves or self image is because: they feel like crap from carrying around excess weight or two, EVERYONE feels the need to be the "ideal" image due to MANY MANY YEARS of the sterotypical perfect image. yes it is great to feel healthy and be in shape and just do it for you, but its sort of hard to feel good about yourself when you have media images of nothing but hot bodies plastered everywhere and then when a "normal" celebrity comes unders scrutiny over how theire celulite is getting out of control, it gets annoying. you either succumb to that image or you can become an individual and just ignore the hype about looking good and sexy in everything you do and wear. i would say females are just more under pressure to look better now then say 50 years ago. but still back then, in every age, overweight people were made fun of and that can cause self esteem issues now but its more so now than before.

I disagree with this. Women who never carried lots of extra weight have the same problem.
    But it is in our own heads that we cannot ignore the fact the fashion industry thinks giraffes with boobs look better in clothes than anybody else.
  • dsjohndrow
    I wish the modeling industry would use women who look more "average" in figure.

They actually tried and sales dropped. It's all about adverstising and money.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Photoshop.

No, really. Photoshop.

Every ad, every billboard, every magazine has been heavily 'shopped. It's not obvious (most of the time), so one is lead to believe that those people actually do look like that. Celebrities and other people in the media are used by society as a marker of what one should aspire to be. Men have Calvin Cline models with their millions of abs. That is attainable. Pretty much anybody can get a 6-pack through work and dedication.

Women, otoh, have impossible goals to reach. There are a select number of women who can naturally reach the pedestal. The overwhelming majority of women will find it physically impossible to look like someone off of a magazine cover. Those women on the magazines don't even look like the picture. Far too much Photoshop has morphed women into inhuman things.

When you set physically unattainable goals, which is essentially what society has done through media outlets, then you're just going to fail over and over. Then you're a failure. Then you hate your body because you're not perfect like women in magazines.

While I think you have a bit of a point on who is controlling the fashion industry, I think that runs secondary to the media's role in setting unattainable goals of beauty for women.
  • dsjohndrow
    I have poor self image from the comments my husband makes about how hot and beautiful some celebs are-guess cause he doesn't say it to me it gives me that poor imagery

Fire him!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    i believe women are much more criticaly about womens shape then men.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    i was having this argument with this friend of mine... she believes that men are the reason for girls having eating disorders and overall poor self image because we all want girls to look like models... i, on the other hand, believe that it was the women and gay guys who control the fashion industry that started this trend only recently... and by recently i mean that for thousands of years guys have liked girls with larger features because they are able to have more babies... even up to marilyn monroe who had a healthy amount of chunk on her... I for one like a little meat on a woman's bones, nothing is more unattractive that a stick figure.

now girls today sees this female run fashion industry with coke *kitten* models and think thats what theyre supposed to look like... guys may be watching this too and think thats what theyre supposed to think is hot, but it is an effect rather than a cause

It's not the men that make the girls want to look like models. It's stems from the girls head. My man prefers some meat on my bones. And all the men of my past preferred it. You need something to grab onto right? (more cushion for....) I have no interest in looking like a skeleton with skin. Men that only look at the body and are only interested in thin are usually pretty shallow anyway and not worth the time.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    the phrase "women should have more meat on their bones" is just wrong...comes off to me like your talking about a cow or other animal...just my inital thought on the topic....

Oh, please... it's an often used phrase. the OP meant nothing by it.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    As nice as it is to have a single scapegoat, why can't there be more than one reason to more than one person?
    -wtk

This.

There is no one pinpoinatble answer. Its a combination of society, media, personal interactions, daily living, jealousy, regret, genetics, instinct, and personal preference
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    It's definitely women that give women low self image or make themselves think they need to be something better. Luckily I have my fiance to keep me in check and he is to stop me if I get borderline too thin. I don't want that. I want to be healthy. Just like I always say, all those crazy clothes and outfits, women don't dress for men, they dress for women. No guy cares if you're as skinny as some model or if you're wearing the latest fashions. And they would rather have you slightly chunky than stick thin... in my opinion anyways, and from asking plenty of guys. Or women see the way women are sexualized everywhere and *think* that all men want what people are advertising, and if they aren't that, they find themselves "gross".
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I have yet to meet a man who thinks every woman should look like a fashion model. I certainly don't look like one, and even at my thinnest, I didn't. But I've had plenty of boyfriends and only one every criticized my looks (and he was a mega jerk in so many ways, he doesn't count).

I don't think there's a simple answer to this question, but I very firmly believe that women (in general) are much harsher critics of each other than men (in general) are of women.
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    I think a good proportion of women are to blame, and sad to say I can include myself in that. Its usually women that judge other women on their appearance, size, what their wearing etc, be it through the papers, magazines or just general girlie gossip in the office or with friends. We're our own worse enemies I think, we feed the believe that we are unattractive or not worthy ourselves alot of the time.
This discussion has been closed.