Other people's odd ideas about healthy.

Options
124»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    pasta, cheese and bacon and potato are not 'unhealthy' but high calorie.
    and yes most people dont realise just how different a bowl of pasta is and a bowl of vegetables is calorie-wise.

Pasta is unhealthy if it's not whole grain.
    Cheese is not unhealthy but if it's whole milk cheese it should be eaten in moderation since that saturated fat in milk has been shown to raise your LDL levels.
    Bacon is unhealthy. It a processed meat loaded with saturated fat and sodium.

Saturated fat is not the enemy.

And there is fresh bacon that one can get from local farmers, it is called Fresh or slab bacon which is uncured.

The saturated fat in milk products has been shown to raise LDL levels, so I avoid them as if they were an enemy. Some saturated fats are bad, others are good. As for the bacon, it depends on where you live as to whether uncured bacon is available, but I'd bet that when most people say "bacon" they are talking about the cured, high sodium, high fat, store bought bacon.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I used to do a lot of this crap. It is quite interesting how someone can pick and choose fad claims to fit their wants and call it a 'diet'. I never did lose any weight on that sort of diet, either. lol
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I think it's justification. My ex-husband claimed his breakfast was healthy because it only costs 99 cents at Speedway - red hot smokies
    Everyone knows the cheaper the meal, the healthier it is, right?

I love this philosophy.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    This always clears things up for me: I don't worry about what other people are doing.
    And... THUNK! SK drops a wisdom nugget.

The rest of us will continue to dedicate our lives to the cataloging of others' wrongs...
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If that logic works, you might as well break the snickers and shake out the calories!
  • hml1976
    Options
    I have uncured bacon (our Whole Foods carries it) several times a week for breakfast (80 cal for 2 pieces). I'm willing to give up a lot but lord save me from a life without bacon :)
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    At my old job, my boss walked in on me eating a tupperware full of corn. She asked, "are you on a diet or something?" No... I just like how corn tastes and the fact that it's healthy for me. Some people are just silly.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    This always clears things up for me: I don't worry about what other people are doing.
    And... THUNK! SK drops a wisdom nugget.

The rest of us will continue to dedicate our lives to the cataloging of others' wrongs...
    Catalog them. Just don't be confused by them. I've got catalogs for days.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My mom will help herself to a big bowl of Cheez-Its stating they are healthy because they are baked and not fried.

Then later she'll have a snack of Cheetos, her treat for having had that healthy bowl of Cheez-Its earlier in the day.
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I now realize how clueless I was before MFP. I have even lost almost 30 pounds on weight watchers but I counted points and didn't really learn anything. MFP opened my eyes and made me realize that what I thought was healthy was really not!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    OP: you should really just suggest they come and check out this site/app. As others have said, it isn't until you start to log can you see where cals are really coming from. And I'm sure when MFP will normally give them the old 1200/day and they see how many slices of pizza that is, that healthier choices become a much better option.

In saying that. IIFYM :tongue:
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    An ex bf (from an Italian background) claimed a breakfast of a piece of cake (like pannetone) and coffee was a good start to the day.
    Yes all those sugars and no fibre are a brilliant start...idiot.

Also had someone I worked with who when they returned from a smoke break which triggered an asthma attack from me that her child's DOCTOR TOLD her that smoking (her) was good for her young son's lungs as it would make him cough up phlegm.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @ChrisDavey: i have mentioned i used MFP, one of them has it on her iphone so at least they know i they are interested further down the line.

There are just so any different thoughts on eating. I live with a nutritionist and was discussing protein and carbs with her last. In her opinion, you should eat them seperately as they both require different enzymes to digest them. Apparently, the carbs are digested first leaving the protein to effectivly rot in your gut until it is dealt with.

Thoughts?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Myth. Although separation if macros is normally re carbs and fat.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    Evelyn,,, as my great grandfather used to say...." EVERYONE has a right to their own opinion....HOWEVER----that doesnt make them right"

I think you may have discovered that on this thread....

I agree with some of the posters..you can lose wt and eat junk and you can be an overweight Vegan..... which is better????
    I dont know... but some things people do in the name of health and weight loss...frankly the SCARE the daylights out of me:noway: ...because I have seen the results come throught the ER's..:sick:

good luck to all on their journey to find the healthiest way to be the best they can be..
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert and i would never claim to be. I eat biscuits and other less nutritious foods but i also try to balance it with the other good things i eat.
    However, i started a new job on monday and every single girl in the office (all four of them..) are 'dieting together' which is great but i'm trying hard not to watch them eat pasta, cheese, bacon and jacket potato for lunch as a way to cut calories right now. And one of them had pizza for breakfast but it was ok because it had sweetcorn on so it was healthier. The mind boggles!
    Do they really think they are eating food which will help them lose weight? I'm really muddled by this.

and yes most people dont realise just how different a bowl of pasta is and a bowl of vegetables is calorie-wise.

so true. Although I consider pasta very unhealthy. It's a refined carb. And those carbs just make you "hungry" again in a couple of hours.

isn't wholemeal pasta better for you? i eat it occasionally.

Is that whole grain? I would say no it's still processed flour. But occasionally is just fine if your body can handle it. I follow Primal Blueprint - If you stay on track 80% of the time then the other 20% can be used to eat what you enjoy. I learned by removing all grains - and legumes and milk - that they weren't being kind to my body. Now I can't stand pasta and bread (Spaghetti squash is great with meat and sauce on top)
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    My FIL is a Type 2 diabetic. I will never forget going out to eat and when the waitress told him the side of the day was brown rice, he said he can't eat rice because of his diabetes and said he'd have the mac and cheese instead. :huh:

Sounds like my diabetic brother. LOL!!
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

Pasta is unhealthy if it's not whole grain.
    Cheese is not unhealthy but if it's whole milk cheese it should be eaten in moderation since that saturated fat in milk has been shown to raise your LDL levels.
    Bacon is unhealthy. It a processed meat loaded with saturated fat and sodium.

The appearance of LDL falls into two distinct patterns or traits. Pattern A and Pattern B. Pattern A is dominated by large fluffy LDL and implies a low-risk of heart disease; pattern B is the dangerous one, with predominantly small, dense LDL; Pattern B is accompanies by high triglycerides and low HDL. Pattern A is not...
    Though pattern A and B traits appear to be strongly influenced by genetics, diet and other lifestyle factors play a critical role. In the late 1980s, Krauss (Ronald Krauss) began a series of clinical trials to explore the association between diet and the dangerous small, dense LDL. The results of his seven trials have been consistent: the lower the fat in the diet and the higher the carbohydrates, the smaller and denser the LDL and the more likely the atherogenic pattern B appears; on a diet that Krauss calls the 'average american diet,' with 35% of the calories from fat, one in three men will have the atherogenic pattern B profile. On a diet of 46% fat the proportion drops: only one man in every five manifests the atherogenic profile. On a diet of only 10% fat, of the kind advocated by diet doctors Nathan Pritkin and Dean Ornish, two out of every three men will have small dense LDL and, as a result, a predicted threefold higher risk of heart disease. The same pattern holds true in women and in children, but the percentages with small dense LDL are lower. Krauss and his colleagues even tested the effect of types of fat on these lipoproteins, and reported that, the more saturated fat in the diet, the larger and fluffier the LDL - a beneficial effect. (This suggests that saturated fat elevates LDL-cholesterol levels in part by increasing the amount of cholesterol in the LDL, and so making larger and fluffier LDL to begin with, rather than by increasing the number of LDL particles or by increasing the number of small, dense LDL particles.)
    Good Calories, Bad Calories; Chapter Nine; Triglycerides and the complications of cholesterol.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Funny, pasta is probably the healthiest thing i eat! Just normal, nothing on it sauce wise, with a bit of extra lean beef :)
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Each to their own, there's nowt as queer as folk i guess!