36 lbs in one week??

Options
Did anyone watch the biggest loser last night?? Last nights episode had a guy who got on the scale and lost 36 lbs in one week?? That just cant be healthy!! WOW!!!

Replies

• lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    OMG how much! thats just unreal...............
  • butterflimom
    Options
    Wow, I hate that I missed it.
    I can't imagine that could be healthy, but I know that I wish some weeks I could wake up 36 pounds skinnier :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    All I can say is the man could have been carrying around a ton of water weight!
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    OMG that's insane!! And no, can't be healthy! x
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Milk of Magnesia diet?? Has to be water weight and maybe a colon cleanse or something. You'd be hard pressed to lose that much fat in a week if you were burning it with a blowtorch!
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I watched it too and was shocked!! but the more you weigh the faster the weight will come off..they use to eat probably over 2500 calories a day and not working out too working out 6hrs./day and a very strict diet! so i can see how they drop the weight so fast..For me the 1st 10lbs came off quick but now that im close to my goal weight its taking me FOREVER to loose these last 2-3lbs :sad:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch for several reasons...i'm sure the guy was very overweight, but I don't really approve of the way the show does things. They probably have doctors and paramedics standing by 24 hours a day in case people collapse for a variety of reasons. I know these people are in dire need of a change or their current lifestyle will probably soon kill them, but still. I think they take the extreme in the other direction to try and make it exciting for tv.
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i think they have a strict diet the follow and all they do is excersice all day at the ranch so it could be possible..
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Crazy! But you know, if you know that you are going on the show, would you not eat like a pig and drink tons of water before your weigh-in if you could? That way you would weigh more and lose more.
  • AradiaRue
    AradiaRue Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is water weight, and what is healthier, losing 36 pounds or caring it around? I think at this point on his life, the faster that much weight gets off the better, and as long as he is exercising and eating the right things, and is monitored by a doctor then it should be fine....I mean I don't think The Biggest Loser People would put people in Harms way if they didn't think it wasn't safe.

10874003.png
    I'm Getting off the Rollercoaster Ride!!!
    Heaviest weight and at start of this Journey: 294
    Joining My Fitness Pal Sept, 2011: 243
    First Small-Goal: 239
    Next Small-Goals: 229, 219, 209
    Mini Major Goal: 199
    Then the Next Small-Goals : 189, 179, 169, 159, 149, 139
    Ultimate Goal: 129
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    he must have cut off a foot or something!:laugh:
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can't possibly see how 36 pounds in one week is "real". We are talking 126k calories!

They workout 6 + hours per day. BUT, consider that those guys were 400+ when they orginally weighed in. On the orginial weigh in, had they gorged on water/food? Remember, part of this is game play.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I don't watch the show anymore. It's unrealistic and unhealthy to lose so much so fast. A huge number of contestants gain it all back. They faked someone finishing a marathon in one episode a couple years back. Women can never compete directly with men because we lose weight slower. It's all about pounds, not body fat, so losing muscle counts just as much. Meh.

To each his own.
  • jimmie25
    Options
    sounds fake.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    When you are 400 lbs or more, losing 36 lbs in one week is difficult but not out of the ordinary, especially if that is their first real week of VERY strenuous activity coupled with a VERY restricted diet.

It's when you get down closer to your goal weight that weight loss slows.

The people on Biggest Loser are typically morbidly obese. As such, week 1 numbers SHOULD be high for their weight loss.
  • statia152
    Options
    Milk of Magnesia diet?? Has to be water weight and maybe a colon cleanse or something. You'd be hard pressed to lose that much fat in a week if you were burning it with a blowtorch!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Then you have people coming here and discouraged that they only lose 1-2 pounds a week. I hate that TV show
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I watched it! Both hubby and I looked at each other and were like WHAAAT!???? Not healthy but they have their meals prepared for them and exercise non-stop. Plus, it was the first week so I'm thinking they had a TON of water weight weight, too. Def not striving to lose 36lbs in one week myself.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    He was over 400lbs though and it was the first week. I lost 4 lbs my first week and my fiance lost 8lbs.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    It is discouraging in some ways, I agree. 36 pounds and I would surpass my weight loss goal!