36 lbs in one week??

Options

Replies

• fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think they load up on food before the first weigh-in, which adds probably up to 10 lbs. Factor in his sex, current weight (over 400 lbs), water weight, BL calorie deficit, and the metabolic shift, it's believable I guess. But it's still very hard for me to watch BL when I am cleaning up my own eating. I always feel the urge to compare my losses to theirs.
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't care how much weight you have to lose, there is nothing healthy about losing 36lbs in one week. That can completely throw your electrolytes off and cause all kinds of organ system shut down. Oh I'm sure that there are doctors and paramedics close by, but how irresponsible. What about the poor guy at home that was so motivated by that, that he tries something as completely unsafe and unhealthy as this, plain irresponsible. A better route would be to go a little slower and delve into what got them so obese and the sensible diet that they consume on the ranch, share that with the viewers instead of all the drama.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    Oh my!! 36 lbs. Well, they have trainers and they just started the program. He is a man and I don't how much he weighs but WOW good for him!!
  • daisy0482
    daisy0482 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can't possibly see how 36 pounds in one week is "real". We are talking 126k calories!

They workout 6 + hours per day. BUT, consider that those guys were 400+ when they orginally weighed in. On the orginial weigh in, had they gorged on water/food? Remember, part of this is game play.

TRUE!!! never thought of that!!!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Its been awhile so I can't be sure that this is accurate, but their weigh ins I understood weren't really every week? Yes viewers see an episode every week but in real life when they were filming many months ago they weighed in every two weeks or so, then by the magic of television its edited?

Its television, its written to be dramatic. You do realize they are told or *encouraged* on what to say? You don't think they really promote Subway or Progresso soup all on their own?

I don't religiously watch it but I'll occasionally watch for fun but no, I don't believe everything I see or they tell me.
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - and it's TV!!! A week is not a week. None of these people are dealing with real life while on this ranch, and so on.

Don't try it at home and take it for what it is.
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that the show is a fat persons "get rich quick" scheme. What happens on the show is completely unrealistic for ordinary people who don't have armies of trainers, people to cook their food etc. Education is key to losing weight; understanding what got you here in the first place and instilling habits that will last a lifetime. I don't even bother to watch anymore because what they show and endorse is unhealthy and potentially dangerous for very obese people. Okay...nuff said.
  • daisy0482
    daisy0482 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i think thats why its hard to keep it off!! they lose it in the most unrealistic manner!! You will never live like that when you get home!! Pat on the back to us who are living and working in the real world getting amazing results that we can keep up for the rest of our lives!!! Go MFP's GO!!!! :))
  • mommawonder
    Options
    sounds fake.

I agree. I heard an interview of a woman who was on an earlier season and she basically said that the whole thing is fake. They sign contracts basically agreeing to be tortured and that's exactly what happens. Seriously unhealthy practices, forcing people to workout with serious injuries, and a "week" can be any various amount of time in reality. I don't buy it for a minute.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Having watch 19 series from UK, US, and Australia, there are a few things to remember.

1) When they start they are ofc very obese, and have had years of fatty,salty diets, and as such have tons of water weight. Losing 30+lbs in the first week isnt uncommon with that much salt.

2) They are working out full time. They have 3-4 sessions with their trainers, and we see bits of that. We don't see the other 6 hours they do off camera. I remember one episode of the australian version, where it showed Sam's bodybug totals by 8pm. Calories in: 1586, calories out: 5797. They do this 7 days a week. Many people just dont realise how much work they actually put doing it full time

3) As many have said, losing so much weight so fast isn't the best way of doing it, ever noticed they start wearing their shirts at weigh in about 2/3rds the way through? Lots of loose skin...

4) However, the message it puts over about no banding, nipping, tucking, lipo etc is a very good one. Sensible diet and lots of exercise. Sure, some of them put the weight back on again afterwards, most noticeably the S1 US winner Ryan, who weighs the same now as he did when he started, but lots of them keep it off too. Most put on about 1st, and then stay there as its maintainable.

5) As for "torturing" them, the trainers push them. FAR, FAR harder than they personally thought they could do. And most of them actually cope with it and get stronger for it. The trainers also break them into tears, which is a good thing as its the only way to get the real root of why they got that way.

6) Dont think you could ever lose the numbers they do! The show just shows what is possible if you did it full time and to the extreme!

I remember Jillian once saying in an interview "2lbs a week isn't necessarily the healthiest, but its the most realistic for most people"
    Education is key to losing weight; understanding what got you here in the first place and instilling habits that will last a lifetime.

And this is exactly what they do, and they keep stressing it. Sure, working out for 8 hours a day wont happen in the real world, but the food choices and the basic mechanics will.
    what they show and endorse is unhealthy and potentially dangerous for very obese people

What, a healthy diet and exercise is dangerous?

The overall message is the right one though.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    When you are 400 lbs or more, losing 36 lbs in one week is difficult but not out of the ordinary, especially if that is their first real week of VERY strenuous activity coupled with a VERY restricted diet.

It's when you get down closer to your goal weight that weight loss slows.

The people on Biggest Loser are typically morbidly obese. As such, week 1 numbers SHOULD be high for their weight loss.

I agree with this ^ ^. Those people have been doing absolutely nothing for a long time, and its a ton of water weight too. Also, somewhere I read that a "week" of taping on Biggest Loser, is actually more like 10 days (I know that's still crazy..but a few extra days adds up).
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You definitely can't believe what you see on tv, or any type of reality show.

Worked at a fly-in camp a few years back in Northern Ontario and a Canadian Fishing show came to film there. What you didn't see was half a dozen boats not on camera, with men fishing (guys who worked at camp) with rods supplied by the show. Whenever someone caught a decently big fish, they'd swap rods with the host....start filming and he'd begin talking to the camera, then ACT like he just got a bite,and reel it in. :indifferent:

Second exeperience.
    You know those restaurant shows (diners, driveins, dives type) where the host just walks in, starts talkin to people about their meals, etc. All setup too. They close for a few days of fliming, and what you don't see behind the camera are the lights, crew, guys with a rough script, monitors, mics, etc. Half the restaurant is basically turned into a stuido. When we showed up for the shoot it was basically 'youre gonna be sitting here....and youll be eating this and that'. They cue the waitress comes to serve ya, they start fliming and act like its actually happening naturally.

Those are my 2 experiences with 'real' tv ^ . They do a lot to make it look real, and you'd never know otherwise.
  • pat2552
    Options
    While I enjoy Biggest Loser, their weight loss is in a controled environment, excercising 5-8 hours a day and the first week is more like 10-12 days. Wait till next week, and see how the numbers change.
    Biggest loser is not realistic normal weight loss.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    He was over 400lbs though and it was the first week. I lost 4 lbs my first week and my fiance lost 8lbs.

makes more sense knowing how much he started at.. and the fact that he said people training him to exercise and eat right.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    They are over 400lbs and are used to eating over 3000 calories and the only exercise is to walk to the car or refrigerator its not too far off to think that in their first week they probably restricted their calories to 2000 of very healthy foods (veggies, fruit, protien) and they exercise 6hrs a day and drink LOTS of water.

The history of this show most of the very heavy contestants all lose well into the 2-digits (20+lbs) and then week two the numbers are considerably lower b/c their bodies are adjusting to the new exercise regime and diet.

30+lbs does seem high, but there are many factors to consider and they are all monitored by doctors; not necessarily "unhealthy". More unhealthy to be over 400lbs!
  • LeSsOvMe
    Options
    Well you have to keep in mind they are going from most likely sitting at home doing no exercise at all, and eating crappy. They come on the show and have crazy intense work outs and are eating a healthy diet that first weigh in is going to be huge. I was thinking the same thing last night though 36 lbs is pretty drastic.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Thats amazing!! When certain people are at the weights they're at, I think its ok...The workouts they do are probably severely intense and they're on a very strict diet..I love that show!
  • bltmgray
    bltmgray Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    All I can say is the man could have been carrying around a ton of water weight!

I totally agree. It had to have been all water weight. He'll slow down in the next few episodes I'm sure.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    36 lb. is a small percentage of their weight, it would be like us losing 3 or 4 lb. in one week, which on the first week of a diet is possible, so i think this is okay and not "unhealthy". These people work out for HOURS each day as well, so keep that in mind too. I love the show and I think what they are doing is healthy, just not practical, but its great to see these people getting help :-)
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    While I enjoy Biggest Loser, their weight loss is in a controled environment, excercising 5-8 hours a day and the first week is more like 10-12 days. Wait till next week, and see how the numbers change.
    Biggest loser is not realistic normal weight loss.

I don't know if believe or not, I do watch the show everyweek and I love it to me is a motivation to do what I have to do to loose the weight I have to loose. But 36lbs was a little odd!!! I made wounder if this show is real!!!! can't wait for next week and see how well or how poor he does!!!

6540321.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter