I am offended

13»

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    I agree that debating is fine. It's when the debate gets personal that it's not so fine anymore. Ie: Your position is lame is a LOT different than YOU are lame.

Whilst logically you are right unfortunately most people are far from rational in an internet bunfight, errrr, I mean debate.

What some people hear when they hear the statement "your position is lame" is in fact "You are too stupid to come up with a position that is correct or viable and consequently not lame"

The most convincing arguments are ones which make no explicit inferences in this regard. They are factual, informative and allow the reader to draw their own conclusions over what has been discussed. You don't have to be derogatory about the person OR their views to be persuasive.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    As everywhere in the world, you can argue about anything. Personally, a reasonable debate about something allowed within the rules of the forum (for example arguing about eating back calories is fine, arguing about what religion or political party is better, is not). Its just when users start to ridicule the person behind the post, as opposed to disagreeing with one of their view points
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    I agree that debating is fine. It's when the debate gets personal that it's not so fine anymore. Ie: Your position is lame is a LOT different than YOU are lame.

Whilst logically you are right unfortunately most people are far from rational in an internet bunfight, errrr, I mean debate.

What some people hear when they hear the statement "your position is lame" is in fact "You are too stupid to come up with a position that is correct or viable and consequently not lame"

The most convincing arguments are ones which make no explicit inferences in this regard. They are factual, informative and allow the reader to draw their own conclusions over what has been discussed. You don't have to be derogatory about the person OR their views to be persuasive.
    Factual...informative...this is the interweb. Sheesh!
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    All the good comments got deleted.
    w...e...r...d only because mine was one of them.

mine got axed too.... my first deleted comment.... that i know of.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Some opinions are so stupid they actually hurt people. For example people that oppose vaccinations, etc...
  • myofibril

offendedcat.jpg

The world will never be the same now I have a photobucket account...
  • binary_jester
    All the good comments got deleted.
    w...e...r...d only because mine was one of them.

mine got axed too.... my first deleted comment.... that i know of.
    The cherry has been popped!
  • binary_jester

offendedcat.jpg

The world will never be the same now I have a photobucket account...
    Looks blank to me, but photobucket is blocked here at work. That's why i use imgur
  • myofibril
    Looks blank to me, but photobucket is blocked here at work. That's why i use imgur

imgur! Thanks mate. I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of that site. I think you mentioned it previously on here if I recall. I will migrate my photos over...
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I think the point is this. When someone starts a thread with "Do X, it works! Y is really bad, dont do it! Z does this, no doubt" people get annoyed as either there is no proof, or is just plain wrong. If they said "I do X, it works FOR ME, it might work for you too" etc, then its their own view.

It's when people try to pass off personal experience or preference as fact that annoys people.
  • at least you left if and not reported it. lol :wink:

:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.