Dr. Oz........

Options
13»

Replies

• rebeccaME207
    rebeccaME207 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    hes great but it can get to be a little too much! i asked my dr about some vitamins he suggested n she said just work on diet n exercise!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i watched his show from two days ago on eliminating stubborn belly fat and he also mentioned low sodium miso soup, golden berries and vitamin b12.. love dr. oz!!!

and what was his advice? you can't spot reduce and the only way besides surgery is a caloric deficit and cutting bf

Actually, you can spot reduce visceral fat with the right diet. And the first place I read that was not from Dr. Oz. It's been talked about for years now and there have been several studies showing that things like omega-3s specifically target visceral (belly) fat.

I don't take everything the man says as gospel, but then again, most of what I've heard him talk about is stuff I've read or heard elsewhere from very reliable sources.

He's not a dietician, but he consults with them and he knows how to read and interpret medical data.

And his overal weight loss advice is and always has been: Eat less and healthier and move more. I can't seem to find a problem with that.
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    I take Dr Oz with a grain of salt...but does he really need to bring on all the diseased organs? Scare tactics methinks.

Although, I think I will try the Chia Seed thing. Can't hurt, might help.
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    i watched his show from two days ago on eliminating stubborn belly fat and he also mentioned low sodium miso soup, golden berries and vitamin b12.. love dr. oz!!!

and what was his advice? you can't spot reduce and the only way besides surgery is a caloric deficit and cutting bf

Actually, you can spot reduce visceral fat with the right diet. And the first place I read that was not from Dr. Oz. It's been talked about for years now and there have been several studies showing that things like omega-3s specifically target visceral (belly) fat.

I don't take everything the man says as gospel, but then again, most of what I've heard him talk about is stuff I've read or heard elsewhere from very reliable sources.

He's not a dietician, but he consults with them and he knows how to read and interpret medical data.

And his overal weight loss advice is and always has been: Eat less and healthier and move more. I can't seem to find a problem with that.

Well said! :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    i would advise you that you don't get your nutritional advice from Dr Oz.

the 2 most important things of a diet are;
    1) a caloric deficit
    2)adherence

Yes, because what does a successful cardiologist who studies these things every day know about it?

The same cardiologist who makes millions on a TV show?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i would advise you that you don't get your nutritional advice from Dr Oz.

the 2 most important things of a diet are;
    1) a caloric deficit
    2)adherence

Yes, because what does a successful cardiologist who studies these things every day know about it?

The same cardiologist who makes millions on a TV show?

He had a successful career before he met Oprah. I don't watch every day, but I've watched enough to see that he's a reasonable, intelligent person and very rarely does he say something alarming or that makes me think he's any kind of fraud.

The apple juice thing is not a good example. He read the study and reacted to it. I don't necessarily agree that apple juice is a threat, but at the same time, he couldn't ignore the information.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Actually his weight loss advice depending on which magazine I'm reading that month has been in the past few months:

The eat right for your blood type diet

The HCG drops diet which he said both and his wife used

The 17 day Diet

He changes his diet recommendations in my women's magazines to whichever one pays him the most money that month I guess.
  • chris1529
    Options
    I've actually heard him say that a lot of products and magazines try to use his name to endorse products. I don't believe everything I read. So I'm not too sure that what the magazines say is 100% true...... I don't know and not going to pretend like I know either. I do know that he did have the 17 day diet on his show. And that title is deceiving because it really isn't a diet that you go on for 17 days lol. As for the HCG, I don't agree with that form of weight control. I feel like it is putting something in your body that shouldn't be there..... unless of course you are pregnant. Now, he did have a show on HCG and the doctors that were for HCG said that the drops are pretty much a waste cause you need it in shot form. I really don't know how Dr. Oz really feels about those products because most of the things that he talks about are NATURAL things!
  • chris1529
    Options
    And a lot of times he has other doctors that are on the show that are for and against certain medical products.
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    I have not seen his show, however a year ago or so I bought his book "You : On a diet".

Instead of giving you a boring ridiculous diet to follow(for 2 weeks), he explains exactly how your total body works together with food and exercise to make it healthy for a lifetime. The body mechanics was what loved most, and unlike anything else I've found. I found it so educational, written so normal people can understand it, the humor was a bit dry, but hey : ) So perhaps he's in it for the money (who isn't, we all need it, and he's able to spread his information to more people because of it, or just let others work and he stamps his name on it all, doesn't matter to me, it's the information I'm after).

But most importantly it's the kind of information that is educational and inspirational, no matter where it comes from, as long as it sinks in.... It's all good
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have watched Dr. Oz and it sounds like most of the (non medical) advice and information he gives was given to him by some production assistant who used the internet to do basic research. There have been times where he has been very wrong or at the least underinformed. His medical advice might be sound - but his nutrition, supplement, exercise, etc. type of information is often really flawed.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard him say that a lot of products and magazines try to use his name to endorse products. I don't believe everything I read. So I'm not too sure that what the magazines say is 100% true...... I don't know and not going to pretend like I know either. I do know that he did have the 17 day diet on his show. And that title is deceiving because it really isn't a diet that you go on for 17 days lol. As for the HCG, I don't agree with that form of weight control. I feel like it is putting something in your body that shouldn't be there..... unless of course you are pregnant. Now, he did have a show on HCG and the doctors that were for HCG said that the drops are pretty much a waste cause you need it in shot form. I really don't know how Dr. Oz really feels about those products because most of the things that he talks about are NATURAL things!

His picture was on the front of the magazine holding the drops and promoting the diet. His picture has been on the front of all 3 of the magazines. And his picture was with the articles inside too. I'd think he would sue if they were using his picture without his permission.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Maybe he does believe in the HCG Diet than. I don't! I still like him but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with every single thing that he says or believes in. I do use my own discernment as well. BUT for the most part I agree with him and like that he is about natural things.
  • schaeffers0127
    Options
    I think the advice Dr. Oz shares helps with choices to maintain caloric deficit and adherence

Just saying.......there are always tidbits out there that can help us reach our goals

:flowerforyou:
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    or nonsense like this
    http://gizmodo.com/5841120/this-is-why-dr-oz-is-worried-about-apple-juice

Above link rating booster and it worked, he does have some good stuff..
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Look into Eat to Live. Lots of great info. Anything you question do more research. (Dr. Oz, Personal doctor, individual reccomendations, gut feelings, whatever... ) look into it from all angles.

Good Luck