what diet to choose???!!!!???HELP ME

Replies

• rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    There is no diet that will help you. You need to do a lifestyle change that takes hard work, is slow progress, and sustainable as it is something you will be doing for the rest of your life hopefully.

100% correct. Just use MFP's system. It will tell you how many Calories to eat to reach your goal. It works. If you need a name, your diet is "Calorie Counting".

I agree.
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Do research- understanding how the body works and reacts to what we feed it is the most important thing you can do for your weight loss journey. Also understanding the nuances of weight training and cardio exercise is important. I have people that I read religiously for their insight on how to make changes. Of course, you don't have to agree with or follow what these individuals prescribe but it's essential to have a good foundation.

Once place to start is with: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

There are tons of places on the internet that will provide you with information. Use common sense to figure out what works for you!
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    I try to eat a lean diet works for me and just as simple as eating lean cuts of meat whole grains and veggies and fruits I dont belive in those extreme diets like atkins and so on but this is a lifestyle change for me when I think of the word diet I think of some thing short term but im eating lean for life there are tons books on lean eating as well
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    I have heard good things about the Diet Dr Pepper diet.

OMG there is a Diet Dr Pepper Diet? :love:

Yeah, you live on Diet Dr. Pepper, lose a bunch of weight, probably some hair, gain back all of the weight, and lose all credibility as a pesron that can make rational decisions.

But there is weight loss involved? SIGN. ME. UP. ::as I sip my DDP::
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    I'm on the "Eat what you want, just watch the portions and track the cals" diet....seems to be working alright for me.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    The best diet is one that you'll be able to stick with for the rest of your life, so you won't gain the weight back after you've lost it.

There's now any quick trick to it though, which is what most "diets" are. Just eat as healthy as you can... fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, lean proteins.

I wouldn't drop calories down to 1200 or any specific dieting number, you should find out what your BMR is (calories your body uses even at rest) and eat that and whatever calories you burn through exercise. Your calories lower as you lose weight, so I'd check BMR again every 10 lbs (WW points change every 10 pounds too). No reason to start yourself off at minimum and have nowhere to go because you slowed your metabolism.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Eat less, move more. Period.

As far as WHAT to eat, the Weight Watchers Good Health Guidelines are a good place to start (these are minimums, not maximums):

5 servings of fruits and/or vegetables each day
    Whole grains over simple carbs whenever possible
    Plenty of lean protein
    WATER!
    Two servings of dairy
    2 teaspoons of oil per day (preferable canola, flax or olive)

Work those things into your diet and then you can eat more of those or have a treat with whatever calories you have left.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Quit looking for a diet and start changing your life. This is not a quick fix. This is something that you are going to have to change for the rest of your life. You can't lose 130 lbs and then expect to keep it off by going back to your old habits.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Just eat a variety of healthy foods, exercise, log your food and exercise on here and eat all of the calories MFP allows you.

It works, no need to diet.

Ding ding ding

and water drink lots of water.

I kinda love this diet: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233474-the-latest-diet?hl=the+latest+diet

and I suggest you read lots and lots! Start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

there is SO much good information there. I particularly liked the your bodies thoughts on calories thread

Best of luck! :drinker:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change:)

Eat a variety of healthy nutritious foods. Watch your portion control and stay with in the calorie parameters set by MFP. Drink lots of water. Exercise - even if it is just a walk everyday. It varies for everyone but here's a few of my healthy food picks -

Oatmeal
    eggs
    low fat yogurt
    low fat cottage cheese
    string cheese
    whole grain bread
    lean meats - turkey and chicken
    fish, tuna, salmon
    healthy fats - nuts, olive oil, avocados
    fresh fruits
    fresh vegies

Try to avoid foods that are over processed. And again..portion control! Invest in a George Foreman grill for healthy cooking. AVOID FAD DIETS...they don't work. There is no quick fix. Sensible diet and everything in moderation WILL get you to your goal!! Best wishes!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    have tried HCG and it made me sick sick sick :/ so I am open to any OTHER suggestions then that diet. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!:embarassed:

Seems to me that your first road block is that you're looking for a quick fix, a pill, an injection, a fad, a "diet." What you need is to get this term "diet" redefined in your mind. You need to make a lifestyle change. Fruits, veggies, lean proteins, whole grains. Throw out the refined flours, the fast and fatty convenience foods. Get out and active, walk, run, bike, play, dance. Stick to a net calorie count that will fuel your body (1200 - 1600 maybe). You may not see 130 pounds in 52 weeks (that's a consistent 2.5 pounds a week!) but you will see something better as long as you do it right, healthy, and are dedicated.
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    I agree with all the above statements.

What I've noticed that works for me in the past in eating high fiber/high protein. I'm trying to aim for 20-25 grams of fiber a day, and up to 100 grams of protein a day. Also, I've heard about success with eating your goal weight maintenance calories and I'm more or less following that idea. For example.. my goal weight is 120lbs and to maintain a weight of 120lbs with little / no exercise I could eat up to 1525 calories a day (depending on the calculation used). Based on the calorie calculator I used with my current weight and little / no exercise, for me to lose weight at 184lbs I'd have to eat no more than 1874 calories a day. So, I aim to eat about 1500 calories (my 120lb maintenance calories) and I try not to go over 1800 calories (my 184lb maintenance calories) in any given day. I figured that since I'm losing weight and making a lifestyle change, I might as well build the habit of eating the 1500 calories since it is the amount of calories to maintain a weight of 120lbs with no exercise. When I do exercise, I can eat about 300-400 calories more if I want to.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    I would suggest not setting a deadline in this fashion. You need to change your lifestyle, including adding more exercise in. However, I can tell you that if you pressure yourself with deadlines, you're going to fail or gain it all back. If you ALREADY HAVE A WEDDING set up, somebody loves you for being who you are ALREADY. Think of it as being the best you for that "happily-ever-after" that you want to achieve. Don't set your "wedding day" as the time by which you want to be a certain size. Make it a goal to have established a healthy lifestyle as of... today -- because you want to have a happy long-term life. Maybe if you think of it that way, you can choose something that is achievable and maintainable in a healthy fashion. That would be my suggestion. That said, someone suggested South Beach. I've heard good things about that, and the eating style is fairly maintainable (for me, anyway), long term. I don't mind dropping a lot of the things that it drops, anyway. The Zone Diet (40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat) seems to be a good balance of energy and calorie balance. Do whatever you think that you can MAINTAIN, because large amounts of weight means large amounts of TIME. You'll notice that MFP recommends 1 pound/week (for women, at least). That's maintainable.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Stop Snacking. Chew gum if you have an oral fixation and can't stop eating.

Be honest, especially if you are a secret eater (I totally was).

Count your calories, keep it under 1500.

Make every calorie count. All thriller, no filler. You need fiber, fruits and veggies, protein, and complex carbs.

Drink More water.

Don't worry about exercise until you want to, and after you start feeling better through healthy nutrition you will want to. Until then, keep your hands busy so you don't snack. Play a video game, knit, anything that requires you keep your hands active.

You can drop 50-60 in a year easily doing this. It probably took much longer to put that weight on.
    Everything you say carries more weight because of your profile pic. I listen to that face.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Just eat a variety of healthy foods, exercise, log your food and exercise on here and eat all of the calories MFP allows you.

Ding ding ding

This
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    I have heard good things about the Diet Dr Pepper diet.

Hahahahahahah
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    the first 3 letters in diet spell out die....which is what most diets make you want to do......

Honestly i have tried diets and im always pretty successful on them (did medifast, dropped 30 pounds in 2 months, lost 15 doing nutrusystem the next 2 months after that) but this is because i NEVER CHEATED.....not even ONE BITE.....

I have shifted that discipline on to mfp.....i have whatever i want, just stay in portion size of what is reccomended....i weigh and measure EVERYTHING when i cook....this is important because they say most people underestimate their calories eaten and over estimate their calories burned.

Before i go out to eat at a restaraunt, i look up their menu online to see how much calories each thing i want is, or i log it in mfp before i go, so i know i can't have more than 16 chips with salsa or more than 3 chicken soft tacos at taco bell. Once you do this, you will be disgusted at how many calories you used to consume, thinking it wasn't even "that bad" for you.

I make better snack choices....i love sugar free puddings, or i home pop my own popcorn and use 3tbs kernals and 1tbs olive oil, skip the butter and add salt, garlic powder and parmesean cheese on it(or whatever flavors you like). This is all about change....lets say you only lose 80 pounds buy your goal weight.....thats 80 pounds you most likely will NEVER see again because you lost it by retraining your eating habits, rather than losing 130 pounds in a month only to gain it all back becaues al lyou learned out to do was drink a shake, or how to eat out of a package.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member

Ding ding ding

Ding!
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Eat the calories MPF recommends for you. Eat whole food. Nothing with preservatives. Half your body weight in water. I tend to keep my carbs lower but that is up to you. I also watch my sodium as it can make it or break it for me.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Try the 'lifestyle change' diet. MFP automatically calculates the correct number of calories to consume for this diet. Stay under your MFP allotted calories. Work out. Eat (at least some of) your exercise calories. Cut back on soda and processed foods. Eat more fresh, whole foods. Allow yourself junk food and other high-calorie stuff you like, just eat it in moderation and don't eat it ALL the time. Drink lots of water. Don't expect miracles or to lose 20lbs a month. Unlike other diets the weight loss from this one tends to LAST ;) I've lost 15lbs so far on the 'lifestyle change' diet.
This discussion has been closed.