Menace on Wheels...

Options
Jenn_W
Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
I would like to take the time to apologize to all of Chicago.

I am sorry!

I have been riding my bike to work, daily, for a week now. I am still new at this. I am painfully slow compared to most the Pavement Warriors out there every morning and evening. I try my hardest to stay out of your way, but still fail at times. I still am still learning all the proper rules, which way is best for me to take, etc... Again, I am sorry.

To add to my mess, I have a crappy, crappy cheap bike. I received it as a gift 3 weeks and the handlebars won't stay on and now the seat rocks loose at random moments, typically timed when someone (car, bike) is trying to pass me. I plan on buying a new 'road' bike and am open to suggests...

One more thought, dear Chicago... I am not going to stop. I am going to get a better bike and continue my reenactment of the little engine that could. I might suck today, tomorrow, and next month... but one of these days I am going to get the hang of it. I won't always be that chubby gal you curse at under your breathe... One of these days you won't even notice me!! I promise!

But in the meantime, please be patient with me...

Xoxo - Jenn

(Sorry for any spelling or grammar errors.)

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Love it, you gave me a great laugh!!! Nothing can get you down!! I, too, started riding my bike to work...scary for a country girl riding in town now! Keep on riding!
  • freshstart4me
    Options
    dear jenn:

the handlebars part made me pee my pants in laughter.. .. kick this bike to the curb and rock this!! you are awesome. and you talk like i do...which obviously i love.

signed,
    crazy lady in RI who apologized to her spin class via MFP when her pants feel down :)
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Way to keep at it Jenn, nothing to be embarrassed. And yes, please get a better bike....nothing more dangerous than a bike that's always breaking.

One suggestion, don't buy a bike from any department store. Go to a dedicated bike store. They can size you properly and usually the bike will include some sort of free maintenance for a year or so. It might be a bit more money, but you'll get better support and a better fit.
  • PattiDu
    PattiDu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I dug up my bike (which I haven't rode in over 5 years, that layed out behind my shed, rusting, tires cracking) My husband replaced my brake cables and only the front brakes work now and I have to pump up the tire now before I ride it. I don't go too far, luckily I have a place away from traffic and other bikes, but I still feel like I am going to wipe out on it every time I hit a speed bump or have to swerve to miss something. I had to go to ****'s Sporting Goods and buy a seat cushion (believe me this made all the difference in the world). The worse part is actually getting on the bike. When I was younger I could just throw my leg up and over the seat and a way I go, now my hips pops everytime I do that, so I have to get on it the sissy way and push myself off and hope I go. So anyway, best of luck...and keep up the good work, at least we're tryin right!
  • momie0205
    Options
    Man I spent a week in chicago and them people can be rude. Don't let them sway you not to ride your bike. Keep on trucking.

I think I can I think I can I think I can!!!! CHOO CHOO!!!!