Nice Idea to stop being tempted

Options

Replies

• LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Why not just NOT have the stuff in the house to start?

Wow, that was my thought! And if its in the house because someone else eats/drinks it, learn to ignore it..I have 3 kids and husband. You are an adult, and need to make adult choices.

This and this. Grow up. Have some control, and stop wasting food.

Hello...If I (we) had some control, we wouldn't need to lose weight, or use this site.....It's a learning process, and resisting the urge however you can is a great start.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    What? So you buy it, take it home and then throw it away?

Exactly. Like lottery tickets.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The tough part to all this is, you have the food in front of you and you are craving to eat it. In a sane moment, non-craving moment, our philanthropic side is great.
    Throwing vs giving it away - giving it away wins.
    eating vs throwing - what wins ?
    eating vs giving it away - what wins when you are craving for the food and tempted ?

What the balls are you talking about? I'm sure I'm just not understanding you because I'm not terribly clever, so if you could spell it out for me, that would be just super.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Wow, that was my thought! And if its in the house because someone else eats/drinks it, learn to ignore it..I have 3 kids and husband. You are an adult, and need to make adult choices.

Hello...If I (we) had some control, we wouldn't need to lose weight, or use this site.....It's a learning process, and resisting the urge however you can is a great start.

Using this site is not an indication that one is lacking in self control. Sure, some people certainly have that problem, but there are people like myself that simply did not care much or pay attention much to nutrition and now by being thoughtful about it, the weight starts coming off. Nothing to do with self control at all. I think throwing food away in order to resist temptation is a sign that you need some therapy.
  • ladycomix
    Options
    Or...you could spray some windex on it

This is why my son says chocolate is spot free and not delicious
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I live with two skinny guys who can eat all they want and although they do eat healthy they also like treats and so they are in the house. Bar locking these things away from me they are always going to be a temptation. (I have been known to eat my sons chocolate and have to go out and buy another before he got back) so I understand where the poster is coming from.

Another idea is if you have taken a bite put the rest in the sink immediatley while your mouth is still enjoying it and pour washing up liquid on it that removes the temptation to finish it just because you started it.:ohwell:
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Using this site is not an indication that one is lacking in self control. Sure, some people certainly have that problem, but there are people like myself that simply did not care much or pay attention much to nutrition and now by being thoughtful about it, the weight starts coming off. Nothing to do with self control at all. I think throwing food away in order to resist temptation is a sign that you need some therapy.

For many people, food is an addiction...Much like alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs....Now if I were a drug addict, would you tell me it was ridiculous to throw away my stash??

&& Thanks for the suggestion for therapy :) You guys are always so helpful and supportive of of fellow MFP'ers....
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    I agree! I threw out a cookie today and felt totally in control! It's hard to get over the feeling of "wasting" food, but isn't it worse to just store it on my hips?
    Isn't it better to just NOT eat it, or NOT buy it in the first place?
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP, its a great method. You can have some of it and then throw it away.

Those that think its wasting it, its just as much of a waste if someone that doesnt NEED it eats it anyway. And I think the OP's point was if you DO happen to have bought it and are going to eat it. Obviously at the time of purchase you arent saying in your head 'this is to go in the bin!'.

Everyone lay off a bit! No need to rip OP a new one.
  • killagb
    Options

For many people, food is an addiction...Much like alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs....Now if I were a drug addict, would you tell me it was ridiculous to throw away my stash??

&& Thanks for the suggestion for therapy :) You guys are always so helpful and supportive of of fellow MFP'ers....

No I would repeat what I just said and tell you to seek professional help. Clearly there's something wrong if a person has to go to such extremes to resist, no matter what substance we're talking about.
  • killagb
    Options
    I agree with OP, its a great method. You can have some of it and then throw it away.

Those that think its wasting it, its just as much of a waste if someone that doesnt NEED it eats it anyway. And I think the OP's point was if you DO happen to have bought it and are going to eat it. Obviously at the time of purchase you arent saying in your head 'this is to go in the bin!'.

So give the food to the homeless and then you can feel better about it in more ways than one.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Cause you're a man...and you're the only one in this thread that makes any sense......
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

So give the food to the homeless and then you can feel better about it in more ways than one.

I think the point is its a spur of the moment resisting temptation thing. Obviously, if it werent, the food wouldnt be bought in the first place - and if we really didnt want it after it had been bought, then sure, the homeless could have it. But that isnt the point of the post. And I'm not sure my half a cookie in the bin is going to hurt too many people.
  • mdfeller
    Options
    Wow, some of you are just really rude hateful people. Here the OP was trying to give a little insight to what has worked for her, and you tear her a new one. Shaking my head... My mama always told me, if ya aint got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothin. You don't like her idea, fine. Don't tear her down about it. Shame on you.

To the OP, I think that's a great idea. :)
  • killagb
    Options
    Wow, some of you are just really rude hateful people. Here the OP was trying to give a little insight to what has worked for her, and you tear her a new one. Shaking my head... My mama always told me, if ya aint got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothin. You don't like her idea, fine. Don't tear her down about it. Shame on you.

Your mama didn't raise me. :bigsmile:
  • mdfeller
    Options

No I would repeat what I just said and tell you to seek professional help. Clearly there's something wrong if a person has to go to such extremes to resist, no matter what substance we're talking about.

Uh, what? Someone who resists the urge to eat that last piece of fudge by throwing it away means that they need professional help? Wow.
  • mdfeller
    Options

Your mama didn't raise me. :bigsmile:

You're right. She also taught manners. :bigwink:
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    There are always going to be temptations out there, we can't control that. I dont buy the stuff buy still come in contact with it often. I also heard once that when you eat out as soon as you are satisfied poor water over your food so your not tempted to keep picking at it. Thanks for the advice!
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

My mama also taught me how to tell the difference between a man or a woman. :P
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    In regards to the topic, if it was in the house prior to starting a new lifestyle, see if anyone else in the house wants to finish them off, before considering throwing them away. Then don't buy it again after that!
    Or you know, work it into your calories once or twice a week.
    That's what I did with the leftover icecream the first couple weeks I started this.