Nice Idea to stop being tempted

Options

Replies

• LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Why not just NOT have the stuff in the house to start?

Wow, that was my thought! And if its in the house because someone else eats/drinks it, learn to ignore it..I have 3 kids and husband. You are an adult, and need to make adult choices.

This and this. Grow up. Have some control, and stop wasting food.

Hello...If I (we) had some control, we wouldn't need to lose weight, or use this site.....It's a learning process, and resisting the urge however you can is a great start.

Using this site is not an indication that one is lacking in self control. Sure, some people certainly have that problem, but there are people like myself that simply did not care much or pay attention much to nutrition and now by being thoughtful about it, the weight starts coming off. Nothing to do with self control at all. I think throwing food away in order to resist temptation is a sign that you need some therapy.

For many people, food is an addiction...Much like alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs....Now if I were a drug addict, would you tell me it was ridiculous to throw away my stash??

&& Thanks for the suggestion for therapy :) You guys are always so helpful and supportive of of fellow MFP'ers....

No I would repeat what I just said and tell you to seek professional help. Clearly there's something wrong if a person has to go to such extremes to resist, no matter what substance we're talking about.

Uh, what? Someone who resists the urge to eat that last piece of fudge by throwing it away means that they need professional help? Wow.

I know, right.....Apparently, if said person were to make a whole batch of fudge, that person should either eat every last peice of it or let it sit in the fridge until it goes bad....I mean, at what point CAN you throw it away?? What if I want one serving of something that I don't know how to only make one serving of; what should I do with the rest????

Maybe me and my therapist can talk about it :)
  • mdfeller
    Options
    Wow, some of you are just really rude hateful people. Here the OP was trying to give a little insight to what has worked for her, and you tear her a new one. Shaking my head... My mama always told me, if ya aint got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothin. You don't like her idea, fine. Don't tear her down about it. Shame on you.

To the OP, I think that's a great idea. :)
    My mama also taught me how to tell the difference between a man or a woman. :P

My bad. No pic, no other info in original posting. I don't go check out the genitals before responding. Guess I should start, so no one doesn't hate on me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine gave me this idea. I initially thought, it was the worst idea ever but it works great. Sorry for saying it though.
    If you are ever craving for some bad food, chocolate, ice cream, anything that is actually bad for your wright loss goals, just become insane for a few seconds and throw it in garbage.

Feel bad, kick yourself after the fact, but at the moment, become a jerk, become an idiot, and throw it in garbage. The moment to eat it will pass and you would have successfully resisted temptation.

It has worked wonders for me.

why are you calling choc, ice cream etc bad? and how is it bad for your weight loss goals if you fit it into your cals?

no food is inherently "bad" and certainly not in moderation
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Super glad that my completely logical post has been quoted a dozen plus times so far and turned this into a giant hate fest.

It's pretty simple, but then again, I like succeeding, so the simple path of not buying it, just makes sense to me.

No therapy, no rage, just a little willpower, focus, and positive attitude.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

Wow, that was my thought! And if its in the house because someone else eats/drinks it, learn to ignore it..I have 3 kids and husband. You are an adult, and need to make adult choices.

I am constantly amazed at how rude people can be on here sometimes. You can still get your point across without the negative undertones. How about giving her some helpful hints on how to get past her temptations or tricks she can do to hide it/ignore it? You can be helpful without being condescending. Just sayin'!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I am constantly amazed at how rude people can be on here sometimes. You can still get your point across without the negative undertones. How about giving her some helpful hints on how to get past her temptations or tricks she can do to hide it/ignore it? You can be helpful without being condescending. Just sayin'!

You should practice what you're preaching. Just sayin'!
  • killagb
    Options

I know, right.....Apparently, if said person were to make a whole batch of fudge, that person should either eat every last peice of it or let it sit in the fridge until it goes bad....I mean, at what point CAN you throw it away?? What if I want one serving of something that I don't know how to only make one serving of; what should I do with the rest????

If you make an entire batch of something to have just one bite, you're lacking a brain.
  • Justjoshin
    Options
    For the record. My original comment was not meant with any hateful or rude undertones.
    I was simply stating that it would be more sensible to not purchase said items, if the only other option is to send yourself into a fit of rage and throw things away.
  • Hnter1976
    Options
    why are people freaking out about someone wasting food? did you buy it for them? are they on public assistance and spending your tax dollars on the food they wasted? Its their money and their food they can do whatever they hell they want to with it.
  • Cella30
    Options

You should practice what you're preaching. Just sayin'!

I am. Reread it. Lol
  • mdfeller
    Options

If you make an entire batch of something to have just one bite, you're lacking a brain.

Still shaking head....
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For the record. My original comment was not meant with any hateful or rude undertones.
    I was simply stating that it would be more sensible to not purchase said items, if the only other option is to send yourself into a fit of rage and throw things away.

Best case, yeah, you are right, the food just shouldn't be purchased...but, when it comes down to that point that you know you are going to eat the whole tub of ice cream if you take a bite, then you should save yourself the harm and toss it.
  • Cella30
    Options
    Wow, some of you are just really rude hateful people. Here the OP was trying to give a little insight to what has worked for her, and you tear her a new one. Shaking my head... My mama always told me, if ya aint got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothin. You don't like her idea, fine. Don't tear her down about it. Shame on you.

To the OP, I think that's a great idea. :)

Your mama didn't raise me. :bigsmile:

You're right. She also taught manners. :bigwink:

:drinker:
  • killagb
    Options

Still shaking head....

Might wanna get checked out for Parkinson's.
  • mdfeller
    Options
    good one dude.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    That's why I dont buy it or allow it in the house in the first place cuz if it's there, I WILL CRUSH IT.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I agree! I threw out a cookie today and felt totally in control! It's hard to get over the feeling of "wasting" food, but isn't it worse to just store it on my hips?

I totally agree with this. I told my boyfriend that we are going to STOP taking home left overs from restaurants, we just end up eating it later when we aren't even hungry.

It's wasted calories. Sorry I got off the topic a bit! If people are truly concerned with the starving children, then please go help them. Just because I threw food away, doesn't mean it could have helped them.
  • Justjoshin
    Options

Best case, yeah, you are right, the food just shouldn't be purchased...but, when it comes down to that point that you know you are going to eat the whole tub of ice cream if you take a bite, then you should save yourself the harm and toss it.

The response I would like to make would be... If you know you are the type of person that if you eat a bite of icecream , you are going to eat the entire tub... then you shouldn't buy icecream.

BUT.. since it's assumed I am trying to be rude, I will just not say anything!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses but for the people saying don't buy it.. in theory that's a good idea. But in my case, my husband has no need to cut his calories. He works physically all day, is in great shape, and can afford to have some Haagen Dazs or Nutella when the mood strikes him. Me on the other hand, not so much lol well I can have a LITTLE but yeah the temptation of it being in the house is kind of tough.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just not buy it in the first place? A lot simpler and it saves money.