Why Fruit May Be Holding You Back

Options

Replies

• mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Terry's Chocolate Oranges will ALWAYS be on my "safe to eat" list. Always.
    Always.

OP - Thanks for that finely researched piece, I had no idea fruit could be so worthless, or even sabotage my weight loss journey. Rest assured I shall be sticking to good old honest McD's, pizza, and KFC from this point. (Btw - can I still eat Terry's Chocolate Oranges as part of my 5-a-day?)

Terrys-Chocolate-Orange-007.jpg

ACE Pet Detective 25 years
    Scouts Fire Lighting badge
    Senior Troll
    Well known asshat

Oh, I haven't seen one of those in forever!! Now I want one!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Water will also make you gain weight....It's true! I once drank 1/2 a gallon of water, I gained 4lbs. I gave up water that day!

I believe in the Bible diets. God Created Fruit. The only time fruit was a wrong choice was when man let sin in the world.

I just got in trouble for being on the internet at work because I had an audible laugh lol
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    There'll be a thread on why we shouldn't drink water tomorrow....
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Given that the vast majority if epidemiology studies have demonstrated that all types of fruit are associated with longer life, you'd have to be pretty stupid to avoid them for health reasons!

And where else do you want to get your carbs? Do anyone actually still think that bread is healthier than fruit? The glycemic load of most fruits actually isn't that bad b/c of all the fiber they have. And then there is the massive amount of vitamins, antioxidants, etc that you'd be missing w/o fruit.

The fructose in fruit may possibly be an issue for professional bodybuilders with 6% body fat trying to get down to 3%. Otherwise it's completely irrelevant.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    bump
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There always has to be some "villain food," holding us back from our inner, skinny, healthy selves, isn't there? It used to be fats. Now it's carbs or, more specifically, sugars. I think it's ridiculous to blame sugars (even simple sugars) for making us fat. It's even more ridiculous to demonize sugar from fruit. We got fat because we ate too much in general, not just too much sugar (or carbs).

Just check out this professor, losing weight on a diet rich in Hostess cakes and Twinkies: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a lot of crape mixed with a little junk science to me.
  • TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    Okay.......so what do I believe? I've been eating a lot of fruit because I thought it was good for me. I usually eat two plums and a nectarine and maybe a peach every day. Is that too much? Even if it is, I KNOW it's better than what I was eating before... :(

Check out myplate.gov--it will give proper portion for BALANCED NUTRITION! Very important. I'm 51 and should have 1.5 cups of fruit a day. I always choose fresh.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am not doing WW, but I do know they tell you that you don't have to count your fruits. If your theory is true then how do you explain that? Just curious.
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    Shut up.

Shut up forever.
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    This is fine with me, I am not a fan of fruit! I actually ate some today..ugh. Where are my veggies! :wink:
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'm a big berry eater because they fit my nutritional goals so well, and I'm in a healthy weight range so not in any hurry to lose the last 2 pounds. But any time I've wanted to speed things up I've found that cutting fruit AND grains usually does the trick quite nicely. Then I go back to my regularly scheduled programming.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    One time I was accosted by a bunch of bananas. They held me down, drugged me. I woke up pants unbuttoned. It was a horrible experience, one I will never forget. As revenge I have vowed to eat one of their kind every single day. F U, bananas. F. U.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    LOL.

The OP has 2 posts.

1. Creating this thread 9 months ago.
    2. Necrobumping it today.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    One time I was accosted by a bunch of bananas. They held me down, drugged me. I woke up pants unbuttoned. It was a horrible experience, one I will never forget. As revenge I have vowed to eat one of their kind every single day. F U, bananas. F. U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Bananas in your pajamas? :P
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I believe in the Bible diets. God Created Fruit. The only time fruit was a wrong choice was when man let sin in the world.

LOL..there are an awful lot of things that God 'created' that you just wouldn't wanna eat.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    LOL.

The OP has 2 posts.

Ah. <backing away.>
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    LOL.

The OP has 2 posts.

ThreadNecromancy-1.jpg
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    The issue with fruit is not the amount of calories that we get from it, but the quality of them.
    I import all of my calories from China. I know they're lower quality, but they're a lot cheaper.